Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762052 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #8385 on: November 14, 2009, 06:19:15 pm »
I'll post (more specifically) the questions they asked and elaborate on the experience if anyone is interested.
I'd hold off on doing that until you find out for sure either way--I know with some companies, discussing their hiring questions [and if they find out] is instant grounds for dismissal.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8386 on: November 16, 2009, 03:25:38 pm »
Just found out that I cannot defer my tuition fees next semester so I have to pay them 2,400 by dec 11th. :(

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8387 on: November 16, 2009, 04:26:19 pm »
I'll post (more specifically) the questions they asked and elaborate on the experience if anyone is interested.
I'd hold off on doing that until you find out for sure either way--I know with some companies, discussing their hiring questions [and if they find out] is instant grounds for dismissal.

I'm confident enough that this isn't true in this case that I'll probably post them later today anyway. :P

Just found out that I cannot defer my tuition fees next semester so I have to pay them 2,400 by dec 11th. :(

Ouch, that sucks... going to have to do loans?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8388 on: November 16, 2009, 04:40:17 pm »
Bake a tasty cake.  Sell it.  Repeat.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: November 16, 2009, 04:55:55 pm »
I feel your pain. I just finally got financial aid like, last week. Now I need to come up with the ~$3500 or so it doesn't cover or I can't register for classes for next semester :|
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8390 on: November 16, 2009, 08:45:31 pm »
All questions are programming questions.  You're asked to write code on a whiteboard that is pretty close to functioning.  I was given five questions throughout the day, but I'll only ask the ones that weren't completely mundane (they're all straightforward).

1. Write a method to draw a tree given the following definition of a tree:
Code: [Select]
typedef struct _TreeNode
{
  TreeNode *firstChild;
  TreeLink *children;
  void *data;
} TreeNode;

typedef struct _TreeLink
{
  TreeNode *child;
  TreeLink *nextChild;
} TreeLink;

And the following method that renders a node on the screen at position (x,y).  You can assume an infinite canvas, and it doesn't matter where the tree is positioned, as long as the nodes are given a "spacer" of 1 unit (each node occupies 1sq unit).

Code: [Select]
void *DrawNode(TreeNode *node, float x, float y);
2. Given two pointers to arbitrary nodes in a tree, write a method that finds their first common ancestor.  You can assume the tree is balanced.

3. Write some C code to parse an INI file.

4. You're tasked with writing the history functionality for a browser.  You're primarily concerned with returning all entries that start with some substring.  What data structures would you use to store the history?

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: November 16, 2009, 11:31:07 pm »

Ouch, that sucks... going to have to do loans?
yeah unfortunately.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: November 16, 2009, 11:52:42 pm »
If anyone here ever interviews with Microsoft, the best advice I can give is know your data structures.  One of the interview questions was best solved using a Trie (26-ary tree where each edge is a letter) or a DAWG (directed acyclic word graph, compressed version of Trie), and two separate interviews involved writing C to do various operations on an n-ary tree.

Wow. We learned about Tries in my data structures class, and I thought the bitch was insane because I had *never* heard of it!

She also explained how to compress a Trie, but never talked about a DAWG specifically. =P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8393 on: November 17, 2009, 12:00:11 am »
If anyone here ever interviews with Microsoft, the best advice I can give is know your data structures.  One of the interview questions was best solved using a Trie (26-ary tree where each edge is a letter) or a DAWG (directed acyclic word graph, compressed version of Trie), and two separate interviews involved writing C to do various operations on an n-ary tree.

Wow. We learned about Tries in my data structures class, and I thought the bitch was insane because I had *never* heard of it!

She also explained how to compress a Trie, but never talked about a DAWG specifically. =P

I hadn't either.  I kinda came up with it in the middle of the interview.  I started drawing a tree on the board like "I'm thinking of a tree where every edge is a letter..." and he interrupted and said "Yeah, that's called a Trie".

Well, she probably wasn't talking about a DAWG.  The obvious way of compressing a Trie is to not include edges that aren't used.  The guy who was interviewing me hadn't even heard of them.  A DAWG compresses a Trie by turning it into a directed acyclic graph (and in most cases, makes it not a tree at all anymore).  The idea is to make any two nodes with the same parent point to the same node if they both have a link to the same letter.

Data structures are the bread and butter of efficient programming, though.  Most fancy algorithms have fancy data structures behind them.

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8394 on: November 27, 2009, 10:42:48 am »
What are everyone's thoughts on this computer Walmart has for Black Friday?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13228496&sourceid=24182692763822594607

All I use my laptop for is internet, music, pictures, homework, and photoshop. I have a Macbook Pro right now that I'd like to sell, buy a Windows laptop and get a ZuneHD (I want the ZuneHD.) I still like my Mac but I'd rather have an iMac because I find the Macbook screen is too small for Photoshop and Illustrator, thus I often use an iMac on campus anyway. I'm not sure how much my Macbook would sell for if I put it on eBay, but if I could sell it and buy the Windows computer and have some extra cash to put toward either the Zune or iMac I think it could be a good deal. I really like the Zune software, almost enough for it to fuel me to switch back to Win 7 at least on my laptop.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: November 27, 2009, 10:46:33 am »
You can get better computer for less money at Woot.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8396 on: November 27, 2009, 11:30:40 am »
You could just buy a big monitor to plug into your Macbook. That's what I do at home.

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8397 on: November 27, 2009, 11:53:31 am »
You could just buy a big monitor to plug into your Macbook. That's what I do at home.

I do have an external monitor, but I prefer not to use it (anybody interested in a Samsung SyncMaster 906bw?).
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8398 on: November 27, 2009, 12:41:56 pm »

I do have an external monitor, but I prefer not to use it (anybody interested in a Samsung SyncMaster 906bw?).

How come?

Using my laptop in a hotel or whatever makes me crazy -- I can't stand not having a monitor.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8399 on: November 27, 2009, 03:29:43 pm »
I don't mind using a laptop (I have two 24" at home), but I definitely feel more restricted.  If I'm doing anything useful, it's much easier to use my desktop.