Author Topic: Is your chocolate harvested by child slaves?  (Read 9835 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Is your chocolate harvested by child slaves?
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:13:22 am »
Answer: probably.

http://www.foodrevolution.org/slavery_chocolate.htm

That's a bit out of date, but according to my research the planned elimination of child slavery by 2005 wasn't met, so it was extended to 2008. That wasn't met either, so it was extended further out.

This sort of goes with a thread I posted about a Chinese guy committing suicide, in that the prices we pay for things are totally unrealistic, and greatly depend on the abuse of other cultures.

As for companies that most likely support child slavery by buying their cocoa from suppliers that use child slaves:

The $13 billion U.S. chocolate industry is heavily dominated by just two firms - Hershey's and M&M Mars - who control two-thirds of the market. Unfortunately, both of these companies fall into the category of those companies who use large amounts of Ivory Coast cocoa, and whose products are almost certainly produced in part by slavery.

[...]

M&M Mars and Hershey Foods Corp. are not alone. Other companies whose chocolate is almost certainly tainted with child slavery include: ADM Cocoa, Ben & Jerry's, Cadbury Ltd., Chocolates by Bernard Callebaut, Fowler's Chocolate, Godiva, Guittard Chocolate Company, Kraft, Nestle, See's Candies, The Chocolate Vault, and Toblerone. While most of these companies have issued condemnations of slavery, and expressed a great deal of moral outrage that it exists in the industry, they each have acknowledged that they use Ivory Coast cocoa and so have no grounds to ensure consumers that their products are slavery-free.

Companies like Mars, Hershey, and Nestle often say that there is no way they can control the labor practices of their suppliers. But there are other chocolate companies who manage to do so, and it would seem that if the bigger companies really wanted to reform problems in the supply chain, they have the power and ability to do so.

There are in fact many chocolate companies who only use cocoa that has definitively not been produced with slave labor. These companies include Clif Bar, Cloud Nine, Dagoba Organic Chocolate, Denman Island Chocolate, Gardners Candies, Green and Black's, Kailua Candy Company, Koppers Chocolate, L.A. Burdick Chocolates, Montezuma's Chocolates, Newman's Own Organics, Omanhene Cocoa Bean Company, Rapunzel Pure Organics, and The Endangered Species Chocolate Company.

Personally, when I do eat chocolate (which is rare), I'll buy Fair Trade. It's significantly more expensive ($4 - $5 for a bar), but it's worth it in my mind. They talk about Fair Trade in that story, too.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
Re: Is your chocolate harvested by child slaves?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 05:11:10 pm »
I hope mine is.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 05:17:02 pm »
I hope mine is.

Their sweat, blood and tears only add to the rich flavor.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 06:49:37 pm »
If you guys are joking, it's in incredibly bad taste (no pun intended) -- we're talking 10-12 year olds who spend their entire lives being beaten within an inch of their lives and who never get to see their families.

These children, usually 12-to-14-years-old but sometimes younger, are forced to do hard manual labor 80 to 100 hours a week. They are paid nothing, are barely fed, are beaten regularly, and are often viciously beaten if they try to escape. Most will never see their families again.

There's absolutely nothing funny about that.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 06:49:49 pm »
That's just the extra ingredient of love. And, you can't spend your entire life being a 10-12 year old. You'll eventually hit 13.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 07:08:55 pm »
I don't have much of a sweet tooth, I couldn't care less at the end of the day.  As long as I don't have to see it or know about it.  I mean sure, I read the story and I think to myself "How terrible" but at the end of the day when I'm out buying shit, it's not like I'm going to go way out of my way to try and buy this "Fair Trade" or w/e shit you talk about.  It's the price they pay for living in a developing nation.  Hey, even America had abuse of child labor and slavery in it's history.  I'm a self-centered selfish bastard who doesn't care about shit unless it directly (and to an extent indirectly) impacts my life, I admit it.

You're such a carebear iago.  I'm kind of glad people like you exist to do my share of caring about such things :P.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:22:50 pm by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 10:19:18 pm »
I don't have much of a sweet tooth, I couldn't care less at the end of the day.  As long as I don't have to see it or know about it.  I mean sure, I read the story and I think to myself "How terrible" but at the end of the day when I'm out buying shit, it's not like I'm going to go way out of my way to try and buy this "Fair Trade" or w/e shit you talk about.  It's the price they pay for living in a developing nation.  Hey, even America had abuse of child labor and slavery in it's history.  I'm a self-centered selfish bastard who doesn't care about shit unless it directly (and to an extent indirectly) impacts my life, I admit it.

You're such a carebear iago.  I'm kind of glad people like you exist to do my share of caring about such things :P.

Between this, and other posts, I think you need an empathy chip.

Sure, almost everyone is a hypocrite, myself included, but at least we are hypocrites! (e.g. at least we care, to some extent).

When you say it's the "price they pay for living in a developing nation", you make it sound as though they have a choice.  It's also similar to saying when a woman is raped, it is the price she pays for being attractive to the rapist.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 01:04:46 am »
I have a mild case of aspergers.  It explains a lot of my social ineptness and why I have to work so hard to empathize.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 02:12:15 am »
As I said in another related post, the word "sociopath" comes to mind.

Offline disco

• Comfortably Numb
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 05:11:17 pm »
That's just the extra ingredient of love. And, you can't spend your entire life being a 10-12 year old. You'll eventually hit 13.

Then it's time to start thinking about your career as a child soldier!

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 06:11:42 pm »
Bu... bu... but I thought Cadbury Cream Eggs were laid by magical rabbits?
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 12:52:46 pm »
I hope mine is.

^-- this is what i was going to post.  thank you, sir.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 04:29:25 pm »
/shrug

Bad things happen everywhere all the time.  It doesn't directly affect us and I don't intend to make it affect me.  If you're worried about the treatment of children in 3rd world countries, buying an expensive chocolate bar isn't the way to help the problem.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 06:14:20 pm »
This thread is hilarious and rather sad..
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 08:22:17 pm »
/shrug

Bad things happen everywhere all the time.  It doesn't directly affect us and I don't intend to make it affect me.  If you're worried about the treatment of children in 3rd world countries, buying an expensive chocolate bar isn't the way to help the problem.
I absolutely disagree. The torture of people, no matter where they live is bad, and the first step to changing things is to recognize the problem exists, and avoid supporting it. I really don't understand how people can ignore or make fun of the problen so easily -- is an absolutely horrible thing.