Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762138 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #1725 on: April 26, 2007, 12:50:03 am »
*highfive*

I'm apart of arts & sciences college ::)  govt major + law & society supplementary major + phil minor.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #1726 on: April 26, 2007, 01:03:39 am »
I'm in the College of Atmospheric & Geographic Sciences, it turns out its not as much fun as it really sounds. But I shall suck it up and kick its ass to get my degree.

Of course its not really that bad, mostly because I hold a pretty sweet job doing programmingish work. Nothing quite like sitting in a $600 chair in a $60+ million brand new building while getting paid $8/hour. It rocks.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #1727 on: April 26, 2007, 02:37:28 am »
I took chemistry last semester, currently getting assraped by physics this semester. Its loads of fun.

Which Physics?  I took Physics I last semester and thought it was really easy.  I'm in Physics II right now and it's still pretty easy, though it's more interesting...

trust

« Reply #1728 on: April 26, 2007, 06:32:23 am »
So we won our game yesterday 17-4. I scored once, but I didn't get to play that much because he played a lot of freshman. :(

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: April 26, 2007, 09:42:47 am »
I'm in the College of Atmospheric & Geographic Sciences, it turns out its not as much fun as it really sounds. But I shall suck it up and kick its ass to get my degree.

Of course its not really that bad, mostly because I hold a pretty sweet job doing programmingish work. Nothing quite like sitting in a $600 chair in a $60+ million brand new building while getting paid $8/hour. It rocks.
where are you again?...I forget.

you going back to los alamos to work after graduating w/upteen thousand phd's like everyone there has?

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #1730 on: April 26, 2007, 04:28:06 pm »
Which Physics?  I took Physics I last semester and thought it was really easy.  I'm in Physics II right now and it's still pretty easy, though it's more interesting...

Its Physics I, the concepts aren't hard but we have a really shitty teacher. He does a "So how many of you know about X math thing that isn't suppose to be taught in this course?" and then two hands go up, "Well look at that, so anyways heres X math thing that nobody gives two fucks about or understands, just for you know future reference." Basically, if he got his head out of his ass and would teach us instead of just bullshitting it then the course wouldn't be that bad.

Crazed: Nope. I'm done with New Mexico, fuck that shit. So much so that I've already made arrangements to spend the summer out here at the University of Oklahoma. Hopefully this will continue and my time in that state will be very limited.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: April 26, 2007, 05:34:59 pm »
aw:( poor us.

I like it here, I wouldn't mind retiring here someday

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #1732 on: April 29, 2007, 04:52:13 am »
Its Physics I, the concepts aren't hard but we have a really shitty teacher. He does a "So how many of you know about X math thing that isn't suppose to be taught in this course?" and then two hands go up, "Well look at that, so anyways heres X math thing that nobody gives two fucks about or understands, just for you know future reference." Basically, if he got his head out of his ass and would teach us instead of just bullshitting it then the course wouldn't be that bad.

Yeah, ours is pretty bad as well.  Aside from having a thick accent, he didn't use any of the technology available.  He didn't to much more than talk with his thick accent and write on the chalkboard.  I normally don't have a problem with that, but when the lecture has 300 people in it, it's difficult to make writing on a chalkboard readable from every angle.  The department owns a couple of tablet PC's that would be readily available and the lecture room is fitted with three projectors/screens.  There's also a digital camera to use in place of the overhead projector that he's very fond of as well as a plethora of preprepared demonstrations that he could use but doesn't.

I was told that he came out of retirement to teach.  I guess he's something like 70 years old, so he's a bit spacey sometimes.  He's normally a pretty nice and interesting guy, but I'd much prefer my physics professor from last year, who took advantage of nearly all of the technology available and normally had really interesting lectures.  Plus, he had his PhD from MIT!

I actually like it when teachers go off on those sorts of tangents, as long as they don't last long enough to disrupt the flow of the course.  My Calc professor does that a lot, but they're normally very interesting (though rarely useful for the course) and I really like it.  Most of my peers complain about it (and I did too for a while until I realized he was covering everything he was supposed to), but oh well...

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: April 30, 2007, 11:16:03 pm »
Plus, he had his PhD from MIT!

I don't think that fact alone is too impressive.  I have found most of the smarter profs have PhDs from universities I am unfamiliar with in countries outside of north america.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #1734 on: May 01, 2007, 12:34:49 am »
It was more of a triviality than an effort to convince anyone he was smart.  I am under the impression that he's smarter than the average professor... at this university, anyway.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: May 01, 2007, 08:23:08 pm »
"So how many of you know about X math thing that isn't suppose to be taught in this course?"

What is(are) the X math thing(s)?

I think it is somewhat likely that the most valuable things you will learn in first and second year will come through tangential comments like that.  The canned mainstream stuff that they push in freshman course syllabus' is readily available everywhere, not the subtle little things that are hard to look up, or hard to know to look up, that will later become essential to understanding things that may be taught in courses.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 08:25:28 pm by Rule »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: May 03, 2007, 04:38:30 pm »
Unfortunately, the term for a Las Cruces Magistrate judge is 4 years :(
That means since there were elections in 2006, that I can't maybe run in 2008, aw nuts.
...and 2010 is too far after graduation (maybe/probably) unless I get a job working from May 09-til Summer 2010...otherwise I should've applied for and entered law school by Fall 09.

Stupid Mag Court, they should have elections every 2 years.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: May 04, 2007, 09:55:30 am »
LAST DAY OF CLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...then 3 finals next week :(

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: May 06, 2007, 09:34:42 pm »
#  Steven *****, 20, **** Payne Court or **** Meadow, Las Cruces, is charged with arson, conspiracy to commit arson, non-residential burglary, conspiracy to commit non-residential burglary and criminal damage to property on Feb. 4.

# Jared *******, 22, **** Triviz, Apt. B, Las Cruces, is charged with arson, conspiracy to commit arson, non-residential burglary, conspiracy to commit non-residential burglary and criminal damage to property on Feb. 4.
:-\ :-X :-[
...2 dudes I know, went to school with Steven since elementary.

As I hear, they set fire to the women's sauna at the apartment they used to live (I speculate in 'revenge' of the ridiculous charges that they got when they moved out...in June-ish 05)

Indicted this past thursday for burnin it down on Feb 4.  Hung out with Steven Friday, and a few times before but after Feb 4.
Wow....just wow.  God I hope they were on coke/pot/alcohol.

trust

« Reply #1739 on: May 07, 2007, 01:51:35 am »
So I finally bought new ram. I haven't upgraded my computer since I built it (4 years ago almost) and still had 512mb. I just bought a gig to throw in there.

I also bought a new case since mine is old, missing the side, and has poor ventilation. It's SOO dusty. I'm afraid something is going to catch fire. I could have put that money towards a new video card (using a 9200se right now) but ehh.

I'm looking forward to the improvement though.