Author Topic: StarCraft 2: The Trilogy?!  (Read 11557 times)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: StarCraft 2: The Trilogy?!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 01:01:02 am »
damn 150+ FOR A game? no thanks thats is what torrents are for.
No, it's roughly $150 for three games. What you said is like saying the planned Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect trilogies are one game. Besides, from what I understand, each game will be like 30 missions long for single player. IIRC, that's about how long the original Starcraft was.
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 01:06:07 am »
Yeah, that's a good point, drake.

I guess the only difference is (and I think it's largely psychological) is that they're coming out at the same time.  Even if they had the content of three games, you'd expect that the bulk of the work put into the games lies in the intersection of their components (the AI, the graphics engine, unit design, etc) and that the campaign/story stuff was added in later.

Still, though, I don't think what they're doing is hugely unreasonable; it's just a bit frustrating.

Hey, drake, what are you doing for Thanksgiving?  I'm probably going to be driving through Laramie on Saturday.  Do you want to go grab something to eat while I'm there or something?

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 01:11:14 am »
Yeah, that's a good point, drake.

I guess the only difference is (and I think it's largely psychological) is that they're coming out at the same time.  Even if they had the content of three games, you'd expect that the bulk of the work put into the games lies in the intersection of their components (the AI, the graphics engine, unit design, etc) and that the campaign/story stuff was added in later.

Still, though, I don't think what they're doing is hugely unreasonable; it's just a bit frustrating.

Hey, drake, what are you doing for Thanksgiving?  I'm probably going to be driving through Laramie on Saturday.  Do you want to go grab something to eat while I'm there or something?
Oh, no, Starcraft 2 will have the initial game come out, followed in due time by the others. In fact, they might be expansion packs, and priced as such. Either way, they're not all coming out at once.

As for Thanksgiving, I'm going home (or a nuclear power plant; need to check), but I have classes until next Tuesday, so yeah, I'll be in town, and we can grab a bite to eat. Give me a call and we'll set something up.
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 01:16:32 am »
Oh, no, Starcraft 2 will have the initial game come out, followed in due time by the others. In fact, they might be expansion packs, and priced as such. Either way, they're not all coming out at once.

Oh, gotcha.

Still, though, I can't imagine that the work they put into the expansion pack is more than recording audio, doing scripting, etc.

Oh well, they've gotta make monies somehow.  After they started pulling $2.1 Billion/year from WoW I'm sure that profits from other sorts of games seems trivial. :)

As for Thanksgiving, I'm going home (or a nuclear power plant; need to check), but I have classes until next Tuesday, so yeah, I'll be in town, and we can grab a bite to eat. Give me a call and we'll set something up.

Cool!  The plant sounds like fun.  Maybe they'd let you roast a turkey over the reactor.

Alright, will do.  I'll probably be driving through in the afternoon, but I might try to call you on Friday or something.

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 01:53:54 am »
Too much campaign

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 01:31:53 pm »
The idea of three separate CD keys which, according to rumors, can be combined in any fashion, will make for an interesting enhancement to BNCS.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 01:38:39 pm »
The idea of three separate CD keys which, according to rumors, can be combined in any fashion, will make for an interesting enhancement to BNCS.

There's already provisions in 0x51 for up to sizeof(DWORD) CD-Key's to be used.

Actually, that'd overflow the WORD in the packet header indicating the length of the packet, but you get my point.

EDIT -
I did the math cause I'm bored as hell. The SID_AUTH_CHECK packet with zero keys (think shareware) is 22 bytes, plus the header making it 26. sizeof(DWORD) (WORD being 16-bit, in the context of Battle.net) is 39321 (0x9999). So, (39321 - 26) / 36 = 1091.527777 repeating, allowing up to 1091 keys in the packet with it's current format.

Correct me if any of that's wrong.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:45:00 pm by Joe »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 02:56:02 pm »
There's already provisions in 0x51 for up to sizeof(DWORD) CD-Key's to be used.
I think you're confused about what "sizeof" does (because you just said that 4 CDKeys can be used).

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 03:31:04 pm »
I'm not sure I follow your math, iago. Joe's math wasn't off, just his procedure (definition and use of sizeof).

The maximum packet length is theoretically 0xFFFF; int((65535 - 26) / 36) = 1819 keys. However, I'm fairly sure (though I haven't tested it) that if you send a 64kB packet to a BNCS server, it will consider that a packet flood and IP ban you.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 03:33:10 pm by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 04:28:59 pm »
I'm not sure I follow your math, iago. Joe's math wasn't off, just his procedure (definition and use of sizeof).
I didn't do any math, I corrected Joe on his usage of sizeof().

And incidentally, maximum length of a Battle.net packet isn't 0xFFFF, it's 0x1320 or something like that.

Offline sdfg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 07:13:46 pm »
You can only be disconnected for sending an overly large packet.
dey see me trollin'
dey hatin'

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 12:25:36 pm »
I didn't do any math, I corrected Joe on his usage of sizeof().

And incidentally, maximum length of a Battle.net packet isn't 0xFFFF, it's 0x1320 or something like that.

Wait, sizeof(DWORD) (again, in 16-bit) would be 4, right? I messed up. I meant the max value of a DWORD.

And I thought 0x9999 was a weird number. Haha, haven't used hex in a while.

Btw, how do you figure that's the max size of a Battle.net packet? I was going off the fact that the protocol header can indicate a packet up to 0xFFFF bytes long (unless that overflows a WORD.. I never understood that).
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 12:50:23 pm »
Btw, how do you figure that's the max size of a Battle.net packet? I was going off the fact that the protocol header can indicate a packet up to 0xFFFF bytes long (unless that overflows a WORD.. I never understood that).
If you look in the game's code, it rejects packets over a certain size. I am pretty sure the server does too.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 03:40:07 pm »
int((0x1320 - 26) / 32) = 152 keys :)

Perhaps it was a typo -- that they meant 4096 decimal (0x1000), but typed 4896 (0x1320) instead?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:41:40 pm by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 04:03:01 pm »
int((0x1320 - 26) / 32) = 152 keys :)

Perhaps it was a typo -- that they meant 4096 decimal (0x1000), but typed 4896 (0x1320) instead?

0x1320 was myself trying to remember code I saw years ago. Don't take it as gospel. :)