Author Topic: age of conan  (Read 30104 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: age of conan
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2008, 09:25:28 am »
Heh, that's pretty cool, Warz.  It's kinda sad that they made it that easy (by making some of the stuff client-side, I mean).

Do you have a "favorite" class?  So far, I've only tried Dark Templar and Assassin.  I was thinking I'd try a mage-type class later on.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2008, 11:35:06 am »
You should stick to one class and play it, Sidoh. You really don't get an actual feel for a class till 40+. That's when they really start to shine so I've heard.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2008, 12:09:17 pm »
You should stick to one class and play it, Sidoh. You really don't get an actual feel for a class till 40+. That's when they really start to shine so I've heard.
You have to play a class that long to get a feel for whether you like it or not? ouch
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2008, 12:17:05 pm »
I'm sure that's true to a degree, but I'm not trying to master the class.  I'm just trying to get a general feel about how they work.

I tried Demonologist.  I liked it, but I think I liked Dark Templar more.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2008, 02:18:23 pm »
You have to play a class that long to get a feel for whether you like it or not? ouch

Usually MMOs which fall into the "other" category are not very well engineered.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2008, 04:35:37 pm »

It's the same way with WoW. You don't normally get 90% of your skills till 30-40. Every mmo is like that.

Hitmen: It's not so much whether you like it or not as much as it is how the class plays against others. For instance I'm an assassin, so I don't do well against Conquerors/Barbarians. My class is designed to kill other cloth/light armor wearing classes and that's it.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2008, 05:21:53 pm »

It's the same way with WoW. You don't normally get 90% of your skills till 30-40. Every mmo is like that.

Hitmen: It's not so much whether you like it or not as much as it is how the class plays against others. For instance I'm an assassin, so I don't do well against Conquerors/Barbarians. My class is designed to kill other cloth/light armor wearing classes and that's it.

Does every other MMO also do client side calculations of spells? I'll give you a hint: no
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2008, 07:22:37 pm »
Dungeon Siege was the last game that I remember doing this, and it died a horrible horrible death. Dungeon Siege also did everything else client-side, too - including character storage, etc, so you could just edit your character's data file and give yourself everything. Everything short of god mode. lol.

edit: lol @ http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1355/lilironyxy1.jpg
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 08:11:06 pm by warz »
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2008, 08:23:31 pm »
Dungeon Siege was the last game that I remember doing this, and it died a horrible horrible death. Dungeon Siege also did everything else client-side, too - including character storage, etc, so you could just edit your character's data file and give yourself everything. Everything short of god mode. lol.

Haha, I remember DS.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2008, 10:13:18 pm »

DS wasn't an MMO. If anything, it resembled Diablo II.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2008, 12:16:35 am »
well that's why i didn't call it an mmo now did i?! JESUS.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2008, 12:37:20 am »
Seemed like you responded to warrior. My mistake nigga. Jeez.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2008, 11:45:01 am »
well that's why i didn't call it an mmo now did i?! JESUS.

newby's statement still stands, ds is irrelevant to my argument

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2008, 01:40:08 pm »
sure it does. it was an online game that was supposed to be badass, and for the most part was, but died quickly because of exploits. mmorpg or not.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2008, 02:05:28 pm »
Yeah, I definitely think it applies.  The MMO condition was artificially introduced and isn't really that relevant.