Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1768772 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #1965 on: June 14, 2007, 07:19:30 pm »
The bathrooms in most of the dormitories at my university are used by around 40 people. :-\

There are "suite style" rooms which have an adjoined bathroom which is shared with one other room, but I think I prefer the big bathrooms (other than the showering.  that part really sucks) because they're cleaned every day and you don't have to wait to use it as often.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: June 14, 2007, 07:26:54 pm »
whatever, porky. :)
Actually, my waist has gotten smaller.

And our dorms are 2 people to a SMALL room, 2 rooms connect to 1 bath room.
I would hate to ever live there.  Glad only girlfriends and friends have lived there and not me

trust

« Reply #1967 on: June 15, 2007, 05:05:51 pm »
I started my new job today. The guy I sail with introduced me to a guy he knows who needs crew for his boat (80 foot yacht, actually.) The guy is super rich (owned a chain of 48 gas stations/convenience stores and a few other things, he's very frugal though...he puts his car in neutral when going down hills to save gas and the captain warned us to not negotiate with him because he'll cheat us), and lives alone in this condo and is too old to fully run this thing himself. He has a captain that has run the boat for 15 years and came up last night from Florida to check on stuff and whatnot. Anyway so I got down there to get the lowdown on what the job will entail at about 9:30AM, and the captain explains for about an hour or so and asks me and the other 2 guys if we want to work today and we all agreed. Pretty much all I did today was work in the engine room (changing oil absorber sheets and stuff) and wash all the boat decks and such, and got paid $75. It's a little under the hourly rate that was agreed upon by me and the boats owner, but the captain just cut us all $75 checks so I really didn't say anything. It was decent for 7 hours of "work" which included briefing and him paying for our lunch at this local burrito bar which is so good (about $7.50 each.)

Another cool thing is the burrito bar I love going to anyway, and it's a block from the boat so I'll probably eat there a lot this summer. When you buy 7 burritos you get a free one, and I only had 2 on my card...thinking today will be my 3rd. Well the captain let me put all 4 on my card so now I'm only 1 away from a free one. =D

And the scheduling is for the most part very flexible, pretty much whenever I can work. The captain even offered to reschedule a boat trip this week to work around my schedule if I was unable to make it. Now there will be some instances where they'll need me and I'll have to come, but it's pretty fun work in something I like to do (even if it's mostly being a servent) and I'll learn a lot. Plus the owner of the boat is very well connected, for instance the captains wife got cancer and this guy was able to get like 3 doctors appointments for the next day for her.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: June 15, 2007, 06:56:39 pm »
I wish I had rich people around here I could work for...:(

trust

« Reply #1969 on: June 15, 2007, 07:07:21 pm »
I wish I had rich people around here I could work for...:(

The captain told us that the guy will be quick to take advantage of you though, that he's made his money by nickle and diming people, and those nickles and dimes could be yours and he has no conscious about it. Like when he looks at this one girls hours who polishes the brass or something, he's like "this boat is killing me" and she'll feel bad and knock off a couple of hours to save him money. He told us not to do that and to not negotiate with him because he'll win, to just write down our hours accurately (if you rip him off for even 50 cents he won't call back) and leave it with him and have him either cut you a check right there or mail you one.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: June 15, 2007, 09:57:55 pm »
Why mention "have him cut you a check right there" and seem all "otherwise you won't get paid" but also say "or have him mail you one"?

trust

« Reply #1971 on: June 16, 2007, 01:11:29 am »
Why mention "have him cut you a check right there" and seem all "otherwise you won't get paid" but also say "or have him mail you one"?

no he doesn't mean not get paid period, he means not get paid properly. If you say give him your hours written down he'll cut the check there, or you can leave your hours on his desk or something and tell him to mail it to you. The idea is to not negotiate with him.

trust

« Reply #1972 on: June 24, 2007, 01:14:39 pm »
lol I taught my dad how to play beer pong last night.  ;D

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: June 26, 2007, 02:36:42 pm »
MAELSTROM IS DOWN!

WHAT DO I DO

I'M BORED

!

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: June 26, 2007, 06:54:58 pm »
MAELSTROM IS DOWN!

WHAT DO I DO

I'M BORED

!
Get another hobby-- take drugs for example.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: June 26, 2007, 06:59:36 pm »
Why are there so many Asians in Vancouver?  ::)

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: June 26, 2007, 11:18:50 pm »
are they tourists?

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: June 26, 2007, 11:20:43 pm »
are they tourists?

I guess there are some, but apparently they make up like 30% of the population.  :o

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #1978 on: June 26, 2007, 11:24:45 pm »
What's wrong with that? :-\

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: June 26, 2007, 11:41:03 pm »
are they tourists?

Definitely not.