Author Topic: Glider Ban Wave, the second!  (Read 12985 times)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
Re: Glider Ban Wave, the second!
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2007, 11:46:00 am »
it makes it's folder hidden.
Possessive pronouns don't have an apostrophe! Stop giving them one!!
HA!  It wasn't me this time!! :D
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2007, 09:22:32 pm »
This just took a serious turn for the worst. :P
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2007, 10:08:49 pm »
Sorry for the bump, but most of the detection is based on "characteristics" of a bot, not the actual presence of the software.
- Running in "robotic" patterns, stopping, swiveling, and walking again.
- Jumping in a rhythmic pattern.
- Walking in small circles, if your patrol sucks.
- Walking in circles at all, if people are bored enough to watch.
- If you're farming anything worth farming, other people will probably be farming as well. They may try to interact with you, or watch you.
- Also in more populated areas, following the same patrol as another botter, especially of the other faction. That's almost a dead giveaway, every time.

What you're suggesting, sandboxing it, is sort of what Glider does.
- Glider runs WoW as a non-administrator user.
- It automagically changes it's EXE's name as well as window title, so a simple window listing or task listing can't find it.
- IIRC, it sort of regenerates itself, moving functions and whatnot around in memory at random, so a memory hash can't be a reliable fingerprint.
- Although Warden doesn't scan the hard drive (yet?), it makes it's folder hidden.

Now it's time for some, "Joe, you're wrong!" one of this forums favourite games!

I will rewrite Joe's quote now removing all that is incorrect!

Sorry for the bump, but most of the detection is based on "characteristics" of a bot, not the actual presence of the software.
- Walking in circles at all, if people are bored enough to watch.    <-- Obvious
- If you're farming anything worth farming, other people will probably be farming as well. They may try to interact with you, or watch you.    <-- Obvious
- Also in more populated areas, following the same patrol as another botter, especially of the other faction. That's almost a dead giveaway, every time.    <-- Obvious

- It automagically changes it's EXE's name as well as window title, so a simple window listing or task listing can't find it.
- IIRC, it sort of regenerates itself, moving functions and whatnot around in memory at random, so a memory hash can't be a reliable fingerprint.
- Although Warden doesn't scan the hard drive (yet?), it makes its folder hidden.

Oh, and bump.  :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007, 09:27:20 am »
- Walking in circles at all, if people are bored enough to watch.
- If you're farming anything worth farming, other people will probably be farming as well. They may try to interact with you, or watch you.
- Also in more populated areas, following the same patrol as another botter, especially of the other faction. That's almost a dead giveaway, every time.

- Although Warden doesn't scan the hard drive (yet?), it makes it's folder hidden.

Now it's time for some, "Joe, you're wrong!" one of this forums favourite games!

I will rewrite Joe's quote now removing all that is incorrect!

- Walking in circles at all, if people are bored enough to watch.    <-- Obvious
- If you're farming anything worth farming, other people will probably be farming as well. They may try to interact with you, or watch you.    <-- Obvious
- Also in more populated areas, following the same patrol as another botter, especially of the other faction. That's almost a dead giveaway, every time.    <-- Obvious

- Although Warden doesn't scan the hard drive (yet?), it makes its folder hidden.

Oh, and bump.  :P

Nothing was wrong with Joe's post.  Running in "robotic" patterns WILL give you away.  All someone has to do is report that they *think* you may be botting.  They may have tried talking to you a few times and gave up, which is what happened to my first account.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 02:19:22 am »
Joe was talking about how Blizzard detects your botting, not how players do it and when he did talk about how players did it he used the most obvious descriptions which could be summed into two categories:  to be reported or being caught by Warden, the second of which he didn't mention.

Blizzard is constantly working on ways to detect a bot, and when they find one, they push a new version of Warden.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 03:28:09 am »
Quote where in my post I said that only Blizzard is doing that.

(Bump!)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.