Author Topic: No more driving on cell phones under 18!  (Read 6806 times)

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
No more driving on cell phones under 18!
« on: June 13, 2007, 09:38:29 am »
This is a local thing which I'm happy about.
RICHMOND - Effective July 1, 2007, Virginia drivers younger than 18 years of age may not operate a motor vehicle in Virginia while using a cellular telephone or other wireless communications devices. The new law prohibits the use of cell phones, even if they are considered to be hands-free. It also prohibits text-messaging while driving.

The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) reminds motorists that operating a vehicle requires their full-time attention. Distracted driving is among the leading causes of crashes, especially for inexperienced and new drivers. Except in a driver emergency or when the vehicle is lawfully parked or stopped, drivers 18 years and younger need to turn off the cellular telephone.

"Teenage drivers have enough to worry about," said Virginia DMV Commissioner D.B. Smit. "If we can cut down on the distractions for a teen driver, the results can only be positive."

All Virginia drivers under the age of 18 are issued provisional driver's licenses. A provisional license carries other limitations as well, such as restrictions on the number of passengers and driver curfews. The ban on cell-phone usage while driving is considered a secondary violation, similar in Virginia to safety belt laws.

"Anything you do that takes away your attention from driving causes crashes," Smit said. "It's a distraction that none of us can afford but especially a teenager driver. For someone just learning how to drive, their attention needs to be fully on the road."

DMV encourages all drivers to avoid distractions by:

* Keeping your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel at all times.
    * Set or adjust the controls on the vehicle and other devices as soon as you get in the car and before you begin driving.
    * Keep your body alert; sit straight, but relaxed. Look in the direction that you want to go.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: No more driving on cell phones under 18!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 10:05:14 am »
They should also add old people and women to that.
Hell, they just shouldn't let women drive

trust

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 10:08:35 am »
This is an inconvenience for me, being a Virginia driver under 18. I have VZNavigator on my cellphone and frequently am plugging in addresses or searching for a business while driving if I'm unsure of how to get there. I'll be 18 in less than a month though, so whatever. It's obviously only a secondary offense because they don't know your age if they see you on the phone.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 10:13:09 am »
Good luck enforcing this. 
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 10:14:19 am »
Good luck enforcing this. 
Its like trust said, they wont get you unless you do something else wrong too

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 10:53:47 am »
From what I understand, you typically drive on roads, not on cell phones. So I don't think it's a big deal.

Unless, of course, there's a mistake in the thread's title. :)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:23:12 am »
From what I understand, you typically drive on roads, not on cell phones. So I don't think it's a big deal.

Unless, of course, there's a mistake in the thread's title. :)
Hahahaha!  I didn't even notice that.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline psychspy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 12:18:10 pm »
Good, this'll save my sister from being too cool, life forbid she gets a cell phone.  Oh, and a car, yeah, forgot about that.  I love it when she posts our home phone number on MySpace.  "pc4pc!!!!"  LOL omg j/k %%^^

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 12:29:48 pm »
pc4pc?

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 12:40:23 pm »
This is an inconvenience for me, being a Virginia driver under 18. I have VZNavigator on my cellphone and frequently am plugging in addresses or searching for a business while driving if I'm unsure of how to get there. I'll be 18 in less than a month though, so whatever. It's obviously only a secondary offense because they don't know your age if they see you on the phone.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble - but realistically, you aren't anyone important.  You have no real need to drive and talk at the same time.  If you need to use navigator, pull over and park, it's not a difficult concept or just use mapquest before you leave.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 12:47:19 pm »

I'm sorry to burst your bubble - but realistically, you aren't anyone important.  You have no real need to drive and talk at the same time.  If you need to use navigator, pull over and park, it's not a difficult concept or just use mapquest before you leave.
When I was pre-18 I needed my phone while driving.  There were times I my boss needed to call me while I was driving, I pretty REALLY should answer when my boss calls.

Offline psychspy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 01:21:16 pm »
pc4pc?

Brace yourself... picture comment for picture comment.

Here's a bucket for you to puke in. [_]

0wnt. ^^  Yeah, it's come down to pc4pc.  Makes me want to see these girls cry blood after I glare at them.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 01:27:39 pm »
W

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 01:27:49 pm »
T

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 01:27:58 pm »
F