Author Topic: Flying alarm clock  (Read 5006 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Flying alarm clock
« on: January 07, 2008, 11:08:59 am »
Just too cool: http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=1681

It flies away in the morning, and you have to find it to turn it off.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Flying alarm clock
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 02:14:53 pm »
Hehe, I saw that on thinkgeek a while ago.  I think I sent the link to Ergot and Towelie.  It's pretty neat!

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 09:02:12 pm »
I'd really like to see how much the landing location really varies.  Seems like it would always land it more or less the same place if it always launches the same way (assuming a relatively windless room).  If it varied enough, this would be perfect for me!  I adjust to new alarm clock locations in a matter of days and need to be up for a good 2-3 minutes before I don't have the urge to go right back to bed anymore.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 09:08:50 pm »
There's a bunch of annoying ones, like one that rolls away... and one where you have to defuse it.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 09:21:39 pm »
Yeah, I just unplug my alarm clock if it annoys me, does this one use batteries to keep going or something?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline chuck

• Canadian Biathlete
    • View Profile
    • Chucks Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 09:39:30 pm »
Yeah, I just unplug my alarm clock if it annoys me, does this one use batteries to keep going or something?
It uses battery's according to the article.

I used to play with those kind of propeller things when I was younger, they tend to hurt when they hit you in the head, so I hope it likes to fly away from the persons head...
Chucks Blog
JavaOp2 Plugins

Error, keyboard not connected. Press F1 to continue.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 10:41:49 pm »
hahaha this is such a good invention. its simple and annoying. why didn't i think of it?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 10:54:01 pm »
I'd really like to see how much the landing location really varies.  Seems like it would always land it more or less the same place if it always launches the same way (assuming a relatively windless room).  If it varied enough, this would be perfect for me!  I adjust to new alarm clock locations in a matter of days and need to be up for a good 2-3 minutes before I don't have the urge to go right back to bed anymore.
You'd think so, but even a small variation in the clock's location would probably mean a significantly different landing spot. I used to play with those helicopters when I was a kid, and they were pretty unpredictable.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 10:42:42 am »
You'd think so, but even a small variation in the clock's location would probably mean a significantly different landing spot. I used to play with those helicopters when I was a kid, and they were pretty unpredictable.
The clock moves?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 10:51:28 am »

The clock moves?

If you move it, yeah.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 10:54:57 am »
That would defeat the purpose.  I could manually move any alarm clock for the same benefit.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 11:31:37 am »
The clock moves?
Yes, you move it when you put the helicopter back in it, by probably a cm or two. I didn't mean move it a lot (that's why I said "small variation").

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 01:02:48 pm »
I still can't imagine that effecting the helicopter's final landing place by more than a foot or so.  I would need a good 3-4 feet of variance minimum to not be able to just walk right to it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 08:21:03 pm »
Have you ever bounced one of those rubber balls off the ceiling? Even if you hit a predictable place, they're pretty random.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 11:16:21 pm »
Sure, but that has two primary factors: 

a) the elasticity of the rubber ball results in very little energy absorbed in the impact
b) the ceiling's rough surface and relatively high surface contact effect the new trajectory considerably

whereas the helicopter

a) as far as I can tell, has no more elasticity than any other plastic spinning wheel and will lose most of its energy when it hits the ceiling (IF it hits the ceiling)
b) has a much larger contact area that seems like it would have more consistent response

I would really like to see it in action, but the video on the site you linked only demonstrates the takeoff.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:18:05 pm by Chavo »