Author Topic: Dell sucks!  (Read 2853 times)

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
Dell sucks!
« on: December 22, 2007, 10:23:39 pm »
So, I decided to get rid of Vista and replace it with XP.

The installation went smoothly and the problems arose when I first booted in. My video card, network drivers, and sound card drivers weren't installed. I stuck in my driver CD I got from Dell when I first bought my computer a year ago or so (my computer came with Vista). And, I soon realized... the driver CD was just for Vista! I couldn't get on the internet to get the drivers online because the network driver was on the CD and it was just for Vista! So.. basically, I'm stuck! I re-installed Vista for now, but what should I do?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 10:29:43 pm by skip »

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: Dell sucks!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 10:28:35 pm »
Download the xp drivers, put them on a disk, reformat, load them from the disk.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:29:52 pm »
I mean, sure, I can download it from the Internet and stick it on a CD, then run the CD when I re-install XP, but should I really be going through all that work just so I can have XP on my computer?

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 10:42:42 pm »
It isn't that hard, are you really that lazy? :P

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 10:47:48 pm »
I mean, sure, I can download it from the Internet and stick it on a CD, then run the CD when I re-install XP, but should I really be going through all that work just so I can have XP on my computer?

What you're complaining about is just like installing Vista and complaining your XP drivers don't work.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 10:50:12 pm »
Dell doesn't suck, technically you do. Don't be lazy, download the fucking drivers.  :P

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 11:44:09 pm »
but should I really be going through all that work just so I can have XP on my computer?
Instead of vista? yes.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 05:29:51 pm »
Dell doesn't suck, technically you do. Don't be lazy, download the fucking drivers.  :P
Basically :D

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 08:04:51 pm »

What you're complaining about is just like installing Vista and complaining your XP drivers don't work.

Actually, XP drivers still work in Vista. My mouse drivers were XP on installation on accident, and it still worked. :P

The only one of those drivers I can understand not working is the network one. They re-did some networking stuff iirc.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 01:22:11 am »

Actually, XP drivers still work in Vista. My mouse drivers were XP on installation on accident, and it still worked. :P

The only one of those drivers I can understand not working is the network one. They re-did some networking stuff iirc.

You get my point, though?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Skywing

• View Profile
    • Nynaeve
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 01:11:15 pm »

In general, you are able to use mostly any non-buggy (32-bit) Windows XP driver on (32-bit) Windows Vista.  There may be some performance degredation compared to using drivers written against the new driver models (e.g. WDDM, NDIS 6).  In other words, you'll be losing out on performance or other improvements by doing so, but things will still operate.

The reverse is not true for things written to take advantage of new capabilities in Vista.  You won't be able to load an NDIS 6 (netcard) driver on XP, for instance.