Author Topic: Concealed weapons: good/bad?  (Read 23091 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Concealed weapons: good/bad?
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2008, 12:03:32 am »
unprecedented failure is in this thread

sticky this.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2008, 10:02:41 am »
Not really, it's sad.  But from there we need to change federal law.

SCCC is specifically pointed at students who can already carry.
Uh, I'm not sure which federal law you want to change, but in Arizona the right to concealed carry is not impinged at 18.  Everyone who wants a concealed carry must have a permit but that's it.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2008, 10:08:29 am »

Uh, I'm not sure which federal law you want to change, but in Arizona the right to concealed carry is not impinged at 18.  Everyone who wants a concealed carry must have a permit but that's it.

Well, you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun ... that's per federal law.  In New Mexico you can possess at 19, but can't buy the weapon or ammunition 'til 21.  I guess I should've included that.

I'm not against 18 year olds "packing heat," really.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2008, 10:23:19 am »

Well, you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun ... that's per federal law.  In New Mexico you can possess at 19, but can't buy the weapon or ammunition 'til 21.  I guess I should've included that.

I'm not against 18 year olds "packing heat," really.

Then the question is, what about 16 year olds? 15? 14? 13? 12? Where do you draw the line, and why?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2008, 10:29:28 am »
People under 18 are the responsibility of their parents ... sure that's only under American law and that the law of humanity suggests that we all have a right to protect ourselves, but there is a point at which society chooses to say "you can't make wise decisions" regardless of whether the kids actually can.

Why not lower the driving age to 10?  The drinking age to 15?  Society decided that at 16 a person can start taking on the responsibilities of driving.  Society decided that at 19 you can possess a handgun.  etc.
There is some reasoning behind it, obviously, but it cannot be compared to prohibiting firearms from people on university campuses who otherwise carry legally off university campuses.

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2008, 11:04:04 am »
Society decided that at 16 a person can start taking on the responsibilities of driving.  Society decided that at 19 you can possess a handgun.  etc.
There is some reasoning behind it, obviously, but it cannot be compared to prohibiting firearms from people on university campuses who otherwise carry legally off university campuses.
Society also decided that carrying firearms on university campuses is prohibited. There is some reasoning behind that, obviously.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2008, 11:08:35 am »
But I'm arguing that it was the wrong reasoning ... I'm not arguing that 10 year olds should buy beer.

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2008, 11:29:06 am »
From what I read, a lot of good points have been brought up that supports the prohibition of firearms on campuses, but you either completely dismiss them as irrelevant, or keep repeating that personal protection is more important than anything else.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 11:31:41 am by Falcon »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2008, 11:34:14 am »
People under 18 are the responsibility of their parents ... sure that's only under American law and that the law of humanity suggests that we all have a right to protect ourselves, but there is a point at which society chooses to say "you can't make wise decisions" regardless of whether the kids actually can.

Why not lower the driving age to 10?  The drinking age to 15?  Society decided that at 16 a person can start taking on the responsibilities of driving.  Society decided that at 19 you can possess a handgun.  etc.
Your arguments for university students to carry gun is that it's a matter of life and death -- safety vs being sitting ducks. It sounds beneficial to me.

The benefits of younger people driving or drinking is pure convenience/fun, it's not a matter of being a sitting duck. Sounds to me like it'd be a different argument.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2008, 12:10:16 pm »
My niece is in danger.  She needs a handgun and a concealed carry permit.

Please ignore the fact that she is a month old.  She is in danger.  She could be the victim of a random shooting anytime, anywhere.  She needs a gun.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2008, 12:29:14 pm »
My niece is in danger.  She needs a handgun and a concealed carry permit.

Please ignore the fact that she is a month old.  She is in danger.  She could be the victim of a random shooting anytime, anywhere.  She needs a gun.

Making ridiculous arguments 1.) doesn't serve the intellectual discussion, 2.) doesn't serve your side of the argument, and 3.) just makes CrAz3D continue to act like a total fucking douchebag moron.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2008, 02:11:09 pm »
I agree with MyndFyre, especially on item #3

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2008, 04:52:54 pm »
If you don't understand why. GO BACK AND READ MY FUCKING POSTS. I explained 5 times why it's relevant. FIVE!! I'm not doing it again!

I didn't know it was possible for iagi to act like this. What should we number the "killer iagi"?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2008, 04:55:04 pm »
I didn't know it was possible for iagi to act like this. What should we number the "killer iagi"?

Hm, I'm guessing that's iagi #0.  He remains dormant except when approached by one of the crazata.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2008, 04:58:24 pm »
thats one angry fellow
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling