Author Topic: Fat People Contribute 1,000,000,000 tons of CO2 emissions  (Read 5930 times)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: Fat People Contribute 1,000,000,000 tons of CO2 emissions
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 08:37:47 pm »
Force all fat people to become vegetarians.
I'm coming up on two years of being vegan and eating healthy, not to mention exercising regularily, and I haven't lost any weight (I've always been overweight).

It's not always so simple.

you obviously aren't exercising hard or long enough ;). Run 18 hours a day, that should work.

No, iago will be "overweight" forever, but he's still not fat.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 08:40:51 pm »
I always pictured iago as being fat.  Of course I've never seen a pix of him, but his handle just sounds like a fat person's for some reason.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 08:42:38 pm »
I always pictured iago as being fat.  Of course I've never seen a pix of him, but his handle just sounds like a fat person's for some reason.

lol

Ain't Life Grand?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 10:54:22 pm »
I'm coming up on two years of being vegan and eating healthy, not to mention exercising regularily, and I haven't lost any weight (I've always been overweight).

you obviously aren't exercising hard or long enough ;). Run 18 hours a day, that should work.
No thanks. :P

(and my reply was specifically targeted at the previous post, about all fat people becoming vegetarian :P)

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 10:59:50 pm »
To get this back on topic:

Or tax junk food companies.

That won't work, they'll just pass the charge onto the buyers.

That's the point...

Edit:
Longer explanation: As a general principle of economics there is a certain price where every buyer will eventually stop buying, so as price rices overall quantity demanded always decreases. The government can't tax fat people, that is discriminatory and would be terrible PR for the elected officials involved. By taxing companies that produce unhealthy food, the government can kill two birds with one stone. On the one hand, it looks good because it's punishing companies that do not consider health a top priority (i.e. tax for using grease instead of vegetable oil) so it's a win for the FDA, HHS, or whoever else gets involved,  in that regard. The real benefit of this is that it will cut out some buyers at varying price points, especially if a healthier option is available cheaper. For example, if baked chips are cheaper than fried chips. Eventually companies will be forced to produce healthier goods. Even if they don't, some percentage of consumers will stop or reduce their purchasing of junk food items. The government can also use the money from the tax to fund a government subsidy of fresh, healthy foods. The idea is to reduce the price of healthy foods and increase the price of junk foods.

Of course there will always be people who want junk food, but they are most likely a lost cause in the end. The key is really to reduce the consumption not eliminate it. Everything is fine in moderation.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 11:06:51 pm »
I've never thought of someone being fat from how they talk :P Unless all they talk about is eating food and sitting on their ass, of course.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 11:22:42 pm »

I was being sarcastic. There's plenty of junk that has no meat in it that'll make you fat. Drinking a liter of soda a day, 7 large bags of chips, a box of twinkies, and 2 gallons of ice cream a day won't help you lose any weight.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 11:30:20 pm »

I was being sarcastic. There's plenty of junk that has no meat in it that'll make you fat. Drinking a liter of soda a day, 7 large bags of chips, a box of twinkies, and 2 gallons of ice cream a day won't help you lose any weight.

Definitely true.

But eating all that (except the bits that have dairy in them) probably isn't going to contribute to global warning, so it's a win! :)

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 11:40:15 pm »

Definitely true.

But eating all that (except the bits that have dairy in them) probably isn't going to contribute to global warning, so it's a win! :)

Not exactly, it takes far more than 1 calorie of energy to produce 1 calorie of food. I don't recall the exact figure, but I saw it in a documentary. Consider the methods of production, packaging, and especially transport energy.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 11:44:50 pm »

Definitely true.

Not exactly, it takes far more than 1 calorie of energy to produce 1 calorie of food. I don't recall the exact figure, but I saw it in a documentary. Consider the methods of production, packaging, and especially transport energy.

That's true, but livestock is considerably worse than other foods in terms of wasted energy, not the least because you have to feed the cattle, and it's something like 10 calories of food are fed to an animal to produce 1 calorie of meat (and, as you said, those 10 calories take more than 10 calories to produce)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 07:33:48 am »

Definitely true.

That's true, but livestock is considerably worse than other foods in terms of wasted energy, not the least because you have to feed the cattle, and it's something like 10 calories of food are fed to an animal to produce 1 calorie of meat (and, as you said, those 10 calories take more than 10 calories to produce)

You are forgetting the fact that the 1 calorie produced is fucking delicious

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 08:40:19 am »
Why not just get rid of high fructose corn syrups?  That would probably help a lot.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 03:43:39 pm »

I thought his point was that fat vegetarians don't eat meat.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!