Author Topic: Request: Simple Inventory Management (Paid)  (Read 4790 times)

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
Request: Simple Inventory Management (Paid)
« on: February 05, 2009, 03:30:53 pm »
I require a simple software program that allows me to track inventory on some products (there are about 5 total that I need to track, but I would like to have an "Add Product" option just in case.) When we receive inventory, I need to be able to input the amount received to update the current stock. Likewise when units are sold, I need to be able to subtract that from the inventory. Also, I would also like the option of putting in who I sold the product to, a record of the date, and their method paid (cash/check/credit). But the additional information would be optional for the user to input, with only the total sold of each product being required.

When the inventory of a product is less than a specified number, I need the program to automatically submit a new order to the supplier. I'd also like to have a View Inventory History option where I can see the amount sold/added on each day. (Basically just a dump of the inventory database.) Nothing too fancy is needed for this, as it's for a small business that only stocks around 50 units of each product. The reorder procedure is just a simple email to the manufacturer that says something like "Send # of Products" -- it's not a large manufacturer and I spoke with the owner earlier and he said email ordering is flexible. Lastly, I'd like this to update to a database of some sort on the local computer, but also have the option for the user to enter mysql information so that it could update to a website. (That could be useful for keeping a constant inventory if the program is loaded on multiple computers, and if a future web app is needed.)

Of course at the completion of this I'd own all rights to the code, and would need the code to be sent to me (So please comment it so I can follow along if something needs to be changed in the future.) I figure this is a pretty simple task and would rather pay someone here than someone in some random country. I started making it in vb.net I just don't know how to do the database functions. I'll attach a picture of the form I made, which could be a basis to work off of.

PM me if you're interested in making this, I'd need it by the middle of next week at the latest..but I'm sure someone here could whip this up in a night or a weekend.

I posted this on Rent a Coder but I don't want to hire someone foreign. I'd rather pay someone here, but I don't have much to spend. The bid I was going to accept on RAC was for $35 and was from an American, but he backed out last minute due to changing from Windows to Linux. I'd like to stay around that price range, but am open to bids.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:38:52 pm by truste1 »
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
Re: Request: Simple Inventory Management (Paid)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 06:55:14 pm »
It'll be tough finding somebody willing to do this for $35, outside of rent-a-coder, since that's chump change. I'd expect most developers ask a fairly high hourly rate and quote 30-40 hours. I've seen developer web pages asking $95 an hour and quoting 400 hours on projects that people here might consider simple.

But, then again... maybe you'll find a poor, low self-esteem somebody. :P
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 07:05:08 pm by warz »
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 07:09:29 pm »
Which is why I'm asking here, most people here program for fun and not as their job. I can spend $50 on this or I can figure out how to do it myself. I think for most people here it would take a night at the max, the only difficult part (and it might not be that difficult...I just don't know how to since I'm not a programmer) is the database part.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 02:50:40 pm »
To tie up loose ends, I found a developer for this shortly after posting and am so far happy with the results. I don't think they have low self-esteem.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:26:50 pm »
It'll be tough finding somebody willing to do this for $35, outside of rent-a-coder, since that's chump change. I'd expect most developers ask a fairly high hourly rate and quote 30-40 hours. I've seen developer web pages asking $95 an hour and quoting 400 hours on projects that people here might consider simple.

But, then again... maybe you'll find a poor, low self-esteem somebody. :P

Yeah, I'm not sure that I'd charge for 30-40 hours for this project, but my hourly rate for side work ranges from $80-$100/hour.  That means that what I don't get is generally something I didn't want (mindless), I don't get a lot (good because I want a life), and the stuff that I DO get is pretty interesting.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:12:35 pm »
This project seems to have database related work involved in it. You could easily quote 30-40 hours. I'd be surprised if you didn't. :P
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 11:00:44 pm »
This project seems to have database related work involved in it. You could easily quote 30-40 hours. I'd be surprised if you didn't. :P

Using .NET 3.5 I could set up a SQL server database and have a program reading and writing to it in < 4 hours.  I'm not sure why I would charge 30-40 hours. :P

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:09:02 am »

Using .NET 3.5 I could set up a SQL server database and have a program reading and writing to it in < 4 hours.  I'm not sure why I would charge 30-40 hours. :P

To argue about how much normalization is required in the schema?

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 02:16:21 am »

With myself?

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 07:57:18 am »

With myself?
The more time you spend arguing with yourself, the more hours you can quote!
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:43:14 am »

With myself?
The more time you spend arguing with yourself, the more hours you can quote!

Brilliant!