Author Topic: Letter to prof asking for removal of test dates, thoughts?  (Read 7085 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Letter to prof asking for removal of test dates, thoughts?
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:18:13 am »
I'm taking an online class and our prof has set dates (about 48 hours) to take tests.  Each test you take 1 time and have 90 minutes to complete.  In the syllabus he wrote "This course is designed to be completed 100% on-line and asynchronously at each student’s own pace." and I feel that having specified tests dates conflicts with the design of the course.  I would like to be able to take more than one test on some weekends, but many tests are scheduled only during the week (with class, work, and clubs I'm rather busy some days).

Does this little email sound polite enough in asking for him to remove the test dates and allow us to take the tests at will?
Professor Moraros,
I was wondering if there is a possibility to remove the test dates so that I may be able to take the tests at more convenient times and at my own pace, as suggested in the syllabus (referenced in the first bulletin under the Teaching Methods section of the syllabus).
I feel that I would be more productive if able to take the tests when I am available to put forth more effort.

Thank you for the consideration.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Letter to prof asking for removal of test dates, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 11:24:08 am »
You can't find a single "convenient" time inside of 48 hours?

There has to be some structure to coursework.  If everyone was permitted to go at any pace the course could take a couple of years.  No, there have to be milestones so that the professor can monitor progress effectively, and so you don't just put your studies entirely on the backburner.

Maybe if you'd stop drinking (illegally), you might be able to actually do your schoolwork.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 02:24:30 pm »
Some days it is hard to find an hour and a half of solid free time to take the test.

The 2 online classes I've had allow for either a week's period to find time for the test or just make all of the tests available at the beginning at the course.  I took it online from this prof because that is how his course has been in the past and that would work very well with my schedule.
He doesnt have any work to do other than the 1 essay and writing the tests, they're all multiple choice and are graded automatically.

I have stopped drinking illegally, it's been almost 2 months since I last drank illegally.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 02:29:58 pm »
 I don't know anything about the online class so I can't provide an opinion on whether the test dates are important or frivolous.

However, earning how to tell your friends "I can't do anything this week, I have a shitload of homework" and then following through is an important life lesson that you need at some point.  I can't tell you how many times I've turned my cell phone off,  found a secluded corner in the library, and just buckled down.  You'd be surprised how productive you can be if you shut out all distractions and clear your head.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 04:07:30 pm »
I have stopped drinking illegally, it's been almost 2 months since I last drank illegally.

Same here; my 21st was in August.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 04:17:02 pm »
I don't know anything about the online class so I can't provide an opinion on whether the test dates are important or frivolous.

However, earning how to tell your friends "I can't do anything this week, I have a shitload of homework" and then following through is an important life lesson that you need at some point.  I can't tell you how many times I've turned my cell phone off,  found a secluded corner in the library, and just buckled down.  You'd be surprised how productive you can be if you shut out all distractions and clear your head.
Agreed. I spent huge chunks of school terms without instant messaging. I find that to be the most distracting.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 04:17:17 pm »
That's really beside the point.  Quit partying.  School first.

I find it exceptionally hard to believe that you can't find 1.5 hours inside of a 48-hour span, considering I've been working 70-hour weeks and taking an on-campus master's class.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 04:54:44 pm »
[ I've been working 70-hour weeks
You are f***ing crazy if I remember about how much you are making correctly.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 06:21:34 pm »

Oh, I can do that.  For example: I have a paper due tomorrow that I need to collect the last bit of info for (price comparissons for groceries & gas in two economically different areas) but friends are going out to dinner.  What am I doing?  I'm leaving work in about 30 minutes to drive around town looking at prices at gas stations and grocery stores then home to put it into the paper and revise the thing.
I'm fine not hanging out with friends if I have homework, what sucks is when I have a test starts tuesday @ 12am ending thursday @ 12am.  Tuesday is class then work then college republicans, so basically I'm free after 8pm.  So we'll assume I can start the exam at 830ish pm, provided I dont have homework I need to do for the next day.
Now what would be more conveinent would be me taking the exam saturday morning when I have virtually jack shit to do.

I haven't said that it is impossible for me to find time, just rather inconveinent and that I would most likely be more productive if I wasn't stressed about the exam + other things ... which is why I took the course online, because I understood the course structure to be "free"

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 08:43:06 pm »
Professor Moraros,
I am writing to ask that the dates for the exams be removed.  I feel that I would be more productive if allowed to take the tests at my conveinence instead of during a set time.  I current attend class full time, work part time, and am in two student organizations so time is an issue.  I believe I can put more effort into the tests if I am not rushing to do them at 10:00pm after a club meeting.  Generally I have a fair amount of free time weekend mornings and would like the option to be able to complete multiple tests in one day.  Also, I would prefer to work at my own pace, as you wrote in the syllabus ("This course is designed to be completed 100% on-line and asynchronously at each student’s own pace.").

Thanks for the consideration,
   Tyler
This maybe?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 08:48:08 pm »
current => currently in the third sentence.  To be honest, though, the second letter makes you sound sort of like an asshole.  I think the better one was a better approach.

Seriously, though, as others have said, I suggest you learn to deal with it.  I end up skipping meetings all the time so that I can work on homework or take a test.  The clubs understand and I don't miss out on too much.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 08:54:55 pm »
You spelled "convenience" incorrectly. I stopped reading there because I actually have a lot of work to do myself, and it would be sorta hypocritical to procrastinate. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »
current => currently in the third sentence.  To be honest, though, the second letter makes you sound sort of like an asshole.  I think the better one was a better approach.

Seriously, though, as others have said, I suggest you learn to deal with it.
I shouldn't just "deal with it" when the instructor is contradicting himself and "instructing" the class in a manner that does not coincide with the purpose of taking the class online.

Any how, I haven't proof read any of the letters, someone just suggested I explain it a little more and point out that he said the class should be at "my own pace."
Whatever, if all of you are going to be pricks and not help I'll ask my dog ... at least he will be of more help.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 09:04:21 pm »
I'm not going to argue with you.  I'll just say that I think you're being a whiny bitch and leave it at that. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 09:23:03 pm »

Seriously, though, as others have said, I suggest you learn to deal with it.
I shouldn't just "deal with it" when the instructor is contradicting himself and "instructing" the class in a manner that does not coincide with the purpose of taking the class online.

Any how, I haven't proof read any of the letters, someone just suggested I explain it a little more and point out that he said the class should be at "my own pace."
Whatever, if all of you are going to be pricks and not help I'll ask my dog ... at least he will be of more help.
This is the second time I'm warning you: please cut out the attitude.