Author Topic: iTunes Substitute?  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
iTunes Substitute?
« on: April 05, 2008, 11:50:08 pm »
I'm looking for any kind of replacement that has battery charging capabilities, along with the ability to upload and download mp3's (optional). If software for uploading songs isn't available, then I don't mind using rockbox.

I got so fed up with all of the overhead iTunes comes with. Namely, whenever you open up iTunes, it configures a completely unnecessary and suspicious service to automatically start at startup, even if you've manually disabled it. Though I guess I'll reinstall iTunes if I have to...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 11:55:24 pm by Metal Militia »
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: iTunes Substitute?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 12:05:00 am »
What service? It may just be their communication service to actually interact with your device.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 12:09:00 am »
That is most likely what it is, but I'm almost certain it doesn't need to be run as a 24/7 service. I don't see why they couldn't just make it plug-and-play, but then again, I'm no expert when it comes to hardware communications. That was just the straw that broke the camels back, anyways.

The name was ipodservice.dll or something similar.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:13:21 am by Metal Militia »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 12:40:21 am »
You shouldn't need a program to recharge the battery, unless Windows is weird. I just plug my iPod into USB, and it goes ahead and charges.

I personally use gtkpod, although I'm not sure if there's a Windows build for that, and the interface is kind of hostile.

I've heard good things about Amarok, but it requires KDE to compile (and possibly run), and I'm not into that.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 12:53:43 am »
I've used Anapod Explorer in the past.  Newby recommended it to me a few years ago.  It's really well organized and a lot less bulky than iTunes.  It's probably worth checking out.

As iago said, mine starts charging when I plug it into my computer, although I normally use a wall charger if it's lower on juice.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 01:47:07 am »
You shouldn't need a program to recharge the battery, unless Windows is weird. I just plug my iPod into USB, and it goes ahead and charges.
I wasn't aware of this.
I've used Anapod Explorer in the past.  Newby recommended it to me a few years ago.  It's really well organized and a lot less bulky than iTunes.  It's probably worth checking out.
Looks pretty solid so far. I'll probably end up getting a crack for it, though. This trial version is damned annoying.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:48:44 am by Metal Militia »