Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762125 times)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #8175 on: September 17, 2009, 06:09:33 pm »
I went because the tests were given with 1-day notice.  Of course, I also got back at my 1st-semester roomate by accidently failing to tell him when those days were. That made it all worth while.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8176 on: September 17, 2009, 06:15:05 pm »
I went because the tests were given with 1-day notice.  Of course, I also got back at my 1st-semester roomate by accidently failing to tell him when those days were. That made it all worth while.
You should have went every other day. Either you find out about a test the next day, or you find out about a test THAT day. :)

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: September 17, 2009, 06:40:55 pm »
For the past hour my professor has been going through the code for a project we are doing and pretty much reading the javadoc comments to us. I'm about ready to kill myself.

ach.  Skip the lecture? :)

Yeah. I never went to lecture for basic programming, still got a 98% in it. :D
It's not a basic programming class though. It's a software design class, a place where I definitely need some work and so usually I benefit from going. The other lectures so far was him actually talking about useful stuff, but this one was just pain.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8178 on: September 17, 2009, 06:44:34 pm »
software engineering was one of the least enjoyable computer science classes i've ever taken.  ugh.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #8179 on: September 17, 2009, 06:48:05 pm »
You should have went every other day. Either you find out about a test the next day, or you find out about a test THAT day. :)

I considered that, but it would have become too easy to skip more than one in a row and I had my laptop anyway so it wasn't completely painful.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: September 17, 2009, 08:17:46 pm »
software engineering was one of the least enjoyable computer science classes i've ever taken.  ugh.
I am currently taking one of the TWO discrete math courses my school requires (it used to be one class, but they split it into two for double the pain). I have a feeling I will hate them way wayyyyy more.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8181 on: September 17, 2009, 10:11:29 pm »
I am currently taking one of the TWO discrete math courses my school requires (it used to be one class, but they split it into two for double the pain). I have a feeling I will hate them way wayyyyy more.

I like discrete math waayyyyy more than I like software engineering.  The problems are intellectually stimulating as opposed to tedious.

I suppose I have a bit of a bias, though... I trend toward the more mathy type of computer science.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #8182 on: September 18, 2009, 04:18:33 am »
math blows
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8183 on: September 18, 2009, 06:05:11 pm »
there's just something about math i like.  it's much more... honest than other subjects.  when you're told something, you're given unequivocal proof that what you're told is right.

don't get me wrong, i like subjects where this isn't the case, but i always feel like there's something missing when i don't see a proof. :(

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: September 18, 2009, 06:44:55 pm »
there's just something about math i like.  it's much more... honest than other subjects.  when you're told something, you're given unequivocal proof that what you're told is right.

don't get me wrong, i like subjects where this isn't the case, but i always feel like there's something missing when i don't see a proof. :(
Now... take that and apply it to the real world. Now you have physics, so its even better!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8185 on: September 18, 2009, 07:03:21 pm »

Now... take that and apply it to the real world. Now you have physics, so its even better!
Except that nothing is ever really proven properly in physics, only proven in terms of other things that aren't necessarily proven. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8186 on: September 18, 2009, 07:46:13 pm »

physics almost always relies on empirical proof, which isn't proof at all.  it's evidence.  mathematical proof allows true knowledge.  even in physics (especially in physics, actually), i feel that the professor could be lying to me with all of his hand-waving nonsense.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: September 18, 2009, 10:18:11 pm »

physics almost always relies on empirical proof, which isn't proof at all.  it's evidence.  mathematical proof allows true knowledge.  even in physics (especially in physics, actually), i feel that the professor could be lying to me with all of his hand-waving nonsense.
True knowledge of what? I don't see what "knowledge" you get from mathematical proofs.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: September 19, 2009, 12:38:30 am »
True knowledge of what? I don't see what "knowledge" you get from mathematical proofs.
And that's why you're in the navy!
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: September 19, 2009, 12:59:11 am »
The true knowledge of math! so you can do more proofs! so you can get more knowledge! so you can do more proofs! so you can get more knowledge! so you can...  :)