Author Topic: Google Develops Mobile Phone Software  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Google Develops Mobile Phone Software
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 09:44:52 am »
Shitty products..but they've had their best quarter in nine years?
yes?

Sorry, I just don't get how that works. Bad products usually don't equal profit..
They do in a monopoly situation, or something close where people don't have a choice.

If Microsoft was to roll out a totally awful OS (I won't say that they did, but I also won't say that they didn't, it's irrelevant right now), it would still be wildly successful. Why? Because everybody who buys a computer is forced to buy it. I legally own half a dozen copies of Windows that I promptly deleted simply because I had no choice.

That's garbage nowadays. Apple has hardware/software solutions, Dell offers Linux and so do other OEMs.
I do believe that their market penetration greatly attributes to it (as it does the inverse for the Zune vs iPod), I don't think it's the sole reason -- or even one that's really all that of a deciding factor.

Take for example the Zune. It entered an Apple dominated market, where iPod is synonymous with MP3 Player and it still did very well. They've sold about two million units in about a year, and stolen a great portion of the market. This is very well possible with alternative OSes but is not happening. Why?

It's not the market cap much more than it is the fact that the product is not ready for consumers. Gutsy Gibbon is a step in the right direction, but I don't think Linux will ever be to the point where it's ready for consumer use. It will however have a significant roll in niche markets and enterprise solutions. There's no denying that.

OSX is the only one with true potential on the desktop, but they've stagnated in Desktop market share. Why? They choose to be the sole distributors of their Operating System. It, like Linux at the moment appeals to a very small market.

I think the fact that Windows Vista sells 80 Million copies (20 Million in the first two months) is amazing. It may not be immediately evident but Vista has the toughest opponent out there when it comes to sales: Windows XP. 
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 11:53:18 am »
What, exactly, are you trying to prove? What I was trying to point out is if I say microsoft has shitty products it doesn't mean you have to think it, or anyone else has to think it. It's an extremely subjective word and you're arguing over opinions. I know you <3 microsoft but when someone says something sucks the general reaction of a normal person isn't "FUCK NO IT DOESNT HERE ARE NUMBERS WHY STUPID."

You don't have to argue with everyone who takes a jab at microsoft. I hope you don't read slashdot comments or you would never have free time......
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 11:58:06 am »
What, exactly, are you trying to prove? What I was trying to point out is if I say microsoft has shitty products it doesn't mean you have to think it, or anyone else has to think it. It's an extremely subjective word and you're arguing over opinions. I know you <3 microsoft but when someone says something sucks the general reaction of a normal person isn't "FUCK NO IT DOESNT HERE ARE NUMBERS WHY STUPID."

You don't have to argue with everyone who takes a jab at microsoft. I hope you don't read slashdot comments or you would never have free time......

You criticize me for arguing a subjective position when you've done the same thing in this very thread. It's more interesting to know what YOU are trying to prove. I mean, if you're going to play with fire you should expect to get burned.

In other words, you can't respond.
Carry on.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 12:17:19 pm »
yes?

Sorry, I just don't get how that works. Bad products usually don't equal profit..
They do in a monopoly situation, or something close where people don't have a choice.

If Microsoft was to roll out a totally awful OS (I won't say that they did, but I also won't say that they didn't, it's irrelevant right now), it would still be wildly successful. Why? Because everybody who buys a computer is forced to buy it. I legally own half a dozen copies of Windows that I promptly deleted simply because I had no choice.

That's garbage nowadays. Apple has hardware/software solutions, Dell offers Linux and so do other OEMs.
I do believe that their market penetration greatly attributes to it (as it does the inverse for the Zune vs iPod), I don't think it's the sole reason -- or even one that's really all that of a deciding factor.

No, it's not. My parents don't even know what Windows is, and my mom was wondering why her new laptop looks so weird (it's Vista). I think the same goes for the average person, they don't realize that they have a choice.

It's nice that Mac has come so far, and that Linux is on Dell, but only technical people even know what that means.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 12:26:28 pm »
yes?

No, it's not. My parents don't even know what Windows is, and my mom was wondering why her new laptop looks so weird (it's Vista). I think the same goes for the average person, they don't realize that they have a choice.

It's nice that Mac has come so far, and that Linux is on Dell, but only technical people even know what that means.

I'd say at this point it's more of an issue of who can get their word out the most. Macs have a pretty strong presense especially in the teenage demographic, but Linux is non existant outside technologically savvy people.
I think it's no longer a problem of Windows being preinstalled, but with the overall establishment of both Apple and presumably Ubuntu as a brand.

Offline CetniK

• There is an abundance of penises here.
    • View Profile
    • CetniK Webs
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 01:05:21 pm »
Wow.  I've started a discussion.  I completely agree with Warrior.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 06:57:10 pm »
You criticize me for arguing a subjective position when you've done the same thing in this very thread. It's more interesting to know what YOU are trying to prove. I mean, if you're going to play with fire you should expect to get burned.

Carry on.
I dunno what you're talking about, I didn't argue anything. You asked a question, and I answered it.

Here it is for reference:
yes?

And then you tried to disprove my opinion, and I went lolwut?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 07:03:44 pm »

Carry on.
I dunno what you're talking about, I didn't argue anything. You asked a question, and I answered it.

Here it is for reference:
yes?

And then you tried to disprove my opinion, and I went lolwut?

So you argued that they *did* make shitty products despite posting earnings which blows the doors off the competition.
That's where I stepped in, and outlined the reasons why money talks.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 07:13:00 pm »
So you argued that they *did* make shitty products despite posting earnings which blows the doors off the competition.
That's where I stepped in, and outlined the reasons why money talks.
I argued nothing. I simply stated an opinion! That's what my whole point was.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 09:21:45 pm »
"The only companies that join consortia are the ones who are too stupid or shitty to make a great product on their own. It's like, Hey, we've got forty spazzo companies that can't fuck their way out of a paper bag; let's put them all together and maybe they'll magically become some kind of big bad powerhouse."

Fake Steve Jobs hitting the nail right on the head.