Author Topic: Laptop help  (Read 3387 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Laptop help
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:14:18 pm »
My laptop (an HP Pavilion ze4911us) is starting to heat up insane amounts doing.. well.. nothing. I'll be writing a paper on it and after an hour or two will happen to touch the bottom of it and will notice that it gets to AT LEAST 80 degrees Fahrenheit.. which isn't good. I contacted HP today and they said that the motherboard is dying. But then, it IS customer support, and we all know how much they actually help.. They told me to update the BIOS, reinstall the power management software, and the problem still persists. What do you guys think is the problem with it? I was thinking it might be a couple of dead fans, but taking apart the laptop to check that is quite a task (have to strip all parts, basically).
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Laptop help
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 11:15:10 pm »
MoBo dying.  I had two die.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 11:15:54 pm »
If you still have a warranty, fix it.  If you don't, get a new laptop.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 11:19:36 pm »
Any fans should be in obvious places (ie, grills for exhaust).  Clean them with compressed "air."  Make sure your laptop is well ventilated in general.  If your laptop is getting that consistently, there is a good chance that your laptop is already on it's way out.  That said, you may be able to at least prolong it's life with better cooling measures.

A friend of mine used two pieces of metal with a very high specific heat (I think high is the correct terminology) which he would alternate placing in the freezer or on the bottom of his overheating laptop.  It was considerably more effective than commercial fan coolers that blow a little bit of room temperature air on the bottom of the case.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:29:22 pm »
MoBo dying.  I had two die.
Ah, nuts.

If you still have a warranty, fix it.  If you don't, get a new laptop.
No warranty, but I'll see how much it costs to have them ship out a mobo for the laptop, because that would be CONSIDERABLY cheaper than buying a new laptop altogether.

Any fans should be in obvious places (ie, grills for exhaust).  Clean them with compressed "air."  Make sure your laptop is well ventilated in general.  If your laptop is getting that consistently, there is a good chance that your laptop is already on it's way out.  That said, you may be able to at least prolong it's life with better cooling measures.

A friend of mine used two pieces of metal with a very high specific heat (I think high is the correct terminology) which he would alternate placing in the freezer or on the bottom of his overheating laptop.  It was considerably more effective than commercial fan coolers that blow a little bit of room temperature air on the bottom of the case.
Well, the reason that I think that fans may be dying out on me is that when the CPU fan runs, it runs at a ridiculously high speed and has a very loud whir. I just had a processor fan die on my desktop that had the same problem, so I dunno.

Do you know what metals he used? And yeah, high is the right word to use. Come on man, think back to genchem!

Just a couple other things to add and see if it helps anybody tell me for sure the mobo is dying:
-The charger gets burning hot while I plug it in, which didn't used to happen and which never happens on friends' laptops. I could seriously like boil a pot of water on this thing.
-Same thing with the battery.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:39:39 pm »
That's actually pretty bad...Lithium-Ion batteries can definitely catch fire or worse if they get too hot.  If something is causing too much current to enter your converter/laptop/battery then you have a serious problem that I wouldn't ignore. 

Does the charger continue to run hot if you run the laptop with no battery?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:15:59 am »
That's actually pretty bad...Lithium-Ion batteries can definitely catch fire or worse if they get too hot.  If something is causing too much current to enter your converter/laptop/battery then you have a serious problem that I wouldn't ignore. 

Hm, yeah, I figured as much. That's why I've been limiting use as much as possible, anyways. Just so we're both clear, I don't literally mean it could boil water, but it is very very hot compared to what it should be.

I'm not sure, and I don't think I should find out because of my dying mobo.. Although I suppsoe leaving it running for half an hour may be money-saving in the long run.. I'll let you know tomorrow.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 12:43:06 am »
this looks like a job for geeksquad
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:48:33 am »
Well, I've had it on for ~15 minutes or so. With the charger in and no battery at all, the laptop seems to be absolutely fine temperature-wise. The charger doesn't seem to be getting hot, and the bottom of the laptop appears to be in the same position as well.
I'll update with more as I learn it.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 01:09:38 am »
Well, I've had it on for ~15 minutes or so. With the charger in and no battery at all, the laptop seems to be absolutely fine temperature-wise. The charger doesn't seem to be getting hot, and the bottom of the laptop appears to be in the same position as well.
I'll update with more as I learn it.
Other than normal heat, the laptop doesn't seem to be too hot, and I'm doing everything I normaly would be doing anyways. Could it just be a defective battery that was causing these problems? I'd hate to buy a new one and not have it work because it actually WAS the mobo..

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 07:12:59 am »
stop
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 07:13:19 am »
double posting.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 07:19:53 am »
warrior stop being sucha lameass troll

it used to be funny but now it's funny NO LONGER

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 11:28:36 am »
Hmm. I guess I may have spoken a bit soon. While there is still heat, I don't think it's nearly as bad as it was earlier, but it certainly is fairly warm compared to what it should be. The same goes for the charger--it's hot, but not as ridiculously hot as it *was*.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 01:45:33 pm »
warrior stop being sucha lameass troll

it used to be funny but now it's funny NO LONGER

you laughed admit it