Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1761932 times)

trust

Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #3060 on: November 09, 2007, 11:51:20 am »
So my bestfriend from highschool has been sick so yesterday evening myself, my exgirlfriend, and her friend all went to visit him. I took him out for wings and then we saw American Gangster. I didn't get back to my school until about 3AM, didn't get to sleep until almost 6AM (ex stayed the night since I deemed her too tired to drive back) and I also had a philosophy reading to do. Then I had to get up at 8 to do my Spanish homework (I left my workbook in my dorm so couldn't do it on the ride) and then I had to be in class at 8:30. But now I'm done for the week and it's nice, but I'm tired for sure.

Oh, and a nifty aside: On the way to visit my friend we drove next to the Google maps car for awhile.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: November 09, 2007, 12:15:54 pm »
Oh, and a nifty aside: On the way to visit my friend we drove next to the Google maps car for awhile.
Did it try to organize you?
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: November 10, 2007, 11:32:58 am »
It wouldn't be a saturday if I wasn't at least a little hung over.

Trust, did you fuck your ex again?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3063 on: November 10, 2007, 04:15:26 pm »
I bought full synthetic motor oil the other day and thought of you.

Because animals are exploited to make motor oil????

Not animals specifically, but natural resources. Why use oil that can be used for better purposes (IE, burned for creating electricity) be used as a engine lubricant, when things that are just as good, yet not draining our natural resources, be used for only a few dollars more?

By the way, my dad yelled at me for spending a few dollars more of his money. :P
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3064 on: November 11, 2007, 12:15:00 am »
I'm sure the stuff that goes into synthetic motor oil can be used for other purposes as well. Not driving, however, is a huge step to helping the environment.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3065 on: November 11, 2007, 01:09:42 am »
You never said becomming a vegan was supposed to be hard. But, you know what would help the environment? Fixing my engine so it doesn't leak oil and I don't need to put in a quart a week. Yeah.. that might be a good idea.

Note that I didn't specifically say that I'm becomming a vegan -- steak is good! I just want to help the poor environment a bit.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3066 on: November 11, 2007, 01:27:24 am »
You never said becomming a vegan was supposed to be hard. But, you know what would help the environment? Fixing my engine so it doesn't leak oil and I don't need to put in a quart a week. Yeah.. that might be a good idea.

Note that I didn't specifically say that I'm becomming a vegan -- steak is good! I just want to help the poor environment a bit.

For the most part, I think the ethical justifications for becoming a vegan are other than saving the environment.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3067 on: November 11, 2007, 01:59:15 am »
Environment is a big part, though. But yeah, there are a lot of other reasons, too.

But having a car that leaks oil is extremely bad for the environment.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3068 on: November 11, 2007, 02:05:40 am »
Environment is a big part, though. But yeah, there are a lot of other reasons, too.

Can you list some reasons?  Maybe what I'm classifying the some of the benefits as something else.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3069 on: November 11, 2007, 02:44:03 am »
Maybe what I'm classifying the some of the benefits as something else.

Either you're too tired to be posting, or I'm too tired to be reading. What does that say?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3070 on: November 11, 2007, 02:53:47 am »

Either you're too tired to be posting, or I'm too tired to be reading. What does that say?

More likely I was distracted when I was writing it.

==> Maybe I'm classifying the benefits as something else.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: November 11, 2007, 02:55:45 am »
Being a vegan is bad for the environment. You're eating plants. Plants convert carbon dioxide to oxygen. Without plants, global warming occurs. You're killing us all iago.
errr... something like that...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3072 on: November 11, 2007, 11:11:30 am »

Can you list some reasons?  Maybe what I'm classifying the some of the benefits as something else.
Health is a big factor, people who eat more meat are apparently more likely to get certain kinds of cancers (colon, for one). Plus, meat has a lot of fat in it, which is healthier to live without. Plus, animals are fed a lot of different chemicals to make them grow more quickly, which isn't something that I really want to be eating.

Moral reasons, which basically boil down to utilitarianism. Do I get enough happiness out of eating an animal to justify its death? I decided that I don't. It doesn't seem right to me for an animal to lose its life just so I can have a meal that I don't even enjoy more than an equivalent meal without the animal.

And then environmental reasons. The meat industry is the biggest contributer to carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (very little of which is removed by plants used for farming, incidentally -- most of it is removed by forests, which are frequently destroyed by the meat industry :P).

It's also cool to change eating habits because I get to try a lot of new foods. :)

Those are the primary reasons. And incidentally, I'm not out to change anybody's mind. I'm only listing them because I was asked to. :P

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3073 on: November 11, 2007, 11:12:06 am »

More likely I was distracted when I was writing it.

==> Maybe I'm classifying the benefits as something else.
Or drunk! :P

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: November 11, 2007, 11:46:31 am »
I bought full synthetic motor oil the other day and thought of you.

Because animals are exploited to make motor oil????

Not animals specifically, but natural resources. Why use oil that can be used for better purposes (IE, burned for creating electricity) be used as a engine lubricant, when things that are just as good, yet not draining our natural resources, be used for only a few dollars more?

By the way, my dad yelled at me for spending a few dollars more of his money. :P

I'm sure you made a huge difference. In fact, I can almost see the sun poking out of the clouds today. Thanks!

Now let me go cause an oil spill, chop down a few trees, and skin a racoon alive.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling