Author Topic: How do I politely correct my professor?  (Read 9035 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
How do I politely correct my professor?
« on: December 08, 2008, 01:20:48 pm »
I took my final in an intro government class (I'm a government major, graduating on Saturday, but took an intro class because it was all that would fit in my schedule) and my prof had the following multiple choice Q on it:

What was the result of Furman v. Georgia?
A) wrong answer*; B) wrong answer*; C) ruled death penalty cruel & unusual; D) wrong answer*

*those three were wrong, they had nothing to do with the death penalty. I know the option re: the death penalty was the "correct" answer.

In '72 (Furman) it was ruled the current application of the death penalty was unconstitutional because it wasn't being applied consistently. In '76 (Gregg) that ruling was reversed because states changed their application.

I'm figuring she is just horribly misinformed rather than lying to us. I base this belief off previous misinformation she has fed us (and I have corrected). There was an instance, on another test, where she asked the minimum wage as of July 24, 2008. It was $6.55. It put $6.55. I got it marked wrong. When I confronted her she tried to argue she wanted the wage after the first increase, but prior the second. Why she didn't ask for that is beyond me.

So, how do I inform her of her mistake? Further, and more importantly, how do I protect future students from this "blind leading the blind" instructor? I already gave her constructive criticism on class eval. sheets, but I feel I need to do more. Lots more.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
Re: How do I politely correct my professor?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 01:55:18 pm »
slash your wrists, that will show her

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:38:59 pm »
In '72 (Furman) it was ruled the current application of the death penalty was unconstitutional because it wasn't being applied consistently. In '76 (Gregg) that ruling was reversed because states changed their application.
Inconsistent application != cruel and unusual. I have no idea what the other answers were, but I can see how that can be interpreted as wrong.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 04:39:03 pm »
You walk up to him and say, "I think there's a problem with the wording on one of the questions", and discuss it with her. But be nice about it, not confrontational, and tell her that you don't care about the grade, just that you want the question to be correct.

I did it frequently in University and never had an issue.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 05:37:34 pm »
Yea, I don't see why this is a big issue. lol. Just go talk to her about it. I did it this semester for one of my exams, also, and got the grade boosted up by like 10 points.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 05:45:04 pm »
You walk up to him and say, "I think there's a problem with the wording on one of the questions", and discuss it with her. But be nice about it, not confrontational, and tell her that you don't care about the grade, just that you want the question to be correct.
Normally, I wouldn't care, but I'm really tired. What are you trying to say?
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 05:55:24 pm »
I've done it before, but I really want to make her think about things before she attempts to teach people again.

There are consistently errors in her tests.  Not minor typos, but grammatical mistakes that completely change the meaning of questions/answers.  The thing about the minimum wage.  There was something she handed out that said 30x2=70.

We did teacher evals a week ago and I expressed my concerns, but I don't think they will be taken into account as much as a nice letter. 

Maybe send an email and copy the department head?  I dont want her to get into trouble, I just want her to become a more effective teacher.  Right now it's kind of a "blind leading the blind" scenario.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 06:06:49 pm »
slash your wrists, that will show her

A variation on my classic.  It can't fail.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 06:17:35 pm »
If she's not willing to give in, you play the game. You understand the nature of the material you are expected to learn, identify mistakes made by the instructor, and keep it to yourself. Those points are lost. There is no win to be had here -- you will end up wearing down the instructor and compelling her to give you the points to make you shut up, while she simultaneously makes a mental note that you are a difficult and arrogant student who is impudent enough to challenge her -- or you get nothing because the teacher is obstinate, and makes the same note.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 06:20:48 pm »
I dont need the points.

She is a young teacher (completed her PhD over the summer at University of Denver, walks this Saturday), and I want her to become a more effective teacher.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 06:23:17 pm »
Normally, I wouldn't care, but I'm really tired. What are you trying to say?
I originally assumed male, and used "him". Then I re-read the thread before replying, and noticed it was a female, and went back and changed it in one place, missing the other. :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 06:59:43 pm »
I'm sure it's different in CS/Math, but when I suspect there's been a mistake, I usually approach the situation as if I suspect I'm wrong.  I ask the professor "so if this and this are true, wouldn't that mean that this is true?  Where am I going wrong?"

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 07:46:32 pm »
...You have a pimp hand for a reason. (slap the bitch, nukka)
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 09:13:10 pm »
I'm sure it's different in CS/Math, but when I suspect there's been a mistake, I usually approach the situation as if I suspect I'm wrong.  I ask the professor "so if this and this are true, wouldn't that mean that this is true?  Where am I going wrong?"
That's exactly what I do.  I've never had a problem with a teacher getting upset if I correct them.  They are usually very thankful that someone noticed a mistake.  Don't forget that your professors are human and they make mistakes just like everyone else.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 09:20:52 pm »
That's exactly what I do.  I've never had a problem with a teacher getting upset if I correct them.  They are usually very thankful that someone noticed a mistake.  Don't forget that your professors are human and they make mistakes just like everyone else.

C'mon guys, grow some balls. Don't be that shy about it. Just say straight up: "is that supposed to be [blah]?" You have to be polite but it's more important to be thrifty with time and not go through this lengthy exculpating process. The only time you should cite your reasoning is to benefit yourself, that way if you're wrong in correcting him, you'll be able to see where you went wrong.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:23:25 pm by Ender »