Author Topic: IRC Battle.net gateway  (Read 2238 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
IRC Battle.net gateway
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:10:29 pm »
Hi everybody,
Haven't worked much on ircbnet since a couple days ago ... I did the bare minimum to make BNX work.  I've thought of a better user interface and API for it but I wonder...would any of you
a) Have use for it
b) Expand it to use other battle.net protocols

If not, I don't really see any reason to finish it.

Here are some ideas for an improved interface:
- Allow multiple connections...each connection has its own IRC context
This would be accomplished by creating a fake login sequence and joining the client to "The Void" initially...the client then can issue a "/server <irc server> [<irc port>]" command to invoke a connect.  Could also add other connect-time commands.
- Generalized protocol API
This would be accomplished in C using a struct of generalized bnet protocol event function pointers (relevant to chatting!)...this way the IRC portion of the code can transparently translate IRC events to Battle.net events.  This is how bunker bnet operates...except without the IRC portion.
- More intelligent IRC context
Presently, the IRC code in ircbnet just does simple translations ... it does not store information about IRC (e.g. like the users in the channel)

One very big problem with this interface is that bots like BNX do not know to send "/server" command on login...

Thoughts, ideas, comments?
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: IRC Battle.net gateway
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 08:44:28 am »
I like IRC, and I'd love to see this expanded on that front.  I'm not sure if I'd do anything on the Battle.net side, though.