Author Topic: Question about how javaop uses the dns/hosts  (Read 2411 times)

Offline pro_

• View Profile
Question about how javaop uses the dns/hosts
« on: May 30, 2007, 08:54:16 pm »
I have bots for different clients, and i tried a temporary workaround until .43 to let me use 2 different bnls servers without reloading javaop, i load the wc3 bot, then i edit my hosts file to point jbls to the valhallalegends IP, but when i try to load the BW bot after this it seems to be ignoring the hosts file, and connecting to jbls anyway.  So, either the hosts file is being ignored completely, or the IP is held in some cache.  If it is the latter, is there any way to clear this cache while javaop is running?

Offline 3ICE

• View Profile
Re: Question about how javaop uses the dns/hosts
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 02:20:16 am »
JavaOP does not use too much RAM (on my computer it runs smooth with that 2 MB i set it to)
so you could just install it twice and have 2 config files. and it would not be so bad. (just 2 windows not 1 i could accept it) Problem solved :)

Offline LordVader

• Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
    • James Moss on the web!
Re: Question about how javaop uses the dns/hosts
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 03:15:34 am »
@pro_
As you suggested the next release will have the BNLS servers shifted to a per-bot basis instead of global, so that much will be addressed hopefully then.

As far as the file "hosts" is concerned what do you mean, are you refering to the windows "hosts" file, or something particular to the bot?

If you are refering to the hosts file that handles dns/ip cache info, that is loaded and is probably cached when you boot up you're pc and possibly updated periodicly, similar to how windows loads up dll's and other files located in you're windows & system32 directories etc..

I'm not sure how to force an update to that, or if it's even necessary.
But you may find some info to help here:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm

I'm assuming you are wanting to have an entry such as:
BNLS bnls.valhallalegends.com

and be able to edit/change it to something like:
BNLS hdx.jbls.org

Something along those lines, and edit/change that to connect to different bnls/jbls servers correct?

*Edit:
Re-worded and added some info.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 05:49:05 am by LordVader »