Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1770454 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #6315 on: October 15, 2008, 05:39:58 pm »
That's not something to brag about ::) Sleep is more correlated with work habits than it is inversely with amount of work.
More like, sleep is correlated with me never actually being home TO sleep. 7am-11pm every day I'm at school/commuting to/from school.. and then come home and dinner, hwk, etc etc.

You come home at 11pm? WTF? If that's like, literally true, and not exaggerated, then you've made a very bad schedule for yourself :(

Yeah, I agree.  I'm only at class from 9-3 on MWF, 10-2 on TR.  I usually come home right after class and work on homework for a while.  I usually have enough time to relax and do what I want for a few hours a day and that's absolutely necessary for me to keep my morale up.  This is definitely the busiest semester I've had, too.  I neglect the majority of the reading assignments I get, which cuts down significantly on the amount of time I need to spend doing schoolwork, but the assignments I get are massively more challenging than the ones I've gotten in previous semesters, which felt more like busywork than something that actually extended my understanding of the subject.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: October 15, 2008, 05:42:21 pm »
I have watch from 2300-2400 tonight, and I have to be up around 515 again. So... 5 hours of sleep tonight, yay? Holy shit, I'll need coffee or SOMETHING lol
I would KILL for 5 hours of sleep in a night, don't complain. :p

That's not something to brag about ::) Sleep is more correlated with work habits than it is inversely with amount of work.
Nonsense.

It's true. At the school I go to, everyone gets a lot of work, but I've found that the people with more work often get more sleep. It's all about work habits. If you spend a lot of time surfing the web, etc., and do it while you do homework, then you 1) waste time in which you could be doing homework and 2) do homework ineffectively when you're doing the two simultaneously.

Also, if you get like less than four hours sleep one day, you will be screwing yourself the next day. You will probably binge on chilling and napping or sleeping the next day, and also you won't be able to do your work very fast and efficiently.

It's always best to socialize in school and not the internet because in school you're not doing work there anyways (like at lunch or in between classes) so you can get your social needs out when you wouldn't be doing work. In other words you're not wasting productive time. But if you socialize on the internet then you are wasting productive time.

It's an extremely healthy work habit to put real life in a clear first place, and with a wide margin, ahead of the internet (forums, video games, etc.) In fact, athletes and people who work out often make very good students when they're intellectually inclined.

(These comments are not directed at anyone in particular, just general statements.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:46:15 pm by Ender »

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: October 15, 2008, 10:14:30 pm »
You come home at 11pm? WTF? If that's like, literally true, and not exaggerated, then you've made a very bad schedule for yourself :(
Yeah, my average home arrival time spans anywhere from 10:30-11PM. My schedule has huge gaps in it every day, and then I have night classes/night labs and I do public transport. So, like I said, I envy the guy that gets more than 5 hours of sleep a night. I'm barely even home 5 hours in a day.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: October 15, 2008, 10:31:09 pm »
Yeah, my average home arrival time spans anywhere from 10:30-11PM. My schedule has huge gaps in it every day, and then I have night classes/night labs and I do public transport. So, like I said, I envy the guy that gets more than 5 hours of sleep a night. I'm barely even home 5 hours in a day.

That's not good, not at all. So you're saying you're not even home 5 hours a day... that means that technically (i.e. mathematically) speaking it's impossible for you to get more than 5 hours of sleep in your own bed, every weekday? Your parents let you do that? You should reconsider your schedule. Cut the night classes and night labs. Get home earlier. If it means you won't graduate from some program at your university, who cares. You have plenty of time to go to college.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: October 15, 2008, 10:40:10 pm »
That's not good, not at all. So you're saying you're not even home 5 hours a day... that means that technically (i.e. mathematically) speaking it's impossible for you to get more than 5 hours of sleep in your own bed, every weekday? Your parents let you do that? You should reconsider your schedule. Cut the night classes and night labs. Get home earlier. If it means you won't graduate from some program at your university, who cares. You have plenty of time to go to college.
Well, I might be home 5 hours a day (1AM to 6AM, for example), but that doesn't mean that I'm in bed during those times.. And yeah, my parents don't have a choice. Nor do I. The majority of why I have such a fucked up schedule is because of my required courses to graduate HIGH school. There's no way in HELL I'm going back to high school after having had college, so that's not even a viable option anymore. And I actually like not being home.. Less dealing with my parents that way. :D
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6320 on: October 15, 2008, 10:42:29 pm »
I bought a v-cube 7 today.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6321 on: October 15, 2008, 10:58:46 pm »
Well, I might be home 5 hours a day (1AM to 6AM, for example), but that doesn't mean that I'm in bed during those times.. And yeah, my parents don't have a choice. Nor do I. The majority of why I have such a fucked up schedule is because of my required courses to graduate HIGH school. There's no way in HELL I'm going back to high school after having had college, so that's not even a viable option anymore. And I actually like not being home.. Less dealing with my parents that way. :D

Yeah, I suppose your circumstances are considerably different. :)

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: October 15, 2008, 11:09:54 pm »
wow the presidential debate tonight was soooooooo boring

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6323 on: October 15, 2008, 11:43:15 pm »
I bought a v-cube 7 today.  :)
That's what SHE said!

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: October 16, 2008, 11:08:53 pm »
Really stupid question: how so?

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6325 on: October 16, 2008, 11:12:25 pm »

The majority of why I have such a fucked up schedule is because of my required courses to graduate HIGH school.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: October 17, 2008, 01:00:54 am »
High school isn't that bad. I mean, I wanted to be homeschooled since 9th grade, but still, AP classes can be legitimate. Like once you start reading primary sources in history, you know you're taking your first real history class.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: October 17, 2008, 01:02:22 am »

The majority of why I have such a fucked up schedule is because of my required courses to graduate HIGH school.
Touche.

High school isn't that bad. I mean, I wanted to be homeschooled since 9th grade, but still, AP classes can be legitimate. Like once you start reading primary sources in history, you know you're taking your first real history class.
High school blows compared to college. You seriously can't think that I'd want to go back after having had over a year of university classes, can you?

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: October 17, 2008, 01:05:16 am »
High school blows compared to college. You seriously can't think that I'd want to go back after having had over a year of university classes, can you?

College is definitely way better, but high school isn't a steaming pile of shit like you make it out to be. No offense, but I think you're being elitist.

If I were in your position, and I had to choose between your schedule or high school, I'd choose high school without a moment's hesitation. I wouldn't resign myself to that kind of relentless sleep deprivation for university classes, when I'd be taking them a year or two later anyways. I often go nights where I don't get a lot of sleep, and sometimes I get none at all, but it's not like a 5-day-a-week 30-weeks-a-year kind of thing. Also, high school affords a pretty good social life.

Ironically, it seems like your atheism is taking you full circle back to Christian morality and the ascetic ideal.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 01:19:50 am by Ender »

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: October 17, 2008, 01:35:23 am »
ahahahaha crazy asians

every single class had a boys dance centered around break dancing