Author Topic: Went for a walk in high heels today...  (Read 11543 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Went for a walk in high heels today...
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 05:36:26 pm »
I feel the same about saying "that person" over and over instead of "him" or "her." Also, "that person" is also longer to say. Whatever.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 05:50:28 pm »
You just have to be tactful and avoid the need to use pronouns altogether. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 06:15:53 pm »
Here is an excerpt from an email I just received regarding applying for a teaching assistant position at the law school:
*  refrain from dating or close personal relationships with students in his/her section.

What's a good way to phrase that without pronouns? "A teaching assistant should refrain from a relationship with students in the section that teaching assistant is assigned to"?
Yeah...I guess that sounds better.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 06:32:16 pm »
Here is an excerpt from an email I just received regarding applying for a teaching assistant position at the law school:
*  refrain from dating or close personal relationships with students in his/her section.

What's a good way to phrase that without pronouns? "A teaching assistant should refrain from a relationship with students in the section that teaching assistant is assigned to"?
I always learned "his/her" was an awkward construct and using only "his" was acceptable practice.

I was pondering how to refer to transvestites using pronouns, and I think I figured out an objective way to do it! I'll use the appropriate pronoun based on what the transvestite's driver license has listed under sex. That's what the legal system says, so I'll go with it.
errr... something like that...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 08:54:39 pm »

It already avoids using specific pronouns, so I'd say no big deal. :)

The easiest way to avoid a pronoun there, though, is to make the whole thing plural. "Teaching assistants should refrain from relationships with students in the sections that they are teaching."

Note that I'm not pluralizing just the pronoun (his->their), that's bad grammar. I'm pluralizing the whole thing.

I always learned "his/her" was an awkward construct and using only "his" was acceptable practice.

I was pondering how to refer to transvestites using pronouns, and I think I figured out an objective way to do it! I'll use the appropriate pronoun based on what the transvestite's driver license has listed under sex. That's what the legal system says, so I'll go with it.
I agree that using "his/her" is awkward, but I don't like changing it to "his". Some might say it's right, but some don't, so I wouldn't do it. Instead, rephrase it, use plural, and, only if you're totally stuck, use "his/her". :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 09:11:29 pm »

Speaking of, a friend of mine is dating one of his old students.  He's 31.  She's 17.  Holy shit.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 09:31:29 pm »

Speaking of, a friend of mine is dating one of his old students.  He's 31.  She's 17.  Holy shit.

That's fine and okay , IMO, as long as he isn't leveraging any power he had, or misleading her to think it's something permanent.

Oh, and assuming it's legal to date <18 in whatever state he's in. But legal/illegal != right/wrong.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 09:50:11 pm »

That's fine and okay , IMO, as long as he isn't leveraging any power he had, or misleading her to think it's something permanent.

Oh, and assuming it's legal to date <18 in whatever state he's in. But legal/illegal != right/wrong.

I don't know... I think it's sort of creepy.  Even if it's completely consensual, I think dating someone under 20 when you're over 25 is just weird.  People don't really know what they want or what they'll be like when they're that young, so I kind of see it as taking advantage of someone.

I don't think they started dating until the class ended; he didn't do anything sketchy with grading or power.

He's a perfectly nice guy (although a little dense), and she's adorable.  But so young.  And he's so old.  It's just creepy.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 09:56:23 pm »
Speaking of, a friend of mine is dating one of his old students.  He's 31.  She's 17.  Holy shit.
Yeah... My high school chemistry teacher ended up marrying one of his students.... They must have started dating during or shortly after his class.
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 10:54:03 pm »

Only his huh? Strange. What I've found interesting is that law school texts have mostly switched from using "he" to using "she."

Your friend is going to jail...lol? 14 years is a decent age-gap. Man.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 11:14:33 pm »
No, he's not going to jail.  The age of consent in Hawai`i is something pretty low -- like 15... maybe 14.  He's still a creepy motherfucker, though.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 12:19:23 am »
I don't know... I think it's sort of creepy.  Even if it's completely consensual, I think dating someone under 20 when you're over 25 is just weird.  People don't really know what they want or what they'll be like when they're that young, so I kind of see it as taking advantage of someone.

I don't think they started dating until the class ended; he didn't do anything sketchy with grading or power.

He's a perfectly nice guy (although a little dense), and she's adorable.  But so young.  And he's so old.  It's just creepy.
(let's pretend she's 18 for the sake of argument)

I totally get what you mean about creepy. There's definitely no potential for a long-term relationship (or there shouldn't be), so as long as they're both aware of that, and whatnot, I don't think it's such a bad thing.

I really like the "campground" rule for dating younger people - leave them in a better condition than you found them (no STDs, pregnancies, or emotional scars). Thanks, Dan Savage! :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 12:24:11 am »
Hah, Dan Savage is great.  I was introduced to him by my former roommate, who happened to be about as gay as they come.  I have scandalous stories, but maybe not appropriate for this board.

I don't think either them think the relationship is purely carnal.  I definitely don't get the impression that they're each other's monogamous fuckbuddies.  I guess that's the problem I have.

That's an excellent rule.  I don't think any reasonable person could argue with that.  Then again, I don't think non-consequentialism is reasonable. :)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 01:52:58 am »
I have scandalous stories, but maybe not appropriate for this board.

Huh.  I think you and I come to this website for completely different reasons.  :popcorn:
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 04:11:06 am »
I meant the 'general discussion' board, not x86 in general.  Maybe we should make a 'Storytime' thread in the members area. :)