Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762009 times)

trust

Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #3705 on: February 25, 2008, 05:55:16 pm »
I have taste. It probably has something to do with the way I was raised, and no real desire to get wasted and live my life like you.

That sucks. I'm surprised that yall purchase beers like that and not cheap domestic stuff. It has nothing to do with your socioeconomic background or how you were raised.

In response to Sidoh and iago: You have your entire life to work, college is when you get your degree and enjoy the last amount of fun you have until basically you retire. Guys I know with really touch course loads (26 hours or thereabout) still party on the weekends and sometimes during the week. Our school flunks a lot of people, possibly because of partying and not working I'm not sure, but the point is it is possible to balance both. I guess we have different priorities though. I do my work during the week, but on Friday and Saturday night I go out and have fun. Most likely I'll still be successful in life outside of college not only because of my education, my schools reputation, but mostly because of connections I've made. We have an amazing alumni network that I will probably tap into for pre-MBA experience. Beginning this summer I'm going to start working for my roommates parents, and if I continue to work there after graduation I'll start out at about $109,000/yr. That's a really good income, especially considering that due to the nature of the business my living expenses would also be paid for. I don't mean to insult your choices, and sure sometimes I wish I had the work and study ethics that people on these boards have. But I think you're placing to much value into the educational focus and not enough into social. Grades are important, but they aren't going to get you anywhere if you aren't constantly networking. It's not the grades you make, it's the hands you shake. It seems that the general view by many people on these boards is that if you spend your weekends partying that you are going nowhere in life, but it's very possible to make good grades as well as have a good time.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: February 25, 2008, 06:18:49 pm »
1/2 a day on the weekend of free time?

Fuck that, there is NOTHING worth spending that kind of time working on.  I need some sort of down time to develop social skills, relax, etc.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3707 on: February 25, 2008, 06:26:25 pm »
Guys I know with really touch course loads (26 hours or thereabout) still party on the weekends and sometimes during the week.

Credit hours don't mean much.  I've taken courses that are 4-5 credit hours that involve half the work of 2 credit hour classes.  People in math, science, engineering and technology almost always are more involved with their studies than people outside of those fields.  I don't mean to say the other fields aren't as important or anything of that nature, but that's the way it is.

Our school flunks a lot of people, possibly because of partying and not working I'm not sure, but the point is it is possible to balance both. I guess we have different priorities though. I do my work during the week, but on Friday and Saturday night I go out and have fun.

I don't mean to conclude that "fun" is out of the question if you're to be successful in college.  In fact, in small amounts, I think it's necessary to succeed.  Like you said, it's a balancing effort.  I have fun, but I devote the majority of my time and concentration to my studies.  It's partially because I want to do well in my classes, but most of the reason is because I'm an academic.  I find my courses fascinating and put way more effort into them than is necessary for a satisfactory grade.  As a result, I have a much better understanding of the material than my peers, with the exception of those who view the courses in the same way I do.

Most likely I'll still be successful in life outside of college not only because of my education, my schools reputation, but mostly because of connections I've made. We have an amazing alumni network that I will probably tap into for pre-MBA experience. Beginning this summer I'm going to start working for my roommates parents, and if I continue to work there after graduation I'll start out at about $109,000/yr. That's a really good income, especially considering that due to the nature of the business my living expenses would also be paid for.

It seems like you're defending yourself here.  I don't mean to say people who don't study hard in college can't be successful.  In fact, it's clearly the case that college itself isn't necessary to be successful.  Again, though, that really isn't my primary concern.  I'm almost certain that I'll be financially secure if and when I do enter industry.

I don't mean to insult your choices, and sure sometimes I wish I had the work and study ethics that people on these boards have. But I think you're placing to much value into the educational focus and not enough into social. Grades are important, but they aren't going to get you anywhere if you aren't constantly networking.

I don't take it as an insult that those who are less studious can have a high annual salary.  That doesn't bother me at all.  I agree that it's an important part of life, but it isn't what I care about most.  I want what I'm doing to be interesting.  I want even more for it to be intellectually challenging.  I don't want to have a job that doesn't require the use of my intelligence.

I agree that "networking" is important, but you seem to be making the faulty assumption that I don't have networking because I pour the amount of attention I do into homework.  My "network" might look much different than yours, but that's because I've earned the respect of the people who support me through my potential and intelligence, not through my charm and charisma.  I don't mean to say that you haven't established relationships with people on similar grounds, but I have no interest in being handed a job because someone I know has connections there.  I want to earn the position.

It's not the grades you make, it's the hands you shake. It seems that the general view by many people on these boards is that if you spend your weekends partying that you are going nowhere in life, but it's very possible to make good grades as well as have a good time.

I'm of the opinion that this is little more than a trite and prosaic remark that makes a hefty generalization of a complex situation.  It's certainly important that you know people, but I'll guarantee you that having an impressive resume and being able to do well in an interview is more important than having a brother in marketing for getting a job at the companies I'm interested in.

I don't think that's what was said.  That's not what I was trying to say, anyway.  I don't mean to make any of the following conclusions:
  Drinking and partying every weekend ==> Poor grades
  Drinking and partying every weekend ==> Lack of success later in life
  Doing well in college ==> No fun in college

What I do mean to conclude, though is this:
  * You don't need to drink to have fun.  You seem to be making the assertion that drinking has the intrinsic effect of enhancing fun, which I don't agree with.
  * In general, my studies are far more important to me than having fun.  I agree that it would be stupid to not have a fair amount of fun, but I'm not going to cast my homework aside to do something less productive.

Fuck that, there is NOTHING worth spending that kind of time working on.  I need some sort of down time to develop social skills, relax, etc.

You're probably the last person I would consult for academic, social -- actually, any type of advice.

That's an estimation.  It may be more, it may be less.  That's how much I had last weekend.

You seem to be making the refutable assertion that I don't have time to hang out with friends, "relax, etc."  I have plenty of time to do that.  You may not think so, but you don't have any say in the matter. :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: February 25, 2008, 08:41:27 pm »

You're probably the last person I would consult for academic, social -- actually, any type of advice.

That's an estimation.  It may be more, it may be less.  That's how much I had last weekend.

You seem to be making the refutable assertion that I don't have time to hang out with friends, "relax, etc."  I have plenty of time to do that.  You may not think so, but you don't have any say in the matter. :P

1/2 a day of free time isnt much time to have friends, at all.  I guess it'd be enough if your friend was named Rosie Palm :D!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3709 on: February 25, 2008, 08:49:03 pm »
1/2 a day of free time isnt much time to have friends, at all.

Again, you're making assumptions that just aren't true.

My weekends are busy because I have a lot of homework due early in the week.  I also tend to do assignments early so I have more free time later in the week.  I have more than half a day of free time per week.  I probably spend ~25-30 hours a week on homework.   There's plenty of time between that to do whatever I want.

My friends have similar schedules to mine.  A few of them like to get drunk, go to parties, etc, but none of them do it regularly.

trust

« Reply #3710 on: February 25, 2008, 08:55:57 pm »
Just an aside, since I'm pledging I'm required to be in study hall from 7pm-10pm from Sunday-Thursday, so I have plenty of time to get my homework done.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3711 on: February 25, 2008, 08:57:57 pm »
In response to Sidoh and iago: You have your entire life to work, college is when you get your degree and enjoy the last amount of fun you have until basically you retire.
I totally have to disagree with that.

First, I don't consider going out and drinking to be "fun", so at the very core I consider it inaccurate.

But besides that, I love my job. I'm doing exactly what I wanted to do, I have fun there, it's not overly stressful, I love the people/management there, and I'm doing what I enjoy. Also, I'm being paid a reasonable salary (not that that matters to me -- $40k/year is what I'd feel comfortable with, and I'm making considerably more than that).

In the evenings and weekends, I have fun, I go out, I see bands, I play games, I hang out with friends. Sure, I'm not wasted the whole time, but I have fun. I love my life, and I wouldn't change a thing.

I don't mean to insult your choices, and sure sometimes I wish I had the work and study ethics that people on these boards have. But I think you're placing to much value into the educational focus and not enough into social. Grades are important, but they aren't going to get you anywhere if you aren't constantly networking. It's not the grades you make, it's the hands you shake.
That, I totally agree with. Every job I've had since University, including my current one, has been because of people I've known. If I woke up without a job tomorrow, I can think of a half dozen places I could probably get another one, fairly easily. So yeah, I 100% agree that making contacts is extremely important.

At my school, I did that through the co-op program, where we got to do three terms (4 months each) of actual on the job experience (we even got paid!). It was a great experience, and that's where I learned the majority of what I know.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3712 on: February 25, 2008, 09:01:38 pm »
Depends on the school you go to and the load you take.

Yep, that's very true.  I know people who go here who have an abundance of free time because they take a few easy classes a semester.  I take the most challenging classes I feel I'm prepared for (allowing for graduation requirements) and work very hard in them.  I have free time, but it's not bountiful.  I usually have about half a day on the weekend I do with what I please, but I spend the rest of the time doing homework.  I have enough free time during the week to do leisurely things on the Internet, go to dinner and lunch with friends and maybe go watch a movie every now and then, but that's usually about it.

None of this bothers me, though, because my entire reason for being here is to learn.  Having fun is necessary in small amounts, but that's not why I came to college.
Newby: it also depends on the program. Comp sci at my university has/had a really nasty second year.

Sidoh: that's about where I was for most of my university life (except for second year).. I had enough free time to relax and enjoy myself, but I certainly didn't have a lot.

As for second year.. well, that's mostly a blur. Let's just say I skipped over my 20th birthday just so I'd have time to do homework. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3713 on: February 25, 2008, 09:03:07 pm »
Just an aside, since I'm pledging I'm required to be in study hall from 7pm-10pm from Sunday-Thursday, so I have plenty of time to get my homework done.

I almost always have more than 15 hours of homework a week.

trust

« Reply #3714 on: February 25, 2008, 09:24:06 pm »

I almost always have more than 15 hours of homework a week.

That sucks. I'm still only taking freshman courses though, so my homework is usually just reading and Spanish...at least this semester. Last semester I actually had more assignments, but I'm taking 3 less credit hours this semester.

iago, you can replace drinking with any other extracurricular hobby and it would be the same. If somebody spent all of their time playing XBox, sober, then their grades may or may not suffer the exact same as if they'd been drunk on the weekend. My hobby just happens to be partying on the weekends.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3715 on: February 25, 2008, 09:30:07 pm »
iago, you can replace drinking with any other extracurricular hobby and it would be the same. If somebody spent all of their time playing XBox, sober, then their grades may or may not suffer the exact same as if they'd been drunk on the weekend. My hobby just happens to be partying on the weekends.
True, but I reserve the right to consider drinking to be a lower form of entertainment than video games.

I'm not sure where I'd rate World of Warcraft, though. :)

trust

« Reply #3716 on: February 25, 2008, 09:31:30 pm »
True, but I reserve the right to consider drinking to be a lower form of entertainment than video games.

Maybe in the environment you're in. Here, it's fun to drink some go down to a party which usually will have a live band or at least good music going. Meet people, dance with girls, etc. It's a good time, at least for me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3717 on: February 25, 2008, 09:38:35 pm »
That sucks. I'm still only taking freshman courses though, so my homework is usually just reading and Spanish...at least this semester. Last semester I actually had more assignments, but I'm taking 3 less credit hours this semester.

Sometimes it's definitely bothersome.  I am double majoring in two pretty rigorous fields and I tend to take the harder classes within those fields.

Hm, I'd say just as bad or worse than drinking!  I quit a few weeks before my first semester.  That's probably why I've been able to do well in college, lol.

Maybe in the environment you're in. Here, it's fun to drink some go down to a party which usually will have a live band or at least good music going. Meet people, dance with girls, etc. It's a good time, at least for me.

It seems that all of those things are possible and, in fact, fun without the assistance of alcohol! :)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: February 25, 2008, 10:42:26 pm »

It seems that all of those things are possible and, in fact, fun without the assistance of alcohol! :)
[/quote]

Yes, that is true, but alcohol makes those things easier and more enjoyable (in moderation)

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: February 25, 2008, 11:00:32 pm »

Hm, I'd say just as bad or worse than drinking!  I quit a few weeks before my first semester.  That's probably why I've been able to do well in college, lol.
As my guild leader says whenever I tell him I have other stuff to do: grades before raids bro

Though some people definately have problems with that, it's not a big deal for me.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow