Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1761856 times)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #8190 on: September 19, 2009, 05:15:29 am »
There are really two camps of physicists.  The theorists, and the experimentalists.  There is an emerging third group of people, mostly computational physicists, who could be considered a mixture of these two categories.

The 'proofs' used by experimental physicists, often rely on intuition, and can be very hand-wavy, or even mathematically wrong.  However, the theoretical physicists are not much different from mathematicians.  Many are motivated by the connection with reality, and some are slightly less rigorous, but this is really it.

Mathematics and physics are both governed by a set of axioms.  We try to make these axioms as basic as is practical.  For example, "the speed of light is the same in all reference frames".  In physics, these axioms could be wrong, but they are usually supported by an abundance of experimental evidence.

In math, we have things like the field axioms.  For example, 0*(any number) = 0.  These are true in the sense that they are definitions.  However, Godel showed that having a complete and consistent set of axioms for all of mathematics was impossible.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 05:19:25 am by Rule »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: September 20, 2009, 06:11:03 am »
I am so god damn unlucky with women it's actually disgusting.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: September 20, 2009, 08:39:19 am »
Next time do the exact opposite of what you THINK you should do.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: September 20, 2009, 11:02:16 am »

Don't worry. I'll get you laid. I've had four girls ask me out on dates this summer. I know what's up.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: September 20, 2009, 11:30:34 am »
Better yet, you're too nervous to talk to any girl, so when you finally muster up enough courage to go talk to one, you fuck it up.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: September 20, 2009, 02:39:24 pm »
Next time do the exact opposite of what you THINK you should do.

No longer going to think about any of it. I'll just react. My first instinct this time was the right thing to do, but my cheap/cautious side fucked me over.

Better yet, you're too nervous to talk to any girl, so when you finally muster up enough courage to go talk to one, you fuck it up.

I can talk to girls fine. My only issues are if opportunities present themselves, I overthink every possible scenario and try to choose what would turn out best -- however, by the time I finish thinking, I just look awkward sitting there quietly thinking. And I also can't seem to think of enough dialogue to keep a conversation going when actually talking to one. I even try forcing boring shitty dialogue, and they still somehow manage to close that. It's hard to talk to girls when they can't seem to give answers that aren't dead-end conversation killers. Trust me. =P
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: September 20, 2009, 02:58:18 pm »

I can talk to girls fine. My only issues are if opportunities present themselves, I overthink every possible scenario and try to choose what would turn out best -- however, by the time I finish thinking, I just look awkward sitting there quietly thinking. And I also can't seem to think of enough dialogue to keep a conversation going when actually talking to one. I even try forcing boring shitty dialogue, and they still somehow manage to close that. It's hard to talk to girls when they can't seem to give answers that aren't dead-end conversation killers. Trust me. =P
You need to talk to more girls. Get practice

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8197 on: September 20, 2009, 03:20:49 pm »
Common interests tend to help. I have the easiest time talking to people (whether male or female) when we have something in common: food, music, games, places, activities, whatever. Once I find common ground, I rarely have trouble talking to somebody.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: September 20, 2009, 03:51:13 pm »
Common interests tend to help. I have the easiest time talking to people (whether male or female) when we have something in common: food, music, games, places, activities, whatever. Once I find common ground, I rarely have trouble talking to somebody.

It's difficult to find common interest -- the only true one I can think of is that they're at our party to get drunk/hook up, and I'm at our party to get drunk/hook up. But nobody wants to talk about that!

Plus, I've got some weird interests..
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8199 on: September 20, 2009, 04:01:36 pm »

It's difficult to find common interest -- the only true one I can think of is that they're at our party to get drunk/hook up, and I'm at our party to get drunk/hook up. But nobody wants to talk about that!

Well, if you don't have any common interests with the person, then odds are you won't get along anyways. So what's the point? :)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8200 on: September 20, 2009, 04:05:14 pm »
I think that's pretty obvious: sex.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: September 20, 2009, 04:10:36 pm »

"So... do you like digging up dead bodies?"
lol.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: September 20, 2009, 05:12:49 pm »
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8203 on: September 20, 2009, 05:22:06 pm »

"So... do you like digging up dead bodies?"
lol.
Oh, you do.. Well... uh......

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8204 on: September 20, 2009, 05:22:46 pm »
Wouldn't you rather find somebody you get along and can hang out with, and ALSO have sex with?

(Maybe that's a stupid question :P)