Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762127 times)

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #6720 on: November 19, 2008, 11:51:47 am »
I'm confused. Could anyone tell me what this white stuff I see falling is?

Your not the only one with snow :(
i wished it snowed in san diego i am tired of the same sunny weather.
Holy shit. It is too cold here now. The high is in the 30s today :(, with 15-25mph wind.

17ยบ Here :P
70* here :( same old shit

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: November 19, 2008, 12:09:35 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's an A-, but I haven't asked the teacher yet. Oh well. Just gonna strive for that 92.75%. :P

Warrior: yes, I am bummed out. I'm expecting nothing higher than a B+ in physics, making my GPA: (4.0 + 3.667 + 3.333)/3 (two of my classes = P/NP) = ~3.667 this first quarter. That's abysmal, since it's nearly all introductory courses and they're all going to get much harder.

I wouldn't fret too much.  Getting used to college took me a few semesters.  After that, I knew which study habits helped me out, which were a waste of time, and how to approach assignments and exams.

And how to get laid!

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: November 19, 2008, 04:30:42 pm »
Lol, today the seniors found out what they were going to service select (do when they graduate), so anyone who is going marines we shaved their head and anyone who is going SEALs or EOD we shaved their head + eyebrows :P. It was pretty fun tackling one of them.

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: November 19, 2008, 04:51:05 pm »
Usually 90-92 is an A-, 93-97 is an A, so if you get a 92.75 it should round up to a 93. Talk to your professor though, they will help you out if you need an extra point for a higher letter grade.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: November 19, 2008, 05:02:34 pm »
I also forgot that the final grade in the class is curved, so I *might* still have a chance at an A, even if I don't get 100% on the final.

I guess I'll see. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6725 on: November 19, 2008, 06:03:27 pm »
I also forgot that the final grade in the class is curved, so I *might* still have a chance at an A, even if I don't get 100% on the final.

How are you doing relative to your classmates?  I remember being disappointed with an 88% on one of the midterms in Calc 2, but it turned out that the mean was 55% or something, so it turned out that it was easily an A.  They didn't curve the final grade, but I'd imagine if you consistently do better than your classmates on exams, homework, quizzes, etc, you'll have an A (I suppose this is obvious. :))

Usually 90-92 is an A-, 93-97 is an A, so if you get a 92.75 it should round up to a 93. Talk to your professor though, they will help you out if you need an extra point for a higher letter grade.

I've never had a class where this is the case.  In most of them, an A- is in the high 80s.

Also, in huge classes like intro calc, it's unlikely that they'll make special exceptions.  At this university, they have over 1500 students a semester taking Calc 1, and about 700 or so taking Calc 2, so it'd easily cause an administrative nightmare to allow for exceptions.  I think UC Davis is probably pretty close to the size of my university.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 06:08:08 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: November 19, 2008, 08:31:07 pm »
I go to UT Dallas, so we follow the UT system of grading.

If high 80s is an A-, which is 3.67. Then anything 90 and above is an A/A+ (4.0)? Then there is no point in aiming for anything higher than 90.
As for exceptions, you might be right, but you never know if you don't try. I mean if you end up at say 92.3, borderline between an A- and an A, wouldn't you want to try and see if its possible to get it bumped a little? If it works out you'll end up having an A, if not, you still get an A-. Might as well give it a shot.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: November 19, 2008, 09:34:06 pm »

How are you doing relative to your classmates?  I remember being disappointed with an 88% on one of the midterms in Calc 2, but it turned out that the mean was 55% or something, so it turned out that it was easily an A.  They didn't curve the final grade, but I'd imagine if you consistently do better than your classmates on exams, homework, quizzes, etc, you'll have an A (I suppose this is obvious. :))

I got a 93%, was 9th in the class, and the class average was (apparently) a 78%.

But I was below the class average by 3% last time, so eh?
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6728 on: November 19, 2008, 09:36:56 pm »
If high 80s is an A-, which is 3.67. Then anything 90 and above is an A/A+ (4.0)? Then there is no point in aiming for anything higher than 90.

What you claim may be true in general, but it does not prevent the instructors from scaling the difficulty material appropriately to get a distribution that looks just like the one you're supporting.

I got a 93%, was 9th in the class, and the class average was (apparently) a 78%.

But I was below the class average by 3% last time, so eh?

On the exam?  I'm sure you'll be fine.

Even if you do end up getting a B/A-, you're still in very good shape.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: November 19, 2008, 09:44:41 pm »
Newby, you're retarded. Stop stressing so much over these classes. Just because they're introductory classes doesn't mean you should ace them, and if you don't it doesn't mean you're a failure. It takes some time to get used to the entire package of moving away and going to school, so it's nothing to worry about. Plus, I know you. You're a lazy bastard. You are not putting forth your entire effort into school right now.. therefore you deserve the grade you get. Trust me, you'll put forth more effort when you have more difficult classes.

Relax.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6730 on: November 20, 2008, 01:53:40 am »
Newby, you're retarded. Stop stressing so much over these classes. Just because they're introductory classes doesn't mean you should ace them, and if you don't it doesn't mean you're a failure. It takes some time to get used to the entire package of moving away and going to school, so it's nothing to worry about. Plus, I know you. You're a lazy bastard. You are not putting forth your entire effort into school right now.. therefore you deserve the grade you get. Trust me, you'll put forth more effort when you have more difficult classes.

Relax.

Well said.

I think it can all be summed up in getting used to college, though.  Laziness can be attributed to not knowing good study habits yet, etc.

Newby, like Quik says, once you hit the harder classes, I'm sure you'll be way ahead of the curve.

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: November 20, 2008, 03:06:13 am »
Newby, like Quik says, once you hit the harder classes, I'm sure you'll be way ahead of the curve.
I doubt it. Newby's GPA to going to top out at 3.67 after four years, and he won't be able to get into the graduate school hes interested in. Total fail.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: November 20, 2008, 04:08:06 am »
FUCK YOU TOPAZ.

Am I an alcoholic if I drink on a Wednesday? And after ~7-8 beers am sober? :/

Not that I'm upset about being sober. But rather, I'm drinking on a Wednesday. I have no class tomorrow, have very little homework tomorrow, but something feels wrong about it.

And by tomorrow, I mean Thursday, which is today.
- Newby

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #6733 on: November 20, 2008, 08:45:30 am »
Lol, today the seniors found out what they were going to service select (do when they graduate), so anyone who is going marines we shaved their head and anyone who is going SEALs or EOD we shaved their head + eyebrows :P. It was pretty fun tackling one of them.

USNA trains marines now? Oh, ok.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: November 20, 2008, 10:05:43 am »

USNA trains marines now? Oh, ok.

There is no Marine Academy. Marines are a branch of the Navy, in a way. The Secretary of the Navy is in control of both the Marine Corps and the Navy