Author Topic: Partitions  (Read 7204 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Partitions
« on: May 22, 2009, 03:47:59 am »
So, I might be getting a laptop with 320gb hard drive space.

Unfortunately, it comes preloaded with Vista. Therefore, I'm going to scrap the entire drive and just install XP and Slackware (:D). I'm wondering how I should partition the drive so that I can have a Windows NTFS partition, a Slackware ext-3 partition, and a swap partition for both to share documents/music/movies.

Thanks all!
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Partitions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 04:11:22 am »
fuck slackware.  seriously... what's the god damned point?!

a 'swap' partition is a partition that Linux uses to 'swap' memory to.  It's kind of like pagefile.sys in Windows.

A shared partition is easy, but it's probably easier to just have the Windows partition serve that function too, since Linux can do fine with reading/writing NTFS.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:36:53 am »
Depending on where you get it from, you might have a hard time finding XP drivers -- my parents laptops are forever distorted because none of the new video cards have XP drivers.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:10:55 pm »
Are you sure you aren't thinking of an older version of Windows? In my recent experience, XP has had better driver support than any other OS, especially from major chip manufacturers such as Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD/ATI.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 02:13:53 pm »
No, I'm quite sure it's Windows XP.

I've talked to a lot of other people who noticed the same thing, too -- many manufacturers aren't writing drivers for XP anymore.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 02:50:30 pm »
fuck slackware.  seriously... what's the god damned point?!

a 'swap' partition is a partition that Linux uses to 'swap' memory to.  It's kind of like pagefile.sys in Windows.

A shared partition is easy, but it's probably easier to just have the Windows partition serve that function too, since Linux can do fine with reading/writing NTFS.
For the purposes of the laptop, Slackware more than meets my needs. And I've noticed on my friend's laptop that running *nix gets better battery life out of his computer as opposed to XP.
So I'd have Windows partition a segment during install that would serve as C:\ for Windows. Once Windows is installed I would partition part of the unpartitioned drive and just have it NTFS? And then I'd install Linux on the remaining partition?

I haven't installed Linux in a while, but that's how it goes right? Or does Slackware require 2 partitions?

Depending on where you get it from, you might have a hard time finding XP drivers -- my parents laptops are forever distorted because none of the new video cards have XP drivers.
Well my entire chipset is Intel, and I think HP has drivers online, but this is all stuff I must research. I realllly don't want to be stuck with Vista.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 03:16:59 pm »
Well my entire chipset is Intel, and I think HP has drivers online, but this is all stuff I must research. I realllly don't want to be stuck with Vista.
Install Linux (which has drivers for everything), then install VMWare (which runs nicely on Linux), then install Windows XP (which has drivers for VMWare). Problem solved!

(Kidding, of course :) )

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 03:58:18 pm »
For the purposes of the laptop, Slackware more than meets my needs. And I've noticed on my friend's laptop that running *nix gets better battery life out of his computer as opposed to XP.
So I'd have Windows partition a segment during install that would serve as C:\ for Windows. Once Windows is installed I would partition part of the unpartitioned drive and just have it NTFS? And then I'd install Linux on the remaining partition?

I haven't installed Linux in a while, but that's how it goes right? Or does Slackware require 2 partitions?

I was suggesting you use a distribution other than slackware, especially for a laptop.  I'd recommend Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.  One of the ones that has an officially maintained package repository.  It makes updates so much easier, and installing new software is about as easy as it can be (usually).  I'd steer clear of Slackware for a laptop... it's just way more trouble than it's worth for something like that. (imo).

Linux generally likes to have a swap partition, but it's a trivial amount of space if you're going to be using a 320GB hard drive.  I think the swap partition on my desktop is only 5GB or something like that.  It's generally easier to install Windows first, since you'll want to have grub (or something) on your MBR, and Windows overwrites the MBR every time it's installed.  I'd give Windows most of the space (say 290 GB).  You won't need much space for Linux if you're going to be putting files on the Winders partition.

Then, after you've installed Linux, you can just mount the Windows partition and use that as the 'shared' partition.

Also, I've liked Windows 7.  It's worth checking out, anyway.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 04:00:02 pm by Sidoh »

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 05:16:35 pm »
I was suggesting you use a distribution other than slackware, especially for a laptop.  I'd recommend Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.  One of the ones that has an officially maintained package repository.  It makes updates so much easier, and installing new software is about as easy as it can be (usually).  I'd steer clear of Slackware for a laptop... it's just way more trouble than it's worth for something like that. (imo).
Ah. The reason I'm picking Slack is because I'm the most familiar with it out of all of the Linux distros, so it would be easier for me to troubleshoot if something went wrong. I don't plan to update the distro every time a major update is released, unless it fixes something super important. It's not worth the time, regardless of distro.
Linux generally likes to have a swap partition, but it's a trivial amount of space if you're going to be using a 320GB hard drive.  I think the swap partition on my desktop is only 5GB or something like that.  It's generally easier to install Windows first, since you'll want to have grub (or something) on your MBR, and Windows overwrites the MBR every time it's installed.  I'd give Windows most of the space (say 290 GB).  You won't need much space for Linux if you're going to be putting files on the Winders partition.

Then, after you've installed Linux, you can just mount the Windows partition and use that as the 'shared' partition.

Also, I've liked Windows 7.  It's worth checking out, anyway.
I'm just thinking in terms of "if I fuck Linux/Windows up", but wouldn't it be 'safer' to have a separate partition for my important documents and things? I'll be attempting to do regular backups of all of my data, but just in case I get a virus on Windows or drastically fuck up a command in Linux (I have been known to rm /* by accident...) then I don't lose everything?

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 01:20:38 am »
Well, chillin' on Vista right now. Vista makes doing some things a huge pain in the ass, and the fact that this has preinstalled software makes it another pain in the ass, but overall I'm digging the laptop experience. SPent a while getting a lot of my old settings from my desktop onto here.. and next will be to transfer music.

Might not end up installing XP but I'll buy it for sure, since student price is $10.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 07:06:05 pm »
Hrmm... what other software do you get really cheap on your campus?
errr... something like that...

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 11:17:21 pm »
Hrmm... what other software do you get really cheap on your campus?
Free matlab, mathematica, etc. for IT students. Office 03/07 cheap rates. I could look them up exactly but I don't intend to buy much :p

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 08:00:39 pm »
Ah. The reason I'm picking Slack is because I'm the most familiar with it out of all of the Linux distros, so it would be easier for me to troubleshoot if something went wrong. I don't plan to update the distro every time a major update is released, unless it fixes something super important. It's not worth the time, regardless of distro.

It's doubtful, lol.  In most cases, troubleshooting well-supported distros is going to be easier regardless of previous experience of Slackware.

I'm just thinking in terms of "if I fuck Linux/Windows up", but wouldn't it be 'safer' to have a separate partition for my important documents and things? I'll be attempting to do regular backups of all of my data, but just in case I get a virus on Windows or drastically fuck up a command in Linux (I have been known to rm /* by accident...) then I don't lose everything?

Separating it would prevent that, but it also makes some things slightly more inconvenient.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 08:45:13 pm »

It's doubtful, lol.  In most cases, troubleshooting well-supported distros is going to be easier regardless of previous experience of Slackware.
Slackware is well supported, and has better library support than any distro I've tried.

As long as you don't mind compiling from source, you'll likely have little trouble with Slackware.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 08:50:45 pm »
As long as you don't mind compiling from source

This is a rather significant caveat.

Compiling X...
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCK I NEED Y

Compiling Y
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCK I NEED Z...

etc... with something like Ubuntu, it's

sudo apt-get install X

FUCKING DONE!

Not that I always find this significantly more convenient than installing from source, but quite often, it is.

This is just one thing, though.  If there's a specific issue, it's uncommon to not turn up a few results on the internet with people having the same problem (and subsequently solving it).  This is true of Slackware too, but it happens less frequently, in my experience.

I definitely prefer something like Ubuntu or Fedora to Slackware for desktop.