Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762094 times)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #1275 on: January 21, 2007, 12:35:58 am »
Her treatment is hardly in favor of me, I just receive some rewards here and there for my work I do. At one point I had a 112 average in the class.
Seriously, since you did not get the contradiction in your statement, I will attempt to make it clearer.  She is giving you something good that she's not giving anyone else.  Now, if that's not preferrential treatment, I don't know what is.  Rather than test you to see if you actually learned anything in the course, she's basically saying, "This student was a good student; there's no reason to make him earn the A."

I'm sorry, but your denial of getting treated favorably just pissed me off.  Does it really matter? Not at all.  It's just I dealt with many unprofessional teachers and students just like you who received so much slack because the teacher liked them. Thankfully, I'm in college, and that kind of crap isn't happening.
errr... something like that...

trust

« Reply #1276 on: January 21, 2007, 12:45:50 am »
Sorry, but I'd have an A anyway and undoubtedly ace the final. It's regular level Psychology, it's nothing hard. (My school only has regular psych and IB psych, but you can't take IB psych if you dropped out of IB) I had the highest grade on the last test, I get A's on all of my assignments. Obviously I know the material. If I've gotten an A on every other test for the entire semester (see test average) what would make me do poorly now? Besides, even if I got like a 30 on the exam I'd still get an A in the class. It'd be a waste of time for me to go, instead I get to take that day off from school and have a 4 day weekend.

It's not preferential treatment, in my opinion anyway. I'm being rewarded for the effort I apply in the class and the fact that I have good character, especially compared to many of my classmates. I come into class I do my assigned work, and I do it at a pace that is far quicker than the other students. Every day when I finish my work, I ask for a pass to leave and I'm given it. I don't know what she does for the other students, but I can assume that if they did their work as I do mine they'd get breaks here and there. And as far as passes I'm sure anyone can get those, because oftentimes people ask for them and she tells them to do their work first or if they've been working hard she'll give them the pass. You guys blow everything out of proportion when I post something.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 21, 2007, 12:55:12 am »
She wrote on it and said "This note is for you and only you" and the note read "exempt from 5th bell exam." That class is so easy, I always rush to get my work done since I leave right after it and most days I'll leave class 20-30 minutes early and just go home. Oh and earlier this year she exempted me from the essay part of a test and nobody else.

She sounds like an awful and unprofessional teacher.  Just because you are doing well, (which is also suspect given her partial treatment towards you), doesn't mean that you should be evaluated differently than the rest of the class.

Also, 91.5% is a B? 

Her treatment is hardly in favor of me, I just receive some rewards here and there for my work I do. At one point I had a 112 average in the class.

And yes, 92.5% and up is an A, below that is a B.

For 92% to be considered a "second class" grade, that class must be extremely easy.  At most Canadian universities, 80% and above is an A, and at most British universities (e.g. Cambridge), 70% and above is the highest grade you can receive.  And it's hard to get 70% there.
1) Canada sucks, so that completely voids your "canada point"
2) That's england, they're all nuts
3) We're in America...nothing lines up with the rest of the world
4) it should be a 90%...but w/e

You forgot one:
5) Crazed is an idiot and hence his personal opinions are totally without credibility.

Re: Joe.  70% at Cambridge or Oxford is considered much better than 90% at any American University.
90% at any major Canadian University (UBC, McGill, UofA, UofT, Queens, ...) is considered better (even by institutions like Caltech and Harvard) than 90% at *any* American university.  This isn't to say that the Canadian universities themselves are considered better, but it is an acknowledgment that they use a tougher grading system.  And, in general, the major Canadian universities are considered rather uniform in quality and "superior" to basically 95% of the American ones.

Edit:  Trust: Teacher Assessment??  Explain?
My opinions are incredible?  (...does that makes sense)  Oh, good one there?  I guess your opinion of my opinion being wrong is right ::)

Also, do you have any information to back up your statement, or is that without credit (like my opinion::)

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 21, 2007, 01:09:44 am »
Sorry, but I'd have an A anyway and undoubtedly ace the final. It's regular level Psychology, it's nothing hard. (My school only has regular psych and IB psych, but you can't take IB psych if you dropped out of IB) I had the highest grade on the last test, I get A's on all of my assignments. Obviously I know the material. If I've gotten an A on every other test for the entire semester (see test average) what would make me do poorly now? . . .

. . . You guys blow everything out of proportion when I post something.
I'm sure you'd do fine on the exam, but you don't feel any need whatsoever to earn the grade?  You'd rather everything just be given to you.

And as for blowing things out of proportion, I have a personal problem with teachers cutting students breaks because the teacher likes the student.  And that other thing (drinking and hitting on the girl), you were acting like a prick and bragging about it.  That's why people had such a problem with it.

trust

« Reply #1279 on: January 21, 2007, 01:24:43 am »
I've already earned the grade by working hard for the past 5 months. It's human nature to provide preferential treatment to those you like over those you dislike. I happen to have good relationships with my teachers, and I'm often rewarded for such things. In English, I come in late nearly every day and nothing is ever said. She refers to me as "Mr. President"; I have the second highest grade in her class, though I hardly do any work. I also continue to outperform my peers on papers. Yesterday I turned in a paper 2 weeks late and when I handed it to her she said "You are a great man." I apologized for the lateness and explained my writers block. I doubt I'll lose points, and if I do I'm sure she'll be lenient. (Last year I always got points off for late work, but others didn't..btw) She knows I need to maintain my A to ensure acceptance into Hampden-Sydney, and I doubt she'll let me down (unless I completely bomb the exam...) She's a really knowledgeable and nice teacher, to everyone it seems. Though with her I do think I receive slight favorable treatment, but I also think she would do that to most everyone.

In contrast, in my world history class (freshman level) our teacher retired earlier this year. Her replacement is young and I haven't really built a good relationship with her yet. The other day she told me (after about a month) that if I continue to arrive late (something that was never reprimanded by my former teacher) then I will be written up. I had a good relationship with my former teacher (her son's 1st choice was HSC so that made for many conversations which led to her taking interest in me.) However now I do not have my "senior perks" with this teacher, even though I have an extremely high A. This proves my point about merit not being the only thing that matters.

Essentially my point is that, yes, partial treatment does occur in all aspects of life. Instead of wining about it, maybe get a better personality. I don't make any special effort to receive any perks that I get, it's just how I act day to day that makes my teachers like me. I don't ask for any of these 'perks' nor do I expect them. The same thing is happening with Hampden-Sydney right now. My transcript certainly shows that I'm under qualified for admissions, but I have the entire Admissions Office pulling for me and really wanting me at their school. I did this not through making excuses for my grades or anything, but through writing them letters and making good impressions in person. They see that my character and determination makes up for fooling around in my younger years. In fact, the other day I met an alumni at my HS's basketball game...and now he's making phone calls to the college pulling for me. It's all about how you interact with people, and if you can't take advantage of it then I'm sorry..but no matter how much you "earn" something you're still going to be beat out if you can't talk as well as the next guy, it just won't happen. Also I still hold my ground in that my psychology exemption is nothing more than a hard-earned reward.

And, alright, I'll concede that the new years thing was partly wrong. She thought it was cute though, apparently...so I worry not.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 01:34:03 am by OG Trust »

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: January 21, 2007, 01:53:17 am »
Most of my professors think I'm a good person and have a good personality; I show them the respect they deserve, and in turn, they show me respect. Even if I could get away with being late or not taking a test, I wouldn't take the opportunity anyway because I wouldn't feel right about it.  Perhaps it's just my upbringing, but I've always felt it disrespectful to show up late and dishonest not to do all the work in a class.

And all I'm doing is stating that I think your teachers are unprofessional.  They really aren't helping you by letting you skip exams, turn papers in late, and being tardy.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 21, 2007, 03:14:03 am »
And all I'm doing is stating that I think your teachers are unprofessional.  They really aren't helping you by letting you skip exams, turn papers in late, and being tardy.
Which is what I was saying, albeit in a sarcastic way.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

trust

« Reply #1282 on: January 21, 2007, 08:36:17 am »

I definitely understand what you're saying, and it's valid certainly - but it's how the world works so I might as well work with it rather than against it.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 21, 2007, 02:18:23 pm »
I definitely understand what you're saying, and it's valid certainly - but it's how the world works so I might as well work with it rather than against it.
Really, it's how high school works, not the world.  I guarantee you if I showed up late for work every day, I would be fired. If I didn't turn a paper in on time to meet a deadline, I would probably be fired.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 21, 2007, 02:32:02 pm »
Well, the world is unfair, and favouritism definitely exists in many facets outside of high-school.  But it shouldn't be a factor in determining what your grade is, whether you get exceptions made for you, etc. It is something that we should be trying to work against.  Just like it might be 'instinctual' in higher level academics to dismiss women as being valid candidates for various positions: it's not right, and we have to work against it.  The goal should be to make the system as fair as it can be.

I'm not bothered that you take advantage of favouritism, etc.  To be honest, how many people wouldn't?  The problem just seems particularly bad at your high-school, making things unfair for other students, and unfair for you in some cases when the teacher doesn't like you.  That's not what education should be about!  In the end, if you were hiring students, you would want the information on their transcript to strictly reflect their ability in those classes, not whether the teacher liked them, right?  If you need someone who has a deep understanding of calculus for the job, if the applicants don't know what they're doing but their teachers liked them, they'll be useless to you.

For example, at my university, many professors have the policy that homework assignments must be turned in at the beginning of the class it is due:  it won't even be accepted past about 5 minutes of the beginning of class; the solutions will be released. No late penalties, etc.  Now, most of my professors really like me.  But if I were to come to them even 2 hours after homework were due, I think they would feel really awkward and bad if I tried to make them give me an exception.  They'd want to give it to me but they would think it to be unethical unless I had a medical excuse or something like that.

re: Crazed.  I'm citing numbers, not making dumb generalizations splashed with major grammatical errors *cough*.  You can look up the information yourself or ask a college counselor, but most of the information I've used comes from my counselor through the College Board in Princeton.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 02:38:36 pm by Rule »

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: January 21, 2007, 02:57:21 pm »
And all I'm doing is stating that I think your teachers are unprofessional. They really aren't helping you by letting you skip exams, turn papers in late, and being tardy.

So you won't, by any chance, turn down the offer to skip the exam?  In my opinion, turning down the offer and just telling your teacher that you want to take the exam would be more reflective of the qualities of yours, of which you mentioned in a previous post (determined, hard-working, a likeable character, etc).

So what if you've "worked hard for the past 5 months"?  Not to be rude, but in the same way that you say that people who are on the receiving end of favorable treatment deserves it (I guess I'm looking at your particular case, and assuming that you as well as other people have earned it), rather than it being the case that you are the one that's "going with how the world works," couldn't it be the other way around, and you're actually working against it?

If it's the case that you are working against it, I'm permitted to say, "Oh, that 5 months of hard work is just going with how the world works, and I should keep it that way (meaning you take the exam and deny favorable treatment altogether) rather than disrupt it (thereby undermining your own belief on "how the world works", or I guess in this case, how it should be working).

But yeah, lately you've been coming off as extremely egotistical... and I guess from what I've read in your posts, you consider yourself to be more superior to your peers.  Where did the humble Trust go?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 03:07:40 pm by Explicit[nK] »
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: January 21, 2007, 05:06:49 pm »
re: Crazed.  I'm citing numbers, not making dumb generalizations splashed with major grammatical errors *cough*.  You can look up the information yourself or ask a college counselor, but most of the information I've used comes from my counselor through the College Board in Princeton.
In general, isnt it the responsibility of the person making the statement to prove that the statement is true?

And with that, what "major grammatical errors" did I make?

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 21, 2007, 05:12:43 pm »
In general, isnt it the responsibility of the person making the statement to prove that the statement is true?

No, this isn't a formal debate.  I'm giving an informed opinion about something specific and measurable, and I've given my source.  If you don't believe me, I don't care.  I have no motivation for making this stuff up.

trust

« Reply #1288 on: January 21, 2007, 05:31:34 pm »
So you won't, by any chance, turn down the offer to skip the exam?

No. I'm not going to come to school for two hours to take an exam I don't have to take when I am excused and allowed to stay home for the day - giving me a 4 day weekend.

But yeah, lately you've been coming off as extremely egotistical... and I guess from what I've read in your posts, you consider yourself to be more superior to your peers.  Where did the humble Trust go?

I've noticed the only people that have problems with what I say on here are people who haven't known me for a long time. I recall one time at Madz somebody complained that I was acting arrogant or something and Sidoh came to my defense by saying that's how I just normally am. His reply of course included more, but I forget the rest. I don't mean to come off that way though.

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 21, 2007, 10:34:16 pm »
So you won't, by any chance, turn down the offer to skip the exam?

No. I'm not going to come to school for two hours to take an exam I don't have to take when I am excused and allowed to stay home for the day - giving me a 4 day weekend.

That's fine... but like I said in my previous post: by taking the exam, you'd be living up to all of those qualities that you listed about yourself.  Otherwise, from my point of view, they just aren't there.

Hmm, for some reason, I'm under the impression that you're going to bring up your grades in other classes as well as your cumulative GPA on your transcript... but seeing as how you brought up this whole thing about you getting favorable treatment, it seems likely to me that you've also received favorable treatment from other teachers, too, so your transcript wouldn't be an accurate reflection of your efforts.

But yeah, lately you've been coming off as extremely egotistical... and I guess from what I've read in your posts, you consider yourself to be more superior to your peers. Where did the humble Trust go?

I've noticed the only people that have problems with what I say on here are people who haven't known me for a long time. I recall one time at Madz somebody complained that I was acting arrogant or something and Sidoh came to my defense by saying that's how I just normally am. His reply of course included more, but I forget the rest. I don't mean to come off that way though.

Even though I don't know you that well, I know enough about you to agree that it's not your intention to come off that way.  I think it's just the recent posts of yours that I've read... but eh.
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.