Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762145 times)

trust

Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #4710 on: June 02, 2008, 07:18:57 pm »
I didn't mean cigarettes. I'm just afraid I'll finish college, get a job, get married, have kids, etc. and then work until I retire. I won't get to see and do all of the things that I want to do that you can really only fully enjoy while young. I think I'm also just worried because I don't know exactly what I want to do.

But at the same time, if I drop out (or take time off) I probably won't be successful in the long term. So basically I can be miserable now or be miserable later. Most likely I'll choose to finish school and then move some place tropical or to a big city for my 20's, as kind of a compromise. I'll be graduating when I'm 21 so I'll still be pretty young.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4711 on: June 02, 2008, 07:36:52 pm »
Definitely a tough question. I've always personally been in favour of hard work up front to get pleasure down the road.

On the other hand, in retrospect, I sort of envy people who people who do something that they enjoy instead of going to school. You can often get further (at least, in some fields) without school, if you're good at what you do. Most of my co-workers never went to post-secondary school, but at the same time I wouldn't have my job without my degree.

*shrug* like I said, it's a tough question. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: June 02, 2008, 08:06:18 pm »
A) Trust, don't be a fool, stay in school.  How many people do you know that are ground-up-successful that quit college?  I'd bet not as many as the number of people that are successful with college degrees.  It opens a lot of doors.
B) iago, I don't think he is addicted to cigarettes ... I'd guess that he is referring to pot.

trust

« Reply #4713 on: June 02, 2008, 08:38:03 pm »
The only thing I would miss out on by leaving school are the connections, particularly since my school has a very close-knit alumni connection that provides many jobs right when leaving school simply because you graduated from the school. At the same time, I could make even better connections where I moved to, or I could end up being a bum...it's definitely a gamble. It's also a gamble I probably won't take. Maybe I'll try it out next summer or something, but I doubt I'll be able to convince a friend to quit school with me and I wouldn't be able to do it alone (mainly because of rent).

yeah pot but I'm not addicted to it but i smoked a lot while i was at the beach over the weekend (really relaxing) and am just kind of in that happy state where I'm not really concerned about 10 years from now.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: June 02, 2008, 09:12:24 pm »
I didn't mean cigarettes. I'm just afraid I'll finish college, get a job, get married, have kids, etc. and then work until I retire. I won't get to see and do all of the things that I want to do that you can really only fully enjoy while young. I think I'm also just worried because I don't know exactly what I want to do.

But at the same time, if I drop out (or take time off) I probably won't be successful in the long term. So basically I can be miserable now or be miserable later. Most likely I'll choose to finish school and then move some place tropical or to a big city for my 20's, as kind of a compromise. I'll be graduating when I'm 21 so I'll still be pretty young.

I think it's the opposite for me.  I can't wait to finish college, get a job, get married, have kids, etc. then work until I retire.  In fact, if I'm not married by the time I'm 40, I'm probably going to be seriously contemplating killing myself just because it's better to be dead than to let my loneliness consume me.  At the end of the day, I think what matters the most to me is raising a family.  Sure, it would be nice to live carefree, do everything I could ever want in life while I'm young, but to me that's all superficial compared to raising a family and through them creating my mark on the future... years after I'm dead... is much more significant in my eyes.  However, I'm going to need some financial backing to raise a family in the 21st century, so if I have to sacrifice some of my joy while I'm young to make sure my future family can live a decent life (shooting for at least upper middle class :P) then so be it.

Seriously, this is the only thing that's keeping me from making a final decision on whether or not to go straight to grad school after I graduate next year.  I fear not that my years of youth are running out and I won't be able to do all the cool things in life, but that by the time I start looking to settle down, it'll be too late- all the Ms. Rights out there will be Mrs. Rights.

Yeah, I have strange fears.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 09:27:29 pm by Michael »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

trust

« Reply #4715 on: June 02, 2008, 09:44:39 pm »
There will always be women, however you will not always have your youth. I want to marry around 30, so that way I've experienced enough before then to satisfy myself (hopefully), then I can travel with my wife and experience the joys of marriage for a while, then I can start raising a family and enjoy raising children. My fear is not experiencing enough stuff before I die, and I want to experience each stage to the fullest.

What will most likely happen is I will finish my 4 year then move to a place like the Florida Keys for a few years, then go to business school in a big city then raise a family somewhere in a quiet southern suburb.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: June 02, 2008, 09:53:28 pm »
Yeah, I'm not sure what kind of career you plan on, but to me it doesn't seem practical to plan out where you're going to live.  I'd think most would go where ever they can find a good job... I guess my outlook on the job market is a bit pessimistic though.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

trust

« Reply #4717 on: June 02, 2008, 10:13:51 pm »
I'm really concerned about living life while I'm young, because I don't know how much time I have left to live. A year and two days ago a girl I knew (along with her boyfriend and friend) were killed in a car accident. I didn't know her well, but she lived about a block away from me and I had a class with her as a freshman (she was a year older than me). Anyway, I took her death pretty hard last year and the anniversary of it I guess is just bringing those feelings back to the surface. It just reminds me that we can die at any moment doing normal everyday things. (They were on their way to West Virginia and were hit by a tractor trailer. It didn't appear as if they had done anything wrong and alcohol/drugs were not involved.)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4718 on: June 02, 2008, 10:32:07 pm »
I feel your pain Trust.  I wonder a lot how much I'm missing out on life by having my priorities arranged how I do.  I'm much less keen to try "new and exciting" things than most and what I'm already comfortable with isn't considered all that exciting by the majority of people.  I guess I'm more concerned with my future, which is what motivates me to be so conservative and studious.  I try to stay out of illegal activities and keep my grades up so I can get a good job and get into a good grad school.  I spend a ton of time on my schoolwork, but I'm fortunate that I love what I'm doing.  I'm doing a software engineering job this summer and I'm loving it.

Anyway, hope you figure it out, Trust.  I'm sure I don't need to say it, but I think you should stay in school.  It seems like you'd be kicking yourself in the future if you can't get a good job because you don't have a degree.  I know you say you plan to go back and get a degree no matter what, but I've heard from so many people that it's REALLY hard to go back to school and get into the swing of things again once you've left indefinitely.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: June 03, 2008, 12:45:43 am »
fuck that shit

drop out
fuck bitches
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: June 03, 2008, 10:19:53 am »
But at his school  you meet hot bitches with their daddy's money.  STAY IN SCHOOL!

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Thoughts?
« Reply #4721 on: June 03, 2008, 05:30:05 pm »
Chain of events:

Friday:  Talkin to friend, she says she goes back to school on Friday to move into her new house and start summer school.  She suggests we hang out because she misses me.  Exact words: her: "I leave Friday, we should do something" me: *Random small talk* her:"So do you want to hang out before I leave?  I miss seeing my Tyler!"

Monday:  I ask her what sounds good, figuring we'll all (her, me, friends) go where ever.  We decide on Texas Roadhouse.

Today:  I ask if she has anyone going so I can call ahead.  She replies: "Just you and me :)!"

Question:
Should I take this as a "hey, I miss you.  You and I should go out." or a "Hey, I miss you guys.  We should all hang out."  I'm thinkin the first one could mean a little summin-summin.  She's a really fun girl, maybe have fun with her over the summer and all.  I'll be going up there this fall/summer to check out the law school there and all.  Maybe take a course for Oct's LSAT.

trust

« Reply #4722 on: June 03, 2008, 06:35:13 pm »
But at his school  you meet hot bitches with their daddy's money.  STAY IN SCHOOL!

That's true but they're bitches.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Thoughts?
« Reply #4723 on: June 03, 2008, 06:45:19 pm »
Question:
Should I take this as a "hey, I miss you.  You and I should go out." or a "Hey, I miss you guys.  We should all hang out."  I'm thinkin the first one could mean a little summin-summin.  She's a really fun girl, maybe have fun with her over the summer and all.  I'll be going up there this fall/summer to check out the law school there and all.  Maybe take a course for Oct's LSAT.
There are a couple different girls that I go for lunch with alone, but we both know it doesn't mean anything. We just go as friends. Perhaps that's all she wants?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts?
« Reply #4724 on: June 03, 2008, 08:02:50 pm »
Question:
There are a couple different girls that I go for lunch with alone, but we both know it doesn't mean anything. We just go as friends. Perhaps that's all she wants?

That's my figuring.  My hoping, on the other hand, is reading everything at face value "I miss you" "Just you and I:)! [for dinner]".  Eh well.  I'll go out to dinner, have a good steak, buy her dinner, come home and play poker with folks and see if she wants to join.