Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762145 times)

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #3255 on: December 17, 2007, 11:58:59 am »
Whew.. that snowstorm that swept through the Great Lakes area Saturday/Sunday left me with a foot of snow and no school!

Yay for snow!
We had a nasty storm in MA on thursday... it took my mom almost 6 hours to make a 40 minute drive.. we only got like a foot but we were getting like 2 inches an hour or something ridiculous. On the news they kept showing people stopping in the middle of the highway to clear off their wipers, and everyone getting mad. It was funny.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: December 17, 2007, 12:05:42 pm »
There's been a wind storm for almost a day strait here.  Power was out on the other side of town (I'm in a small town, so that means about 4 blocks away) for most of the night.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: December 21, 2007, 02:09:42 pm »

awwwwwwww.

My cousin's kid (my 2nd cousin?) and his first Christmas.
Man this little guy is fat.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: December 21, 2007, 09:56:31 pm »
I think it's your first cousin, once removed......I really don't understand some genealogical terms...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3259 on: December 22, 2007, 11:13:27 am »
A system of degrees and removes is used to describe the relationship between the two cousins and the ancestor they have in common. The degree (first, second, third cousin, etc.) indicates the minimum number of generations separating either cousin from the nearest common ancestor; the remove (once removed, twice removed, etc.) indicates the number of generations, if any, separating the two cousins from each other.

For example, if persons A and B share a great grandparent as their nearest common ancestor, they are second cousins, because two generations (the parents and grandparents) separate each of them from the great grandparent.

If person A's great grandparent is person B's grandparent, then they are first cousins once removed, "first" because there is only one generation between B and his or her grandparent and "once removed" because there is a further generation between A and that same ancestor.

So, in this system, the child of one's aunt or uncle is one's first cousin. The child of one's first cousin is one's first cousin once removed.

I just woke up and that barely makes sense to me, but the last line seem to indicate that rabbit is correct.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: December 22, 2007, 01:05:53 pm »
According to that quote, here's a good way to figure this out:

Crazed only has to go two generations up whereas the baby has to go three generations up to find a common ancestor.  Therefore we take two, the minimum of these two numbers, to correspond to the degree number.  In this system, two = first degree, three = second degree, and so on. 

Crazed is separated from the baby by 1 generation: both he and the baby's father are of the same generation since their common ancestor is the same number of generations away for each of them.  So the baby is his first cousin, once removed.  The removed number can immediately be taken from the first calculation, as
removed = |generations to common ancestor for person A - generations to common ancestor for person B|.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3261 on: December 22, 2007, 01:07:31 pm »
... and that's why genealogists have to be math majors. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: December 22, 2007, 01:40:17 pm »

Crazed only has to go two generations up whereas the baby has to go three generations up to find a common ancestor.  Therefore we take two, the minimum of these two numbers, to correspond to the degree number.  In this system, two = first degree, three = second degree, and so on. 

Crazed is separated from the baby by 1 generation: both he and the baby's father are of the same generation since their common ancestor is the same number of generations away for each of them.  So the baby is his first cousin, once removed.  The removed number can immediately be taken from the first calculation, as
removed = |generations to common ancestor for person A - generations to common ancestor for person B|.

so if this little guy were to have kids that'd be my 2nd cousin, twice removed?

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: December 22, 2007, 02:58:05 pm »

1st cousin, twice removed.  You still only have 2 generations to go up to find the common ancestor (first cousin), but the baby's baby has 4 generations to go up (4-2 = 2, twice removed).

I think this is probably the clearest way of thinking about it:
Suppose we have Person A and Person B.  Person A has to go up x generations to find the common ancestor between A and B. Person B has to go up y generations to find the common ancestor between A and B.

Cousin number = min{x,y} - 1
Removed number = max{x,y} - min{x,y} = absolute value of x-y = |x-y|

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 03:08:39 pm by Rule »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: December 22, 2007, 03:20:11 pm »

1st cousin, twice removed.  You still only have 2 generations to go up to find the common ancestor (first cousin), but the baby's baby has 4 generations to go up (4-2 = 2, twice removed).

I think this is probably the clearest way of thinking about it:
Suppose we have Person A and Person B.  Person A has to go up x generations to find the common ancestor between A and B. Person B has to go up y generations to find the common ancestor between A and B.

Cousin number = min{x,y} - 1
Removed number = max{x,y} - min{x,y} = absolute value of x-y = |x-y|

Ok, common ancestor = grandma.
A=me
B=My Cousin (ian)
C=My counsin's kid (william)
D=The kid's kid (will #2, for now)

for A & B common ancestor = 2 generations away, so we're same generation and not removed = cousins
A & C= A is 2 generations away, C is 3 generations away, 3-2 = 1st cousin Once removed
A & D = A is 2 generations away, D is 4 generations away, 4-2 = ...

That's where i'd get lost, I'm not seeing how Cousin# could be anything less than 2 because the common ancestor(grandma) is 4 generations for Will#2 and 2 generations for me.  Unless common ancestor should be based on Cousin (ian).

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: December 22, 2007, 03:26:07 pm »
A & D = A is 2 generations away, D is 4 generations away, 4-2 = ...

Ok, so min{4,2} = 2.  min{4,2} - 1 = 2-1 = 1.  Therefore cousin number = 1, so it is a first cousin.
max{4,2} - min{4,2} = 4 - 2 = 2.  Therefore twice removed.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: December 22, 2007, 03:31:12 pm »
Shit, missed the "- 1", that's where I screwed up.  Cool.  Thanks!

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: December 23, 2007, 02:53:48 pm »
we made hot apple pie last night.   jesus.

gallon of apple cider, cinnamon sticks, cinnamon, applejuice, 1lbs of sugar....boil it all, add bottle of everclear.
tastes so good.  the alcohol taste was almost there, but after one small glass it was gone and intense.  wow

drank so little of it, have a gallon jug in the fridge now, oye

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3268 on: December 23, 2007, 03:15:53 pm »
we made hot apple pie last night.   jesus.

gallon of apple cider, cinnamon sticks, cinnamon, applejuice, 1lbs of sugar....boil it all, add bottle of everclear.
tastes so good.  the alcohol taste was almost there, but after one small glass it was gone and intense.  wow

drank so little of it, have a gallon jug in the fridge now, oye
I have to say, that's the weirdest apple pie I've ever heard of. You realize that you don't usually drink apple pie, right?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: December 23, 2007, 04:12:12 pm »
 :D

It was so freakin' tasty! Man alive.