Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1761915 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #1260 on: January 19, 2007, 09:45:11 pm »
My algebra II teacher didn't make you take the final if you had a 96%. I had a 96% in calculus and kinda wish I didn't have to take it. :'(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

trust

« Reply #1261 on: January 19, 2007, 10:02:11 pm »
She wrote on it and said "This note is for you and only you" and the note read "exempt from 5th bell exam." That class is so easy, I always rush to get my work done since I leave right after it and most days I'll leave class 20-30 minutes early and just go home. Oh and earlier this year she exempted me from the essay part of a test and nobody else.

She sounds like an awful and unprofessional teacher.  Just because you are doing well, (which is also suspect given her partial treatment towards you), doesn't mean that you should be evaluated differently than the rest of the class.

Also, 91.5% is a B? 

Her treatment is hardly in favor of me, I just receive some rewards here and there for my work I do. At one point I had a 112 average in the class.

And yes, 92.5% and up is an A, below that is a B.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: January 19, 2007, 10:25:56 pm »
She wrote on it and said "This note is for you and only you" and the note read "exempt from 5th bell exam." That class is so easy, I always rush to get my work done since I leave right after it and most days I'll leave class 20-30 minutes early and just go home. Oh and earlier this year she exempted me from the essay part of a test and nobody else.

She sounds like an awful and unprofessional teacher.  Just because you are doing well, (which is also suspect given her partial treatment towards you), doesn't mean that you should be evaluated differently than the rest of the class.

Also, 91.5% is a B? 

Her treatment is hardly in favor of me, I just receive some rewards here and there for my work I do. At one point I had a 112 average in the class.

For 92% to be considered a "second class" grade, that class must be extremely easy.  At most Canadian universities, 80% and above is an A, and at most British universities (e.g. Cambridge), 70% and above is the highest grade you can receive.  And it's hard to get 70% there.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: January 20, 2007, 01:56:43 am »
....Am I the only one that sees something slightly odd?  :-\

Anyway, it's been really strange as of late.  Usually, my roommate is never in the room with his girlfriend, but for the past few days, any time I come into the room for my wallet/watch/other stupid thing I forgot that I may need, him and his girlfriend are there.  I know, I know; it's his room, too, but it's just so out of the ordinary.
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: January 20, 2007, 02:49:09 am »

Also, 91.5% is a B? 

For 92% to be considered a "second class" grade, that class must be extremely easy.  At most Canadian universities, 80% and above is an A, and at most British universities (e.g. Cambridge), 70% and above is the highest grade you can receive.  And it's hard to get 70% there.
1) Canada sucks, so that completely voids your "canada point"
2) That's england, they're all nuts
3) We're in America...nothing lines up with the rest of the world
4) it should be a 90%...but w/e

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #1265 on: January 20, 2007, 04:54:35 am »

Also, 91.5% is a B? 

My horribly misinformed little friend...

1. Canada doesn't suck.
2. The English just talk funny. It's the Canadians who are nuts (but don't suck)
3. Sure. We use seconds! But that's about it.
4. Agreed. 70% is passing.. I hope their "70" isn't equivalent to our "90" (go for 50 and they can claim the babylonian number system).
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

trust

« Reply #1266 on: January 20, 2007, 09:00:42 am »

A = 92.5+
B = 85.5+
C = 76.5+
D = 69.5+
E = <69.5

That's the grading scale my city (and many others in America) utilize. It's been that way since elementary school.Some AP teachers will adjust their grading to accommodate a 10-point scale (90-100 is an A, etc.) but I've only had that happen to me once.

....Am I the only one that sees something slightly odd?  :-\

Currently my grade is a 97.12, it was 112 when I did extra credit stuff but then I was only getting 100's on assignment and it dropped to like a 102. She exempted me from two assignments which I was absent for (small ones...but they messed up my homework average) but never took away the 0's but I have no reason to complain because it won't affect me any.

Here is the breakdown:
Assignments (Weight 10%): 104.24 A average
Exam (Weight 10%): Exempt
Homework (Weight 10%): 60 E
Projects (25%): 98.33
Quizzes (10%): 120.40
Teacher Assessment (10%): 100
Tests (25%): 97.43

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #1267 on: January 20, 2007, 01:28:30 pm »

LOL.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: January 20, 2007, 03:16:29 pm »

Also, 91.5% is a B? 

You forgot one:
5) Crazed is an idiot and hence his personal opinions are totally without credibility.

Re: Joe.  70% at Cambridge or Oxford is considered much better than 90% at any American University.
90% at any major Canadian University (UBC, McGill, UofA, UofT, Queens, ...) is considered better (even by institutions like Caltech and Harvard) than 90% at *any* American university.  This isn't to say that the Canadian universities themselves are considered better, but it is an acknowledgment that they use a tougher grading system.  And, in general, the major Canadian universities are considered rather uniform in quality and "superior" to basically 95% of the American ones.

Edit:  Trust: Teacher Assessment??  Explain?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:22:01 pm by Rule »

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: January 20, 2007, 03:22:20 pm »
I'm going to guess it's something like participation points.  If you participate in the class and don't piss the teacher off, you get that 10% of your grade.  :-\
errr... something like that...

trust

« Reply #1270 on: January 20, 2007, 08:50:49 pm »

I don't know. I guess it's a way for her to reward students who don't sleep in class. I've had maybe 5 or 6 teachers that have done stuff like that, though my AP Lit teacher just gives everyone a 100.

trust

« Reply #1271 on: January 20, 2007, 09:59:07 pm »
My name's Trust, I go to a shitty school where I have to do little work and no exams.  When I enter the real world, I will be screwed.

Er... well, my name's not trust.  But if it was...

I may not like my school too much (mainly because of the students,) but I do disagree with it being a "shitty school"

We're on Newsweeks list of best high schools
Our school system was the Broad Prize Winner
Our school itself won some award because of our success with having '4 schools' within a school (Academy system)..this gave us a ton of money and we are able to upgrade technology much faster than all of the other schools.
We have the IB Program, which says alot right there.

And what do you mean no exams? I have exams...I just happened to be exempted from one and since we're in the middle of a mid-year project in AP Comparative Govt we're not having a midterm exam. I still have exams in my other 3 classes. When I enter the real world I'll be adequately prepared with my experience from the IB program, AP curriculum, and Hampden-Sydney collegiate education. In other words, I'll probably be your boss.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #1272 on: January 20, 2007, 10:10:51 pm »
Trust, I won't split your post since you kept a really cool temper, but note that I moved deadly's post to the trashcan.

trust

« Reply #1273 on: January 20, 2007, 10:21:20 pm »
Trust, I won't split your post since you kept a really cool temper, but note that I moved deadly's post to the trashcan.

word. yeah when I posted it I noticed his post was gone but then saw it under "unread" posts. oh well.

trust

« Reply #1274 on: January 21, 2007, 12:29:30 am »
My friend and I are going to the Hampton Roads International Auto Show tomorrow, and I want to get some pictures with the hot autoshow girls. The last time I went to an auto show I was young and with my grandpa, so I didn't attempt this. Do I just ask them or is there a proper etiquette I'm to follow/rules I need to obey? Maybe I should practice on the less attractive ones first.