Author Topic: A/C? Who needs A/C?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
A/C? Who needs A/C?
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:45:29 am »
http://community.livejournal.com/techsupport/1368038.html

From: $user who for whatever reason came in on Monday when no one else was in the building.
To: IT Dept.
Re: A/C constantly running.

Hi Guys,

I came in today (Monday) to finish up a project I was working on before our big meeting with a potential client tomorrow, and I noticed that there were three or four large air conditioners running the entire time I was here. Since it's a three day weekend, no one is around, why do we need to have the A/C running 24/7? With all the power that all those big computers in that room use, I doubt it is really eco-friendly to run those big units at the same time. And all computers have cooling fans anyway, so why put the A/C for the building in that room? I got a keycard from $facilitiesmanager's desk and shut off the A/C units. I'm sure you guys can deal with it being warm for an hour or two when you come in tomorrow morning. In the future, let's try to be a little more conscientious of our energy usage. Thanks.

RESULT:

Fatalities: Exchange Server, Domain Controllers, a few Sun boxes that I'm not sure of the usage.
Near-Fatalities: Phone Switch, Apps Servers.

Temperature of server room 7AM Tuesday Morning: 90 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Status of Employee who sent the above e-mail: Terminated.

Some people should know better than to meddle...

Offline chuck

• Canadian Biathlete
    • View Profile
    • Chucks Blog
Re: A/C? Who needs A/C?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 09:54:41 am »
Ouch.

Since my server is in my basement, when the CPU temp gets higher than 25° celsius, I begin to worry. The inside of the case is about 18° all day. Now if it where 32°.....
Chucks Blog
JavaOp2 Plugins

Error, keyboard not connected. Press F1 to continue.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 10:56:33 am »
The temp is *probably* ok for newer machines, as long as it isn't sustained, but having a full day of that (and probably even hotter, at the peak) would probably fry the older machines pretty fast.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:46:52 pm »
Lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!  That sucks so much!  I can't believe he thought that the computers cooling fans would be enough with all of those computers in one room.  *sigh*
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 10:04:43 pm »
My dad put all his computers out in the garage.

A garage in Arizona is 100°F+ all the time. Computers packed together get relatively hot.

After the first day of all of his computers shutting down automatically, he's waiting to find a swamp cooler to stick in his garage. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 02:32:43 pm »
Jesus, I'd never use my computer in my garage. Just sitting out there to use it would be like suicide. (I live in AZ for those that don't know)
Hitmen: art is gay