Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762045 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #8325 on: October 15, 2009, 03:31:35 pm »
Linear was easy :\

You probably took linear algebra for engineers, though.  Engineering math is not to be confused with real math.

Mathematical linear algebra is far more abstract.  90% of my linear algebra course was proofs.  If you've never had exposure to mathematical proofs, it can be rather difficult.

Linear algebra is probably the course that convinced me to major in math.  I really enjoyed the abstractness/proofy stuff.  All of the courses I had before were for engineers, which were comparatively mundane.  It's "here's how to do this calculation, now do it a bunch of times."  Proof courses are "here are some theorems," then you're given some seemingly unrelated problems and told "prove: ...".

Admittedly, linear algebra was quite a bit more straightforward than some of the other math courses I've taken (algebra, analysis, etc.), but it was still quite a bit more rigorous than, for example, engineering calculus.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8326 on: October 16, 2009, 12:11:29 pm »
You probably took linear algebra for engineers, though.  Engineering math is not to be confused with real math.

Mathematical linear algebra is far more abstract.  90% of my linear algebra course was proofs.  If you've never had exposure to mathematical proofs, it can be rather difficult.

Linear algebra is probably the course that convinced me to major in math.  I really enjoyed the abstractness/proofy stuff.  All of the courses I had before were for engineers, which were comparatively mundane.  It's "here's how to do this calculation, now do it a bunch of times."  Proof courses are "here are some theorems," then you're given some seemingly unrelated problems and told "prove: ...".

Admittedly, linear algebra was quite a bit more straightforward than some of the other math courses I've taken (algebra, analysis, etc.), but it was still quite a bit more rigorous than, for example, engineering calculus.
Bu.. .bu... bu... I R engineer! I can do maths.
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8327 on: October 16, 2009, 01:43:40 pm »

Bu.. .bu... bu... I R engineer! I can do maths.

I'm sure you're perfectly capable of doing real math, but that doesn't change the fact that engineering math isn't real math.

I'm also not saying you haven't succeeded at doing real math.  I'm unfamiliar with what math courses you've taken over the years, but I wouldn't be surprised if you'd snuck a few 'real' math courses into your schedule.

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8328 on: October 16, 2009, 02:32:02 pm »
Sidoh is more qualified to talk about math than God.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8329 on: October 16, 2009, 02:46:35 pm »

This is vacuously true.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8330 on: October 16, 2009, 02:59:39 pm »

This is vacuously true.

That's the best kind of true!

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #8331 on: October 17, 2009, 05:59:31 pm »
Why on the subject of math, maybe someone can recommend me a good course to take next semester? I've done a lot of engineering math courses, enough for a math minor (I'd have a B.A. in math but I need ~13 hours of foreign language).

Looking at what courses I can pick from I see these:
Modern Geometry - An introduction to geometry including axiomatics, finite geometry, convexity, and classicalEuclidean and non-Euclidean geometry.
Introduction to Functions of a Complex Variable - Complex analytic functions, conformal mappings, complex integrals. Taylor and Laurent series, integration by the method of residues, complex analytic functions and potential theory.
Introduction to Abstract Algebra I - Concepts from set theory; the system of natural numbers, extension from the natural numbers to the integers; semigroups and groups; rings, integral domain and fields
Applied Modern Algebra - Topics from the theory of error correcting codes, including Shannon's theorem, finite fields, families of linear codes such as Hamming, Golay, BCH, and Reed-Solomon codes. Other topics such as Goppa codes, group codes, and cryptography as time permits
Introduction to Analysis I - Review of real number system. Sequences of real numbers. Topology of the real line. Continuity and differentiation of functions of a single variable.
Introduction to Topology - Metric spaces and topological spaces, continuity, connectedness, compactness and related topics.
Partial Differential Equations - First order equations, Cauchy problem for higher order equations, second order equations with constant coefficients, linear hyperbolic equations (Grad. Class)
Wavelets - Fourier analysis on a finite cyclic group, the group of integers, and the real line. The matching pursuit algorithm. The Poisson summation formula and sampling. Multi-resolution analysis, various wavelet constructions (including those of Daubechies and Meyer) and filter banks. An introduction to the MATLAB wavelet toolbox. (Grad. Class)

Are any of these really enlightening classes or cover subjects that are neat? I'm eyeballing the Wavelets class...
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8332 on: October 17, 2009, 06:21:58 pm »
Of course it depends on what you want.  If you like pure math, then of course something like topology would be ideal.

I'm really enjoying analysis, and I think I would've liked algebra more had I had a different professor.  Still lots of fun, though.  Those are both rather akin to "pure math" too.

DiffEQ and Wavelets are both kind of applied subjects.  Useful, but not the kind of math I like.

The fact that any of them are graduate classes is mostly irrelevant.  We did more in my second semester of undergraduate algebra than the graduate algebra course does.

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #8333 on: October 17, 2009, 06:23:47 pm »
Modern Geometry - An introduction to geometry including axiomatics, finite geometry, convexity, and classicalEuclidean and non-Euclidean geometry.
Introduction to Functions of a Complex Variable - Complex analytic functions, conformal mappings, complex integrals. Taylor and Laurent series, integration by the method of residues, complex analytic functions and potential theory.
Introduction to Abstract Algebra I - Concepts from set theory; the system of natural numbers, extension from the natural numbers to the integers; semigroups and groups; rings, integral domain and fields
Introduction to Analysis I - Review of real number system. Sequences of real numbers. Topology of the real line. Continuity and differentiation of functions of a single variable.
Introduction to Topology - Metric spaces and topological spaces, continuity, connectedness, compactness and related topics.

Unless you need some grad courses atm, I would take one of these. Topology, Algebra, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Geometry (in order from most desired to desired).
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #8334 on: October 17, 2009, 06:24:50 pm »
The fact that any of them are graduate classes is mostly irrelevant.  We did more in my second semester of undergraduate algebra than the graduate algebra course does.

I would have to say that largely depends on the school...
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8335 on: October 17, 2009, 06:45:05 pm »

I would have to say that largely depends on the school...

and the class.  I mostly said that because people tend to think it means it's an insane amount of extra work.  Sometimes that's true, but it's usually manageable.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8336 on: October 18, 2009, 06:00:23 am »
The complex variable course was my favourite of those listed.  The topics in 'intro to topology' and 'analysis I' were covered in one course, where I went.  You can even see in the descriptions that there is overlap... it seems strange that they have separated out the material into two different courses.

Of those, complex variables would be my first choice, and analysis I would be my second (presuming I did not have much math background).  Analysis I, without topology, looks really bare though. I consider things like compact sets, connectedness, metric spaces, etc., important parts of an introductory analysis course.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 06:03:24 am by Rule »

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8337 on: October 18, 2009, 08:11:47 am »
I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else.  Complex seems most interesting, then topology after that.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8338 on: October 18, 2009, 10:36:10 am »
It sucks that 1/3 of my paycheck goes to taxes.  I wish overtime pay didn't get taxed :(.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8339 on: October 18, 2009, 11:20:01 am »
It sucks that 1/3 of my paycheck goes to taxes.  I wish overtime pay didn't get taxed :(.
or commissions.