Author Topic: Linux  (Read 6253 times)

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile
Linux
« on: April 09, 2005, 06:45:40 pm »
someone move this if needed. anyways if i install Linux on my windows xp HP comp, will it fuck it up?

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 06:48:34 pm »
If you install Linux on your Windows partition, then yes it will "fuck it up", unless you consider Linux to be a better operating system. Then, it will make it better.

I suggest learning *alot* more about this stuff before you jump in.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 08:14:18 pm »
As quick said, not unless you're overwriting your Windows HD space, if you'd like to try Linux out and get a feel for it, then I suggest a "Live CD", it lets you try Linux without overwriting anything, it runs off the disk. If you don't know the Linux installing procedures, inform us/me, we/me can basically walk you through.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 08:22:27 pm by GameSnake »

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 09:25:25 pm »
Yes. I'd say go with the Live CD also. My computer was already fucked up, and I'd used Linux on iago's computer, so I just repartitioned and hopped right in, but I'd consider myself a special case.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 11:33:45 pm »
well my friend back at Bulgaria has a Windows XP and 2000 on 1 computer and he gets to choose which to use just before the boot skin appears. does it work like that for linux too?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 01:00:18 am »
It works *exactly* like that. Steps to set it up like that:

1) Partition HD. I suggest a 10/9/1 ratio, 10 being Windows, 9 Being Linux, and 1 being Linux Swap (type 82)
2) Install Windows, yadayada, ignore bad partitions.
3) Install Linux. Slackware installer will give you the option to install "LILO". Pick the MBR (master boot record).

Please note that installing LILO in the boot sector "could be dangerous", but we're asuming you have nothing important you can lose, as you just repartitioned your hard drive. If you do, you'd be best tossing it on a floppy disk (doesn't always work right, meh.)

Then, when you start your computer, LILO, in its wonderful black and redness, asks you to boot into Windows or Linux. (pick one).

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 01:03:58 am »
I use GRUB, sexier than LILO
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 01:31:04 am »
I use yaboot, but I know that hes probably going to use Slackware, so I suggest using whats available (LILO).

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 04:36:51 am »
Grub looks pretty cool, at least for Red Hat, but my LILO look awesome :]
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 05:52:46 am »
haha i have no windows cd. i bought my comp online :). if i accually get another comp, ima run Linux on it. i have a really messed up one. it runs at 333mhz and it is sooooooooooooo slow. its also broken from everywhere. well not really but for all i know, the hard drive could be messed up.

edit:wait a sec. i have 2 more comps that my dad brought in. i dunno the specifications but they dont reach 1ghz. also anyone know how to bypass the Windows 2000 login screen? one of those comps has that and i cant get through it. i have to provide a password which is unknown to me :(. and that comp also has a DVD player :). not sure if its writable or not :P.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 05:56:04 am by Mangix »

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 01:13:04 pm »
haha i have no windows cd. i bought my comp online :). if i accually get another comp, ima run Linux on it. i have a really messed up one. it runs at 333mhz and it is sooooooooooooo slow. its also broken from everywhere. well not really but for all i know, the hard drive could be messed up.

edit:wait a sec. i have 2 more comps that my dad brought in. i dunno the specifications but they dont reach 1ghz. also anyone know how to bypass the Windows 2000 login screen? one of those comps has that and i cant get through it. i have to provide a password which is unknown to me :(. and that comp also has a DVD player :). not sure if its writable or not :P.
Press "cancel".  You can also just boot to DOS with a boot disk.

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 01:35:47 am »
Code: [Select]
<?php
echo "R.a.B.B.i.T R Noob"
?>
and you think you are smart. the Cancel isnt available for clicking. the letters are, ummmm how can i say this. Passive.  means that the cancel button cant be clicked :P.

edit:wtf is a boot disc? and does Windows 2000 even have DOS? i know XP doesnt.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 01:37:45 am by Mangix »

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 01:47:54 am »
IT DOESN'T?!?!
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 07:46:45 pm »
edit:wtf is a boot disc? and does Windows 2000 even have DOS? i know XP doesnt.

You my friend have proved how "Uber Gosu" (see member title/rank/whateverthefuckitis) you are.

Start - Run - "cmd" - Enter
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 08:13:11 pm »
IF you dont know shit. THEN DONT FUCKING POST. he means boot into DOS. do you know what boot means? no so stfu. and i already said i cant gain access without providing an unknown password.

@Topic:well i dunno how to get a DOS disc. also ummm if u accualy gain access to the password(which i wont), there should be an option to boot into DOS with the next restart :).