Author Topic: Stupid GUI designs  (Read 11015 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Stupid GUI designs
« on: September 08, 2011, 05:11:43 pm »
One of the most irritating aspects of Windows and Windows-wannabe Window managers is the 'Minimize', 'Maximize' and 'Close' button tightly bundled together at the top right (top left for OS X). Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to group non-critical windowing operations such as 'Minimize' and 'Maximize' with critical operations such as 'Close'? Surely no one clumsy or in a hurry will accidentally press the 'Close' button when they really meant to maximize or minimize, will they?

Why can't 'Close' be on the top left and 'Minimize' and 'Maximize' on the top right? That would make it really hard to press 'Close' by mistake. 'Close' really deserves some care and respect.

Good thing some applications are well written to ask you if you want to save your work or if you really want to exit.

Today I ran into another dumb GUI design, Command Prompt's drop down menu keeps 'Close' immediately above 'Edit' ... you know, in case you wanted to 'Mark' the command prompt to copy text or 'Paste' text into the command prompt. Except, when you're clumsy or in a hurry, you might click on 'Close' when you really wanted to click 'Edit.'

Seriously, why is this still an issue? Why is this really bad design continually propagated in so many other windowing systems?
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Stupid GUI designs
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 05:28:57 pm »
One of the most irritating aspects of Windows and Windows-wannabe Window managers is the 'Minimize', 'Maximize' and 'Close' button tightly bundled together at the top right (top left for OS X). Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to group non-critical windowing operations such as 'Minimize' and 'Maximize' with critical operations such as 'Close'? Surely no one clumsy or in a hurry will accidentally press the 'Close' button when they really meant to maximize or minimize, will they?

Why can't 'Close' be on the top left and 'Minimize' and 'Maximize' on the top right? That would make it really hard to press 'Close' by mistake. 'Close' really deserves some care and respect.

Good thing some applications are well written to ask you if you want to save your work or if you really want to exit.

Today I ran into another dumb GUI design, Command Prompt's drop down menu keeps 'Close' immediately above 'Edit' ... you know, in case you wanted to 'Mark' the command prompt to copy text or 'Paste' text into the command prompt. Except, when you're clumsy or in a hurry, you might click on 'Close' when you really wanted to click 'Edit.'

Seriously, why is this still an issue? Why is this really bad design continually propagated in so many other windowing systems?

Heh, I hadn't really thought about it much before, but I'll agree. It's pretty stupid. I very rarely use the close button, although that could be because I'm a process hoarder and don't close anything.

I've definitely pressed Cmd+Q meaning to press Cmd+Tab a few times and lost some work. That was not fun.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:32:20 pm »
Who uses the buttons anyway?  Alt+Space, (N|X|R) for minimize, maximize, restore; Alt+F4 for close (or Alt+F, X in many applications with a traditional menu).  Command prompt: Alt+Space, E, K (for mark), then Enter to copy once it's marked.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:39:31 pm »
Just be careful with what you do???

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 08:20:41 pm »
I haven't used a window manager with a minimize/maximize button forever. I hate maximized apps. :)

What *I* like, though, is consistency and clearness. For the odd time I have to use a mac, I never remember which of those little circles in the wrong place is minimize and which his maximize. Annoying++. I like it when they're labeled and don't move around (what's so wrong with top-right?)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:30:51 pm »
I haven't used a window manager with a minimize/maximize button forever. I hate maximized apps. :)

What *I* like, though, is consistency and clearness. For the odd time I have to use a mac, I never remember which of those little circles in the wrong place is minimize and which his maximize. Annoying++. I like it when they're labeled and don't move around (what's so wrong with top-right?)

I don't think anything is wrong with top-right, but I don't think that one should say what Windows does is the standard ;p

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 08:35:18 pm »
The windows standard exit is top right.  If you make a windows app, it should follow this, unless you have a really good reason not to.  The new firefox dev tools window thing has the close on the top left and it drives me mad.  >:(
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »
I don't think anything is wrong with top-right, but I don't think that one should say what Windows does is the standard ;p
Really?  That's like saying we should say that "Driving on the right is the standard in America."  ::)

I hate maximized apps. :)
Really?  I love them.  I hate that I can't get that on OS X usually, except for browsers.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 11:43:21 pm »

It's the standard if they did it first and for much, much longer. :P

I hate maximized apps. :)
Really?  I love them.  I hate that I can't get that on OS X usually, except for browsers.
I have a bunch of friends who use the Awesome window manager, which maximizes (or tiles) everything. That would make me crazy. I never maximize windows, I like them to be certain sizes and shapes and overlap in odd ways. I'm kinda weird. :)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 12:01:40 am »
I really like in Gnome2 when you go to move a window, you can move something to the edge of something else easily instead of just automatically putting it ontop like Windows does.  I'm explaining this really poorly, but Gnome makes it easier to line things up beside each other rather than putting windows on top of each other.  I like that.

I can't stand browsers not full screened.  Almost any other app is fine, but browsers need the true resolution.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 12:49:20 am »
I really like in Gnome2 when you go to move a window, you can move something to the edge of something else easily instead of just automatically putting it ontop like Windows does.  I'm explaining this really poorly, but Gnome makes it easier to line things up beside each other rather than putting windows on top of each other.  I like that.

I can't stand browsers not full screened.  Almost any other app is fine, but browsers need the true resolution.
I think that's called clipping?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 11:42:01 am »
The windows standard exit is top right.  If you make a windows app, it should follow this, unless you have a really good reason not to.  The new firefox dev tools window thing has the close on the top left and it drives me mad.  >:(
Firefox is a clusterfuck well beyond where they put the close button. I'm seriously contemplating shifting to Opera (since I don't want Chrome).
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 12:17:55 pm »
Probably because many people complained that they accidentally killed their browser window several times.

The "standard" is stupid. It lacks careful thought and consideration. Dangerous buttons like 'Close' should have never been grouped with non-critical windowing buttons.

After using various windowing systems, you should start to wonder why Windows 7 uses the same windowing as Windows 95. This isn't 1994 when people were unfamiliar with computers and we transitioned from 3.1 to a radically different Windows 95 ... there's no reason for a 'Start' button and a myriad of other stupid artifacts left from Windows 95 to assist clueless people. The Windows interface is ancient with no future redesign in sight.

In my opinion, the task bar should go away, the tray should become a larger dock, and the windowing system should support tiling.

The Task Bar
The task bar works well if you have relatively few windows. When you have too many windows then it becomes tedious to search through the task bar.
It would be nice if windows could be shaded (i.e. pulled up like a lamp shade) or iconified. Iconfication is a much more general concept than a task bar and allows you to place your iconified windows anywhere on the desktop.

The Tray
C'mon, how is anyone supposed to read any useful information out of ultra small agents in the tray? The tray should be replaced by a dock (i.e. like Windows 7 widgets) or a dashboard.

Tiling
For large displays, tiling is not essential, but for limited display screens (like tablets, netbooks, and phones) tiled window managers remove annoying overlap and windowing decorations that otherwise consume limited space. Android, for example, has a single tiled window manager (though for Tablets, it'd be nice if it supported more than just one window, maybe 2 or 3).

Tiling is also especially useful when you have several windows open as it enforces no-overlap. But, again, for large displays this isn't a big deal.

Tiling should be anisotropic (variably spaced grid).

An adorable giant isopod!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 12:34:06 pm »
In MY opinion, the worst thing about Windows' windowing system is that it's still built in and either impossible or difficult to replace.

I heard that Windows 8 is planning to decouple the UI from the OS finally, so you can use alternative window managers. We'll see how that goes. :)

Offline Skywing

• View Profile
    • Nynaeve
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:34 pm »
While it is easy to point at GUI's like that and say "Those dummies at Microsoft!  They have no idea what they are doing with this...", making a UI that users intuitively grasp in a productive/useful and discoverable way is much harder than it looks.  Believe it or not, there is a lot of work that goes into the Windows UI design.  The current design works (very well) for a lot of people.  Yes, you can't please everyone simultaneously, but it's certainly possible to come up with a design that works smoothly for the vast majority of persons.

- S (Works at Microsoft, certainly not a UI designer myself though)