Author Topic: Starting WoW...  (Read 12403 times)

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
Starting WoW...
« on: May 27, 2007, 05:02:18 pm »
Yes, I have joined the bandwagon.

But, I have no idea what the heck to do... I don't know what server or even what character to play... Should I play a PvP server? PvE? RP?

;\

Help.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 05:18:04 pm by skip »

Offline SNiFFeR

• Sexy
    • View Profile
    • k
Re: Starting WoW...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 05:32:49 pm »
PvP. Blackwing Lair  :D (Horde).

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 06:35:27 pm »
RPPvP Maelstrom.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 06:58:11 pm »
What should I be?  :D

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 07:25:16 pm »
Depends on your playstyle. The worldofwarcraft.com website has a "Classes" page describing the different types of classes and what they do more. As well as Pros/Cons
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 08:47:37 pm »
Play on Crushridge PvP Alliance

Me and Furious play there.

Make a charater you like to play. Like to heal? Roll a Priest. Like to be over powered and rape faces? Roll a Warlock.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 01:16:35 am »
TOO LATE! He's on Maelstrom suckas!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 01:27:21 am »
I've found, that for me, being ganked is one of the most frustrating experiences in WoW.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 02:08:46 am »
I've found, that for me, being ganked is one of the most frustrating experiences in WoW.
If all you play is PvP you don't know any better :P. And plus, what would the point be of not being able to attack enemies whenever you see them?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 02:21:33 am »
If all you play is PvP you don't know any better :P. And plus, what would the point be of not being able to attack enemies whenever you see them?

It's trivially easy to imagine what the game would be like without ganking.  I don't think it's likely that it wouldn't occur to people either.  I started out on a PvP server and intentionally switched to a RP server, the ganking being my primary reason for doing so.

What do you mean what's the point?  I like the structure that a non-PvP server provides: you PvP when you want to (granted that you cannot initiate attacks, but there are still battlegrounds, which are far more productive and (I'd argue) fun) and you can quest or grind without being bothered when you feel like it.  Also, you call them "enemies."  This implies that they've done something to warrant your disdain for them.  Not that this has anything to do with what you're saying (it was probably just a hasty choice of words), but it really grinds my gears when people say "damnit I hate the (Horde|Alliance)."  I realize it's me making something out of practically nothing, but it really does bug me.  Probably because I have good friends on both sides and I take words too literally. :P

I am absolutely against ganking -- even when on a PvP server.  When I say "ganking," I mean the attacking of a player when said player has a low chance of surviving.  I don't mind a fair (or even unbalanced, as long as reasonable hope exists) fight, but, until you reach a high level, these are few and far between.  I always make an effort to fight back if I'm attacked, but I never strike first.  The people who I play with feel exactly the same way.

While I agree that it adds some aspect of excitement to the game, I am still quite confident when I say I believe that the frustration negates it and then some.

Anyway, I talked to much.  sorry. :P

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 08:08:51 am »

It's trivially easy to imagine what the game would be like without ganking.  I don't think it's likely that it wouldn't occur to people either.  I started out on a PvP server and intentionally switched to a RP server, the ganking being my primary reason for doing so.

What do you mean what's the point?  I like the structure that a non-PvP server provides: you PvP when you want to (granted that you cannot initiate attacks, but there are still battlegrounds, which are far more productive and (I'd argue) fun) and you can quest or grind without being bothered when you feel like it.  Also, you call them "enemies."  This implies that they've done something to warrant your disdain for them.  Not that this has anything to do with what you're saying (it was probably just a hasty choice of words), but it really grinds my gears when people say "damnit I hate the (Horde|Alliance)."  I realize it's me making something out of practically nothing, but it really does bug me.  Probably because I have good friends on both sides and I take words too literally. :P

I am absolutely against ganking -- even when on a PvP server.  When I say "ganking," I mean the attacking of a player when said player has a low chance of surviving.  I don't mind a fair (or even unbalanced, as long as reasonable hope exists) fight, but, until you reach a high level, these are few and far between.  I always make an effort to fight back if I'm attacked, but I never strike first.  The people who I play with feel exactly the same way.

While I agree that it adds some aspect of excitement to the game, I am still quite confident when I say I believe that the frustration negates it and then some.

Anyway, I talked to much.  sorry. :P

Carebear.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 09:51:42 am »
I used to feel like you Sidoh. Then I realized the Horde are as blood thirsty as I was. Of course I don't gank lowbies (much), but theres a very little chance that if I see someone within five levels of me I'll let them live or at the very least try to kill them.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 01:35:48 pm »
I like ganking because when motherfuckers be stealin' my motherfuckin' creeps for a quest, they get motherfuckin' blasted.

Oh, and I gets my motherfuckin' creeps.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline ZeroX

• View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 02:04:53 pm »
I like ganking because when motherfuckers be stealin' my motherfuckin' creeps for a quest, they get motherfuckin' blasted.

Warlocks LOL
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 02:27:06 pm »

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 03:14:09 pm »
I love playing on the PvP servers.  I don't ever attack first, but I do kill them or atleast try and kill them if they attack me.  I rather enjoy going around and scaring lower level horde and following them around.  If they draw too many NPC's I usually kill the NPC's for them or I just help them out in general because I am bored.  I have only had one horde help me out, and that was after killing me 3 times.  After that he followed me around and told other horde to leave me alone and he killed NPC's for me.  It was rather fun.

And if you aren't on a PvP server, can you not raid then?  Because raiding is sooooooooo much fun!
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 03:29:32 pm »

Warlocks LOL

My warlock has never lost to a druid LOL!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 03:34:06 pm »
I love playing on the PvP servers.  I don't ever attack first, but I do kill them or atleast try and kill them if they attack me.  I rather enjoy going around and scaring lower level horde and following them around.  If they draw too many NPC's I usually kill the NPC's for them or I just help them out in general because I am bored.  I have only had one horde help me out, and that was after killing me 3 times.  After that he followed me around and told other horde to leave me alone and he killed NPC's for me.  It was rather fun.

And if you aren't on a PvP server, can you not raid then?  Because raiding is sooooooooo much fun!

Okay?  I'm not really sure what you're trying to say there.

Of course you can raid on PvE servers...

My warlock has never lost to a druid LOL!

1 on 1 pvp doesn't really say much about the viability of a class.  Given a party composed of classes that aren't warlocks or druids, I'd take a druid over a warlock any day.  I'm really sure my level 32 druid can crit for more than a comparative warlock (meaning not really good gear).  I had a crit on a caster for 600 last night.

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 04:33:45 pm »

That's what I'm saying! *cough* Elemental Plateau

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 04:50:30 pm »

Okay?  I'm not really sure what you're trying to say there.

Of course you can raid on PvE servers...
Sorry if it was confusing?  I was just saying what type of server I like to play on.  I don't see how what I said could come across as confusing, but then again I was the one who wrote it so it made sense to me.

On a PvE server, would the raid be the same though?  Since you can't attack the horde just out of nowhere then aren't you just fighting the NPCs?  I'm asking because I honestly don't know.  If you can only attack NPC's in a raid, then that's boring IMO.
And all winds that liven

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 01:07:12 pm »
i think you'll be flagged at pvp if you attack an npc. so then everyone can attack you.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 01:14:47 pm »
i think you'll be flagged at pvp if you attack an npc. so then everyone can attack you.
Oh, that would make sense. 
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 01:43:39 pm »

That is correct.  Plus, you can manually flag yourself (/pvp).  My friend and I had our PvP flags up last night while we were questing in Hellfire Peninsula and we had 5 PvP encounters, which is pretty good considering we didn't see many more Horde players than that.  Also, if you enter an enemy capital, your PvP flag will automatically be activated.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 03:17:41 pm »
I'm playing on Maelstrom as a Human Paladin (Holy spec)!

I played for about 5 hours straight Sunday and 6 hours straight Monday. I just got home from school and I plan on playing 'til 11ish. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 04:30:03 pm »
Holy?  Pah! :P

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 05:48:16 pm »
Ah, I hope you know you're about finished when you get to level 20 on demo.

Hit me up, I'll get you on Hdx's server.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline ZeroX

• View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 06:42:46 pm »

Yeah if you want to level alone and play the game all over agian with a tool GM.

"This is not one of those l33t servers"
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 07:10:53 pm »
Don't worry, I'll be setting up a server (with the latest patch and black temple) pretty soon and getting someone to host it while I remain in full power.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 11:14:02 pm »
Don't worry, I'll be setting up a server (with the latest patch and black temple) pretty soon and getting someone to host it while I remain in full power.
When someone hosts a server can they level people up and give them all the gold they want?  Or is it more like how regular WoW is?
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 11:26:49 pm »
 You can do anything.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2007, 01:13:39 am »
When someone hosts a server can they level people up and give them all the gold they want?  Or is it more like how regular WoW is?

Yep.  They have complete control over just about every variable in the game.

Offline SNiFFeR

• Sexy
    • View Profile
    • k
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2007, 03:08:55 am »
I want to play ^^

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2007, 04:16:15 am »

Yep.  They have complete control over just about every variable in the game.
Yeah, I want in on that. lmfao!
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2007, 04:59:57 am »

How many hours of the day is your ass being laughed off? :P

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2007, 07:51:00 am »
Yeah, it's nice to play on a 3rd party server.  I played on Warrior's last attempt and had a 70 T5 Shaman, 70 druid, 70 warrior and a 70 rogue  :P

Biggest downfall is the lack of players.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline ZeroX

• View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2007, 12:09:40 pm »
If we get this running iam sure alot of us would play on it and just fuck around. I wouldnt mine doing a black temple with all of us that play in all tier 6 =]
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2007, 12:33:52 pm »

No worries, I've ordered a hard copy of the game. :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2007, 02:56:37 pm »

Why?

When/if I get consent from Hdx, I'll post a big long guide on getting set up on his server.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2007, 05:24:53 pm »

How many hours of the day is your ass being laughed off? :P
Many many an hour.  I have laughed all the ass off. :(
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2007, 06:49:50 pm »

Why?

When/if I get consent from Hdx, I'll post a big long guide on getting set up on his server.

Because Private Servers are a waste of time and get boring after a few days? There are only so many instances to do, places to explore, etc. I got bored rather quickly.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2007, 08:52:32 pm »
Because Private Servers are a waste of time and get boring after a few days? There are only so many instances to do, places to explore, etc. I got bored rather quickly.

I agree.  It's for the same reason that "cheating" on any game gets boring after a short time.  It isn't nearly as "satisfying" as playing the game the way it is meant to be played.

I have no objections to private servers.  I'd love to try one out sometime.  However, I don't think that it is a sufficient supplement for the actual game.

Offline Chromium Bass

• Giggity Giggity Goo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2007, 10:29:32 pm »
there is 1 game where I believe cheating does not suck any fun out, and that is GTA.  Just thought I'd say that  ;D

But yes, on topic:  I've wondered about private servers, I've seen some videos on youtube that have sparked my interest.  But I agree that ultimately it would become boring in of a day or 2.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2007, 10:32:33 pm »
Cheating is fun in GTA, but it still rapidly decays the fun.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2007, 11:31:18 pm »
DING 60!

YAY.

It took me a about 2 months.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Maelstrom&n=Dhave

You were right about that Sidoh. I got awesome quest reward armor. :]

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2007, 02:45:38 am »
Damn... ><  I wish I was able to play!  FFS!
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus