Author Topic: Question: Indians or Native Americans  (Read 12748 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Question: Indians or Native Americans
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 12:37:51 pm »
If someone got upset for the use of 'weirdo', they're just being stupidly oversensitive.  I would go out of my way to inject it into more sentences, if anything.
I think it calls for mocking the person for the next 3 years.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 09:50:21 pm »
If someone got upset for the use of 'weirdo', they're probably a complete fucking weirdo.
fixed
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:48 am »
So, did we get the dot or feather question answered that was originally asked, before iago hijacked the thread with his stupid gay-rights (note that I included the hyphen to preclude the notion that it was using one of his definitions)?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 01:27:41 pm »
So, did we get the dot or feather question answered that was originally asked, before iago hijacked the thread with his stupid gay-rights (note that I included the hyphen to preclude the notion that it was using one of his definitions)?
"gay-rights" in that context shouldn't be hyphenated!

Also, there's no answer to the original question, nor is there an answer to the gay question. The point is, it's different for everybody and normally about context.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 06:13:46 pm »
I dunno. I asked my gf once (she was referring to indian something, so I asked "dot or feather?"), and she said that was offensive. I guess in her line of work it'd be offensive (psychology...trying to make everyone feel un-judged and whatnot), but IRL, I think the question isnt all that offensive.

I have the solution.

Dot or feather?

Apparently that is also offensive. WTF?

/joking, kinda

I've met feather-indians and dot-indians that also ask/are amused by the question. However, gf in "multicultural bullshit" class has informed me that question is offensive.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 06:43:23 pm »
I dunno. I asked my gf once (she was referring to indian something, so I asked "dot or feather?"), and she said that was offensive. I guess in her line of work it'd be offensive (psychology...trying to make everyone feel un-judged and whatnot), but IRL, I think the question isnt all that offensive.

Tell your girlfriend:
I love when white people try to convince me something should offend me.

And then see how utterly indignant she gets as a white person. I guarantee mad luls will ensue.

Note: this may or may not have been based on previous experiences.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 06:56:34 pm »
deadly, forgive me, but are you indian? I dont generally know/recall what races/ethnicities (I dont know the difference) everyone here is, but I seem to recall dot-Indian.

My take on life is "fuck people." If I mean well and do well, but someone takes offense with something I innocently say, fuck 'em. She's finally realized that. She met a 50 yr old mexican dude I'm friends with that talks ALL SORTS of shit about wetbacks. It was actually pretty shocking to her.

For her multicultural class she had to go do something "outside of her comfort zone." Her friend went to a TTU College Republicans meeting. That's bullshit. My gf said she doesnt know of anything that'd make her feel uncomfortable, and then I reminded her of my "colored" (i.e., hispanic) friends that hate so much on "wetbacks."

Note: wetbacks are the illegals that are a drain on society (commit crimes, use food stamps, etc). They are very different than hispanic/mexican folks. (that is from my friends of mexican decent...1st generation decent, or crossed the border legally themselves).

My group of friends is rather strange. We're all "racist," but it's more about using racist terms to belittle people of a race that are shitty citizens (e.g., wetbacks, niggers, rednecks, etc). all offensive terms that are based on race, but we use those terms "against" the less-awesome people of that race. I like that my group of friends consists of white folks, black folks, mexican folks, and asian folks; but again, we're all "racist" against shitty people.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 07:56:28 pm »
By taking a segregated group of people and using a specific slur (or whatever you want to call it) to refer to them, you're making them even more segregated and making it even less likely that they'll eventually be integrated into society. That's why I'm against using certain slurs.

I will stand by the fact that "words don't matter, context does" - but when the context is to call out a group that you don't like, then it's a Bad Thing.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 10:59:36 pm »
By taking a segregated group of people and using a specific slur (or whatever you want to call it) to refer to them, you're making them even more segregated and making it even less likely that they'll eventually be integrated into society. That's why I'm against using certain slurs.

I will stand by the fact that "words don't matter, context does" - but when the context is to call out a group that you don't like, then it's a Bad Thing.

I don't agree with your analysis.  I think it's the offense people take to a racial slur that's to blame, not the slur itself.

There's no intrinsic derogatory value in a word; its offensiveness is arbitrary.

People need to stop being so fucking sensitive.  I find it hilarious that the only people that seem to care about racial slurs are white people.  Asians crack asian jokes.  My girlfriend thought this T-shirt was absolutely hilarious and wanted to buy one:

It's stupid.  Stop getting offended for people.  It's their business, not yours.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:16:45 am by iago »

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 11:55:11 pm »
I don't agree with your analysis.  I think it's the offense people take to a racial slur that's to blame, not the slur itself.

There's no intrinsic derogatory value in a word; its offensiveness is arbitrary.

People need to stop being so fucking sensitive.  I find it hilarious that the only people that seem to care about racial slurs are white people.  Asians crack asian jokes.  My girlfriend thought this T-shirt was absolutely hilarious and wanted to buy one:

[img]http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/two_wongs_tshirt.jpg[/url]

It's stupid.  Stop getting offended for people.  It's their business, not yours.

I love when white people try to convince me something should offend me.

keke.

deadly, forgive me, but are you indian? I dont generally know/recall what races/ethnicities (I dont know the difference) everyone here is, but I seem to recall dot-Indian.
Yeah. I'm Tony Singh from Dell Tech Support. Perhaps you've called me? I try to minimize my accent; how am I doing?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 01:16:37 am »

I don't agree with your analysis.  I think it's the offense people take to a racial slur that's to blame, not the slur itself.

People need to stop being so fucking sensitive.  I find it hilarious that the only people that seem to care about racial slurs are white people.  Asians crack asian jokes.  My girlfriend thought this T-shirt was absolutely hilarious and wanted to buy one:

It's stupid.  Stop getting offended for people.  It's their business, not yours.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the words intrinsically - that's what I've been more or less saying this whole thread - the problem is when you use a slur to describe a segregated demographic you don't like. Grouping them all together under "wetbacks" or "indians" or "fags" or whatever it happens to be just further segregates them and makes the integration more difficult. Even using words that aren't typically considered slurs ("natives" or "the gays") can have the same effect if used that way. It's not the words themselves, but the attitudes and how they're being used.