Poll

If a zombie freezes solid, then thaws, will it keep going?

Yes, it's fine
8 (66.7%)
No, it's dead dead
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Frozen zombies?  (Read 8083 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Frozen zombies?
« on: August 30, 2010, 07:38:28 pm »
Settle an argument I'm having. :)

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
Re: Frozen zombies?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:50:05 pm »
Absolutely. While the freezing process may cause some damage to the brain as any remaining juices solidify, it would hardly be the kind of catastrophic damage necessary to completely disable the walking dead.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 10:47:08 pm »
Freezer burn.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 11:20:55 pm »
I'm fairly sure it's dependent on the method of freezing. For example, if a cryoprotectant were used to protect the cells, it'd be just fine. However, if it were just slowly frozen and nice large crystals were allowed to form, not so much. :(
errr... something like that...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:57:58 am »
I'm fairly sure it's dependent on the method of freezing. For example, if a cryoprotectant were used to protect the cells, it'd be just fine. However, if it were just slowly frozen and nice large crystals were allowed to form, not so much. :(
Well, the original argument was about whether or not they'd survive the winter, so I'll take your answer as "no".

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:04:16 am »
Well, the original argument was about whether or not they'd survive the winter, so I'll take your answer as "no".
But how much data do you have on the migratory patterns of zombies? I'm fairly sure that's important. :P
errr... something like that...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:18:35 am »
But how much data do you have on the migratory patterns of zombies? I'm fairly sure that's important. :P
I don't think they have the intelligence to migrate, but good thought. :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 03:59:10 pm »
Are you saying that zombies are non-migratory?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 04:51:52 pm »

Is migration a trait of intelligence? Birds aren't so smart, and they migrate.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 05:57:14 pm »
Survive the winter, or survive the winter in Winnipeg?  Most humans can't do the latter :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 10:31:22 pm »

Is migration a trait of intelligence? Birds aren't so smart, and they migrate.
Intelligence was the wrong word. While it's true that zombies exist purely on instinct, I'm not sure that humans (for the most part) have the instinctive need to go south for winter.

Maybe the elderly zombies.. :)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 10:55:47 pm »
Humans also don't have the instinctive nature to eat brains. I'd say that if zombies cannot survive being frozen, then eventually the zombie-parasite/virus will evolve, and the zombie will have migration instincts to survive winters if it doesn't already.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 11:29:23 pm »
Humans also don't have the instinctive nature to eat brains. I'd say that if zombies cannot survive being frozen, then eventually the zombie-parasite/virus will evolve, and the zombie will have migration instincts to survive winters if it doesn't already.
Humans do, however, have the instinctive nature to reproduce, to eat, and to fuck each other over, and that's what zombies are doing.

Zombies don't specifically eat brains. That's a misconception perpetrated by Return of the Living Dead, which was NOT made by a respectable film maker. In the Return of the Living Dead mythos, zombies cannot be killed, ever.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 05:14:35 am »
As http://redvsblue.com/archive/?id=226 clearly indicates, Alaska is the safest place to be in the event of a zombie invasion.  They'd be corpsicled!
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 01:19:49 pm »
The virus that creates a zombie produces a sort of antifreeze in the blood stream, which is absorbed by all portions of the body, much like creatures that live in the sub-freezing waters of the arctic. Therefore the zombies can live in sub-freezing temperatures without the ice forming in damaging ways.