Author Topic: Why worrying about global warming is dumb  (Read 10996 times)

Offline nake2

• View Profile
    • FleshWiki!
Re: Why worrying about global warming is dumb
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 01:30:37 pm »
In snowed in Baghdad, China had coldest winter in 100 years, and snow cover in Siberia, Mongolia, China, and North America is more than since 1966.
http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature+Monitors+Report+Worldwide+Global+Cooling/article10866.htm
http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/story.html?id=332289

Global Cooling, EVERYONE PANIC!
It seems like for now that the earth is OK but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be prepared for things to come. We should have rational and scientific approaches to this issue because if the earth is even slightly in danger of losing it's ability to provide life we should prevent it the best we can.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 05:51:12 pm »
Warmer temperatures only means life moves, not dies.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 07:38:41 pm »
Warmer temperatures only means life moves, not dies.
That's true to a point, but severe weather can destroy life, and that's one of the outcomes of global climate change. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 08:04:29 pm »
Severe weather already exists, warming would just change the course.  Also, it might counter the additional life that the warmer temps result in

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 08:07:20 pm »
That's true to a point, but severe weather can destroy life, and that's one of the outcomes of global climate change. 
*possible.  Note that we haven't conducted experiments to validate this possibility.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2008, 08:14:14 pm »
Severe weather already exists, warming would just change the course.

You're assuming that warming doesn't have the potential to escalate the severity of weather conditions, which is not safe to assume.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 08:19:01 pm »
And it's safe to assume that we should stop the warming?  What if THAT throws us into a spin of global cooling like suggested in the 70s?

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 08:28:32 pm »
And it's safe to assume that we should stop the warming?  What if THAT throws us into a spin of global cooling like suggested in the 70s?
He didn't say that.  And while I think it's unsafe to assume it (for the same reasons Rule listed), I think your counter is retarded.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 08:30:59 pm »
*possible.  Note that we haven't conducted experiments to validate this possibility.
Well, yeah. I'm writing under the assumption that human-caused-climate-change is happening, which includes that.

He didn't say that.  And while I think it's unsafe to assume it (for the same reasons Rule listed), I think your counter is retarded.
See why arguing with CrAz3d is both fun and horrible? :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2008, 08:33:56 pm »

I didn't say that.  Your rhetoric here seems to be suggesting we shouldn't worry about global warming because we don't know much about it.  Ad ignorantiam.

I don't think we should go balls out to counteract it, especially since we have no clue how to do that.  I do think that it should be researched, though.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2008, 09:12:48 pm »
Well, yeah. I'm writing under the assumption that human-caused-climate-change is happening, which includes that.

Isn't it though?!  I wish I could argue with me sometimes

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2008, 10:02:33 am »

Isn't it though?!  I wish I could argue with me sometimes

Go find a wall, pick a topic, and there you are.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2008, 10:27:12 am »
Arguing with a wall isn't arguing with me.  It might be similar, but it can't argue back

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2008, 10:39:10 am »
Arguing with a wall isn't arguing with me.  It might be similar, but it can't argue back

I've known walls that make more rational arguments than you. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2008, 04:17:37 pm »
Back to the original topic, here's a good discussion about global climate change:
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/quirks-blog/2008/02/cold_climate_dont_be_fooled.html

I especially like this line, "Mistaking weather for climate is a common tactic used by those who deny climate change, who say: 'I don't see any global warming.' What this really shows is narrow- minded, shortsighted thinking." :)