Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1761934 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #7905 on: June 20, 2009, 12:34:47 am »
Fear them!

OMG... WITH NOISE...

and, yes it's 3D...

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:49:50 am by warz »
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: June 20, 2009, 01:36:11 am »
There was pretentious student from LSU

LSU?

I'm sure I can google or wiki it, but I've never heard of it.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #7907 on: June 20, 2009, 01:41:49 am »
You've never heard of LSU? Where are you living... under a rock? If you're not in the US, fine... but if you're in the US and don't know what LSU is... you've got issuez BRO. Not to mention he gave you the ultimate clue by saying 'student'. I do not like LSU, btw.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #7908 on: June 20, 2009, 01:42:43 am »
You've never heard of LSU? Where are you living... under a rock? If you're not in the US, fine... but if you're in the US and don't know what LSU is... you've got issue BRO. I do not like LSU, btw.

I think Rule lives in Canada?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7909 on: June 20, 2009, 02:18:42 am »
You've never heard of LSU? Where are you living... under a rock? If you're not in the US, fine... but if you're in the US and don't know what LSU is... you've got issue BRO. I do not like LSU, btw.

I think Rule lives in Canada?

He does.

And so do I, and I've never heard of LSU either.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: June 20, 2009, 02:30:21 am »
There was pretentious student from LSU

LSU?

I'm sure I can google or wiki it, but I've never heard of it.

Louisiana State University.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #7911 on: June 20, 2009, 10:37:13 am »
all canadians live under rocks

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: June 20, 2009, 12:09:37 pm »
My point being that it's obviously not a high profile university... I'm probably familiar with about 40 colleges in the US, and LSU isn't one of them.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #7913 on: June 20, 2009, 12:35:49 pm »
Academically maybe not, but they are one of the biggest names in College sports.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #7914 on: June 20, 2009, 02:56:19 pm »
My point being that it's obviously not a high profile university... I'm probably familiar with about 40 colleges in the US, and LSU isn't one of them.

They are a high profile university.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: June 20, 2009, 05:03:04 pm »
Forgot to bring fresh underwear for a 2 week tour. :-[
At least you can buy some along the way.. I went to the cottage once in the same situation. No stores for 50 miles, and lots of outdoor activities.

Woo!

I considered that, but decided to use this as an excuse for something I've always wanted to try: freeballing
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7916 on: June 20, 2009, 08:48:59 pm »
So looks like I'm meeting Sidoh IRL tomorrow for a trip to DC/National Air and Space Museum.

that was fun!  Pics to come soon.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #7917 on: June 20, 2009, 08:59:02 pm »
So looks like I'm meeting Sidoh IRL tomorrow for a trip to DC/National Air and Space Museum.

that was fun!  Pics to come soon.

The trick is to say "tomorrow".  That way, you never actually follow through!  :)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #7918 on: June 20, 2009, 09:00:09 pm »
Warz, can we get a video of this game?  I'm not following what the red lines represent.  The path taken by the tank?  Also, add collision right away, tanks in tanks in tanks look weird.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #7919 on: June 20, 2009, 11:26:15 pm »
Warz, can we get a video of this game?  I'm not following what the red lines represent.  The path taken by the tank?  Also, add collision right away, tanks in tanks in tanks look weird.

I tried recording one with Fraps and uploading it to youtube, but youtube said something about it not being able to encode my video. If anyone knows how to upload a fraps video to youtube then I can do that.

The tanks are just temporary models. I should probably use cones or something instead, so people don't get confused. I haven't picked a theme for my game, yet, but it's going to be a large-scale tower defense. The maps are large, although you can't tell it there because I've got the models drawing at about 500% of the size that they will eventually be. My goal is to basically allow the user to zoom in and out so they can micromanage the entire strategy or smaller parts of it, and sort of require the user to focus attention on different parts of the terrain. Sort of blending tower defense and RTS, I guess.

In those screenshots, the red line represents the least-cost path from point A (some random point on the map) to point B (the origin, 0). The paths will not be visible in the final version. The paths are calculated using the A* search algorithm. The first screen shot shows the algorithm with a generic euclidean distance heuristic equation. The second screen shot is using the same euclidean equation, but with some generated noise - that's why the lines are a little more random. The third screenshot is just using a different, free roaming camera class.

I'll probably be moving onto collision detection relatively soon. I'm most likely going to do something along the lines of making each enemy unit have a "positive charge" so they repel each other if they're too close. Before I add collision detection, though, I have to add the ability to place towers. Then, once I have towers, I'll make them fire at the closest, living enemy. That's when I'll need collision detection, at a generic level, for detecting bullet collisions.