Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1761866 times)

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #8475 on: December 15, 2009, 07:01:30 am »
Actually, if you look at marriage in the historical context, marriage was about power, influence, financial interests, etc.  Things like 'love' came secondary.  Religion played a large role in marriage historically because religion had a huge role in the everyday life of all social classes back in the day.  The fact that the religious clergy were often in bed with those of power, meant they were the ones often with power (see Catholicism throughout the centuries).  However, these days religion is secondary in most societies and marriage has become more of a vestigial tradition, than a necessity.  It's one of the few means of power religion has left to leverage.

The Catholic church and religion in general has greatly influenced and shaped the patriarchal society we have today.  Marriage was traditionally one of these ways of reinforcing a patriarchal society.  It's a highly sexist practice (and not in the sense of gay marriage).  i.e. Men having to buy the women the rings, men having to spend 2-months salary on an engagement ring, the dowry, etc.

In fact, I think as a society, the reason why divorce rates are increasing so much reflects the values of people today and how they've come to value marriage as less of a necessity for survival.  I haven't done any research on this, but it's plausible that since the era of women's rights and the movement towards equality amongst the sexes; marriage has only become more and more obsolete.  No longer must women depend on marriage for financial stability, power, influence, etc. or feel bound by societal pressures.

Granted, I still think single parent families are at a greater disadvantage than those coming from a traditional two parent family.  I believe that having two parents instead of just one is more efficient and plays an important role in raising a child to be contributing member of society.  Of course marriage is not necessary.  It could be two gays/ lesbians raising a child or two heterosexuals, I don't give a rat's ass.  Two parents is generally going to be better than one when raising and providing for a child IMO.  I still offend many single parents with this belief, but I think deep down they know I'm right :P.  The statistics are on my side anyways.

Someday I'm going to run as a libertarian for public office somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:56:18 am by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: December 15, 2009, 08:02:03 am »
Not to mention marriage in the US offers something like 1200 legal perks (tax breaks, inheritance, and other stuff)...or maybe its 1200 more than a civil union?  Either way, there's at least 1200 more perks.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8477 on: December 15, 2009, 08:34:11 am »
Not to mention marriage in the US offers something like 1200 legal perks (tax breaks, inheritance, and other stuff)...or maybe its 1200 more than a civil union?  Either way, there's at least 1200 more perks.
Do the same perks apply to commonlaw partners, or only when you're officially married?

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: December 15, 2009, 02:29:37 pm »
I agree.  I think the value people see in marriage is pretty subjective, and I don't think calling it "meaningless" because you subjectively assign less value to it is kinda lame. : P
I think you subjectively thinking that iago's subjective opinion of the value of marriage is lame, is well, pretty lame.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8479 on: December 15, 2009, 02:38:24 pm »
I agree.  I think the value people see in marriage is pretty subjective, and I don't think calling it "meaningless" because you subjectively assign less value to it is kinda lame. : P
I think you subjectively thinking that iago's subjective opinion of the value of marriage is lame, is well, pretty lame.

maybe a little.  not as lame as your face, though.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: December 15, 2009, 03:36:35 pm »

maybe a little.  not as lame as your face, though.
now that was just rude
jerk

Also, I got more than half of what I paid for my textbooks back from the school. I'm amazed, usually they try to offer me like 10% of what I paid for shit
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: December 15, 2009, 03:39:55 pm »
I'm more against marriage, than weddings.  I think complete extravagance and excessiveness is a lot of fun.  

Marriage annoys me though.  The only time it vaguely makes sense, is if you want children and you don't want them to be troubled by having unmarried parents -- which might be the case, simply because it is abnormal.  So I would basically be conforming to a stupid societal expectation, for the sake of someone else who doesn't have a choice.

But marriage because of love?  Why?  If the relationship is truly so great, is a marriage necessary to keep it together?  If it is going to fall apart without marriage, isn't it better that it fall apart?  

Besides, I think I could love multiple women, and I wouldn't want to be restricted.  Why should I be?

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: December 15, 2009, 08:10:52 pm »
WTF.  I got a pie today at work.  I guess it's a tradition that my company gives every employee an apple pie for Christmas (or the holidays for the PC bastards).  The pie looks damn good, not a cheap one!

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: December 15, 2009, 08:21:09 pm »
WTF.  I got a pie today at work.  I guess it's a tradition that my company gives every employee an apple pie for Christmas (or the holidays for the PC bastards).  The pie looks damn good, not a cheap one!
Nice Our company has a cafe so they make everyone who has to work on Thanksgiving or Christmas a big meal on the house. and in my individual department we are doing a secret santa which I got my secret santa (my boss) Moby Dick and the hangover. which he asked for.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: December 15, 2009, 08:46:06 pm »
B+ in physics. Mother fucker. I absolutely hated E&M and did really badly throughout the course and feel I learned nothing in it... but still, I expected higher since the average in the course was pretty poor GPA-wise.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8485 on: December 15, 2009, 10:10:28 pm »
I had a similar experience today. Except that I made said pie two weeks ago and totally forgot it was in the fridge. I found it today and had a slice. It was good! :)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: December 15, 2009, 11:18:29 pm »
I had a similar experience today. Except that I made said pie two weeks ago and totally forgot it was in the fridge. I found it today and had a slice. It was good! :)
Silly vegan you're gonna die from eating your spoiled vegetable pies

;)
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: December 16, 2009, 06:55:27 am »

That's probably how it'll go down for me, lol.  You see, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but every now and then when I do have a dessert craving... it's like an 18-wheeler hitting me on the freeway.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8488 on: December 16, 2009, 08:31:37 am »

That's probably how it'll go down for me, lol.  You see, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but every now and then when I do have a dessert craving... it's like an 18-wheeler hitting me on the freeway.
Haha, I don't have one either, but I made 3 at once. Me and my friend ate the first two in a couple days, and the third one got forgotten :(

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: December 16, 2009, 08:33:19 am »
I watched Inglourious Basterds last night....it sucked.  It looked good in the commercials, but it turned out to be long, drawn out, boring, full of irrelevant dialogue, and just about everyone died.