Author Topic: Beowulf  (Read 5320 times)

Offline slinky

• Don't touch my cookie.
    • View Profile
Beowulf
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:00:49 pm »
Is anyone looking forward to Beowulf? I want to see just how horrible the movie is compared to the book. The book was awesome, so the movie will most likely suck.
"But I still believe in immortal love, and I know there's someone above. Shinedown don't take it away from me no, and I know you know how yeah. Shinedown, just give me a chance to feel it, it's taken forever to get me off the ground." -Godsmack

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
Re: Beowulf
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:10:30 pm »
Cool down on the posting :P. This isn't a race...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:36:20 pm »
I think they should have made a book based on The 13th Warrior, then made a movie based on that.

So far, we have Beowulf (poem) -> Eaters of the Living Dead (book) -> The 13th Warrior (movie). They should have kept going down that chain!

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 10:32:45 pm »
Cool down on the posting :P. This isn't a race...
took the words right out of my mouth. but as for the movie the trailers seem similar to 300 "we are SPARTA"... "I AM BEOWULF"

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 12:21:19 am »
took the words right out of my mouth. but as for the movie the trailers seem similar to 300 "we are SPARTA"... "I AM BEOWULF"

Haha, I thought that too.  It's a different director, though.  It looks pretty sweet, but I guess we'll see... :)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 03:09:31 pm »
WARNING: Spoilers Included!

I really didn't like this movie. I don't want to go too far in depth, but I'm still amazed as to why it wouldn't show the CGI version of Angelina Jolie naked, but it would glorify violence, like the part where Beowulf cut off his arm so he could rip the heart out of the dragon... Very violent and gory, but no nudity.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline slinky

• Don't touch my cookie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 09:27:31 pm »
Well, I must say that it was an OK movie, but being as I read the book first, the movie sucked. As is the case with all book movies.
"But I still believe in immortal love, and I know there's someone above. Shinedown don't take it away from me no, and I know you know how yeah. Shinedown, just give me a chance to feel it, it's taken forever to get me off the ground." -Godsmack

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 11:26:49 pm »
Well, I must say that it was an OK movie, but being as I read the book first, the movie sucked. As is the case with all book movies.
We all know how bad Silence of the Lambs, Lord of the Rings, and Fight Club turned out. Oh... wait.... ::)
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 11:30:01 pm »
We all know how bad Silence of the Lambs, Lord of the Rings, and Fight Club turned out. Oh... wait.... ::)

lmao.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 11:58:06 pm »

Don't forget Blade Runner! (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep... in a sense... never mind. I take it all back.)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 10:11:43 am »
And don't forget Star Wars!

Offline slinky

• Don't touch my cookie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 05:31:42 pm »
And don't forget Star Wars!

Star Wars rocks!

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 08:26:17 pm »
I have to say, despite the fact that the rendition was pretty.. Well.. inaccurate, I enjoyed it. Depressing, but it showed that nifty truth in human nature that even "heroes" aren't perfect.

I don't remember where I heard this, but apparently, during the movie, every time that they did something that was off-kilter from the real storyline or wasn't included in the original work at all, it was actually mentioned by one of the characters saying something to the effect of "That's not how it will be written about"; is this true? Because, I actually do remember two occurrences of that being said, but I didn't know about it beforehand, so I wasn't really trying to listen for it.

I did try to count how many times "Beowulf" was said. I lost count pretty early in.

The whole "I am Beowulf" yelling thing wasn't as cool the second time of yelling. I mean, you can only make one Robot Chicken about it. And they already did it with 300; it's old news, now. :P

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 12:39:01 am »
I am Beowulf vs I am Murloc
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline slinky

• Don't touch my cookie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 10:19:49 pm »
I am Beowulf vs I am Murloc

Joe you should be hogtied and hung from a tree branch for that