Author Topic: ATTN: EVRY1 READ IMMEIDATELYU  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
ATTN: EVRY1 READ IMMEIDATELYU
« on: February 23, 2008, 04:15:32 am »
I am trying to get on Battle.net through Starcraft on Linux. I got singleplayer working but I can't get on battle.net. I get to the server list, go to useast, and then it sort of crashes.

It shows the username-password screen with black boxes for username and password and red buttons below. But on this screen there is no text (such as the "username" descriptor above the username textarea), and it doesn't let me enter any text, and it doesn't respond when I click on the red buttons.

It may be a fonts issue (as most sources indicate) but I've tried all kinds of solutions and none of them have worked, like

1. Copying C:/WINDOWS/Fonts/* to .wine/drive_c/windows/fonts
2. sudo apt-get install [core windows fonts]
3. Temporarily removing certain fonts that allegedly make it not work
4. An older version of winetools (the only version of which worked for my updated version of wine). It let me install TrueType fonts but failed in installing Microsoft Foundations Classes 4.0 (which some internet post said I should install).

Has anyone got Starcraft bnet working on Linux? Anyone know how I can get it working?

Here's a picture of the "crash". This time it didn't make it to the username-password menu, it just got stuck on the part before that, where it would normally say "connecting to battle.net...". Ignore the red glare from the light outside.

http://www.x86labs.org/ender/crash.jpg

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
Re: ATTN: EVRY1 READ IMMEIDATELYU
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 06:15:16 am »
I found it damn-near impossible when trying to get onto Battle.net with Wine, so I ended up creating a VM running XP, and just running Starcraft from there. With VMware Tools, it made it fairly smooth in terms of functionality, but becomes practical only if you have the hard drive space available.

If you do it this way, you can also install other games that are more OS dependent on Windows, and additionally, allocate your RAM dynamically upon booting the VM.

If you can't find a solution for it via Wine, you can at least consider doing this as an alternative, as shady of a method as it may be.

p.s. excuse the editing. I just got up and as such, my thoughts are incoherent, so it's taking multiple edits just to make myself clear, lol.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 06:29:01 am by Bender »
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: ATTN: EVRY1 READ IMMEIDATELYU
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 07:59:41 am »
Why is this stickied in Announcements?  You fail.