Author Topic: Design Question  (Read 1923 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Design Question
« on: January 20, 2008, 02:40:22 pm »
This is my first post here in quite a while!

Some background...
Over Christmas break I've devised a more generalized design for tunsl.  It is based on BSD's netgraph.
tunsl has been re-interpreted as a series of "filters", each with very simple tasks.  A filter is an interface that has: send, attach, detach, control, and shutdown functions.  These functions are hung in a struct.  filter also has linked lists for input and output consumers.  Additionally a filter is one way.  Filters can only send to locally attached filters either by broadcasting or by traversing the output consumer linked list and invoking selected filter send functions (one can send to input consumers...but that disrupts the conceptual "flow" of data).

To alleviate confusion:
An input consumer is a filter that accepts input
An output consumer is a filter that generates output

The advantages of this construct are:
1) tunsl's operations are reduced into simple tasks
2) tunsl is incredibly extensible...filters can be attached anywhere in the filter network...they are like legos

tunsl itself, is a set of 4 filters, composed of logic and cryptographic pairs of input/output filters (remember, they are 1 way).  The logic and crypto pairs are attached to each other.
A network filter is attached to the logic pair.  The interface filter is attached to the crypto pair.

A network filter is a filter that inputs/outputs to the peer-to-peer network over any supported medium (e.g. tcp, udp, bluetooth, etc...)
An interface filter is a filter that inputs/outputs to programs (e.g. tun, SOCKS5, etc...).  This allows programs to transparently access the peer-to-peer network over a variety of different mediums, protocols, and so forth.

So my question...
I want to separate network and interface filters from tunsl's core.  There are variety of ways this can be achieved.  Here are a few ways this could be achieved...but whats the best way or whats better?

Think of each filter/subsystem as a shared object (or DLL).  Load these at runtime determined by command line flags or config file.  Now we need to provide subsystem/filter specific information by either

1) Create one tunsl config file with nests for logical separation...pass the configuration parser context to each loaded module so that it can get its configurations.
2) Hardwire a configuration file path for each module and allow them to aquire their own configurations upon load
3) Create a tunslcfg utility, synonymous to ifconfig and use a script to load settings through tunslcfg.

I like 1 or 3 personally...but whats the best way?  I like 1 because it allows one to consolidate all settings to one file and if someone wanted to use an alternative configuration file, they could do so by having tunsl open an alternative file (e.g. like a -c flag).  I like 3 because UNIX configures network interfaces in this manner...but it would require a lot more work.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Re: Design Question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:54:49 pm »
Probably confused everyone...

First of all, to recap.  Tunsl aims to implement a secure VPN over a peer-to-peer network on a variety of supported mediums.  Additionally, it is meant to be extensible to the point where one can add support for new types of mediums or interfaces.  This is achieved by a filter.  Here's a visual way to understand what I mean by a filter.

The arrow represents the "direction" the data flows.  This does not mean the filter itself is constrained to send data only that direction.  The send function passes data to the filter to process...it can be called directly but a helper function is available to broadcast to output consumers.  The attach and detach functions are used to alert the filter that a filter has attached or detached from it (the attach function can deny an attach)...they are not to be called directly, the filter library has helper functions to attach and detach filters.  The shutdown function is used to tell the filter to cleanup internal data...not to be called directly...a helper function will detach all input and output consumers and then call the filter's shutdown.  The control function is used for custom operations...it can be called directly.

These simple filters can be networked to perform simple tasks on incoming and outgoing data.  Here's an example of a possible tunsl configuration.  Keep in mind, this is a way to visualize how tunsl works.

An adorable giant isopod!