Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1761934 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #8535 on: December 28, 2009, 02:15:52 pm »
I watched Inglourious Basterds last night....it sucked.  It looked good in the commercials, but it turned out to be long, drawn out, boring, full of irrelevant dialogue, and just about everyone died.
Inglourious Basterds sucked if you're not a fan of absolutely genius dialogue and plot.

Really though, I feel the best of any art form is an acquired taste. I understand if you haven't learned to love the subtleties of every specific art -- who has?
I thought it sucked, but I'm pretty sure you already know my opinion on art.
Considering his signature... :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8536 on: December 28, 2009, 02:17:46 pm »
"It's an acquired taste" is one of the more frustrating things someone can say to me.  While I'm sure there exist foods, art, etc. where this might be the case for a specific person, to assume the reason that someone does not like something is they are too uncultured or unsophisticated to recognize its greatness is snobby, obnoxious, and rather silly.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8537 on: December 28, 2009, 03:58:07 pm »
I totally disagree with that. Anything that requires some prior knowledge to appreciate properly can be considered an acquired taste.

Music is a great example. If you play one of the great composers to a person who has no understanding of music, they're going to be bored looking for the lyrics. But if they take the time to understand the subtleties of music and composition and all that, they're going to appreciate it.

Likewise with movies -- there was a time when I was bored by independent/low budget films. I mean, they don't have the special effects or action or anything of the big movies. But after I started listening to commentaries on various movies and understanding how movies are made, I learned to appreciate the small ones for their art.

There are a lot of examples where things are boring on the surface, but are more interesting and compelling with some background knowledge.

So yeah, there are a lot of scenarios where people aren't going to like things because they don't have the background knowledge to appreciate them properly. "uncultured" or "unsophisticated" are stupid words, because "culture" and "sophistication" aren't really defined. I'd say "ignorant" is a better word, but it has negative connotations that I don't really want, as does "uneducated". I don't know what the best word to use it. :)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8538 on: December 28, 2009, 04:05:49 pm »
to assume the reason that someone does not like something is they are too uncultured or unsophisticated to recognize its greatness is snobby, obnoxious, and rather silly.
To quote myself:
I understand if you haven't learned to love the subtleties of every specific art -- who has?
How is that snobby?

I felt the movie was so great that everyone with a taste for subtle dialogue would love it. He's made it clear he has this taste, and still did not enjoy it. If this is true, then I was wrong. This is where the discussion would have ended; no accusations necessary.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:11:53 pm by Armin »
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: December 29, 2009, 06:03:44 pm »
So apparently, even with my mother cosigning, I don't qualify for a loan for the $4400 or whatever I need to finish paying my school so they will let me come back. I currently have no idea wtf to do.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: December 29, 2009, 09:20:40 pm »
That's bizarre. I'm gonna be out of money shortly... and all I needed was someone with a $12000/yr job to qualify for a loan. Granted, my dad's legally unemployed (which is why i didn't get it) but still! :/
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8541 on: December 29, 2009, 09:36:03 pm »
I totally disagree with that. Anything that requires some prior knowledge to appreciate properly can be considered an acquired taste.

Music is a great example. If you play one of the great composers to a person who has no understanding of music, they're going to be bored looking for the lyrics. But if they take the time to understand the subtleties of music and composition and all that, they're going to appreciate it.

Likewise with movies -- there was a time when I was bored by independent/low budget films. I mean, they don't have the special effects or action or anything of the big movies. But after I started listening to commentaries on various movies and understanding how movies are made, I learned to appreciate the small ones for their art.

There are a lot of examples where things are boring on the surface, but are more interesting and compelling with some background knowledge.

So yeah, there are a lot of scenarios where people aren't going to like things because they don't have the background knowledge to appreciate them properly. "uncultured" or "unsophisticated" are stupid words, because "culture" and "sophistication" aren't really defined. I'd say "ignorant" is a better word, but it has negative connotations that I don't really want, as does "uneducated". I don't know what the best word to use it. :)

I contend that there are an equal number of things that people don't like because there's nothing about them that they like.  I could watch a play a hundred times and still not like plays.  Sure, there exist things where people will miss details they'd find desirable the first time they experience it, but that doesn't mean there are many examples of this, and it certainly doesn't mean everything is like this.

to assume the reason that someone does not like something is they are too uncultured or unsophisticated to recognize its greatness is snobby, obnoxious, and rather silly.
To quote myself:
I understand if you haven't learned to love the subtleties of every specific art -- who has?
How is that snobby?

I felt the movie was so great that everyone with a taste for subtle dialogue would love it. He's made it clear he has this taste, and still did not enjoy it. If this is true, then I was wrong. This is where the discussion would have ended; no accusations necessary.

Because it implies that every art has at least one subtlety for any given person such that they will enjoy it.  I don't agree with this, and I find it obnoxious when people tell me that I'm too unsophisticated to have the opinion that I don't like something.

I'm not really meaning to accuse you of doing this -- it was more of a rant that was sparked by the language you used.  I don't think people have learned to love the subtleties of every specific art because I think that just about every person will invariably find certain kinds of art boring or objectionable.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8542 on: December 29, 2009, 09:52:06 pm »
I contend that there are an equal number of things that people don't like because there's nothing about them that they like.  I could watch a play a hundred times and still not like plays.  Sure, there exist things where people will miss details they'd find desirable the first time they experience it, but that doesn't mean there are many examples of this, and it certainly doesn't mean everything is like this.
I don't disagree. Your post seemed to imply that the vast majority of occasions were on one side. That's why I provided what I consider to be counterexamples. Equal numbers or something sounds more accurate. :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: December 30, 2009, 08:25:09 am »
I do like genius dialog and plot....which Inglorious Basterds doesn't have.  It tries to, but it's from concentrate (but made with 100% real juice) at the same time.  I'd rather watch The Counterfeiters over Inglorious Basterds any day.

The Counterfeiters? That movie was excellent. I watched it for a class my senior year of high school; it was probably my favorite film of the bunch.

All of the movies I had to watch for that were good, now that I think about it. The Counterfeiters, Tsotsi, Shake Hands With The Devil/Hotel Rwanda, and a few others that slips my mind... but I watched close to 20 hours of movies, if I remember correctly, to pass that course.
Yes, that The Counterfeiters.  I have Tsotsi on my hard drive, but I haven't watched it yet.  Another one I have to watch is Salo.  Also, if you liked the Counterfeiters and Hotel Rwanda, check out Europa Europa (if you haven't already).

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8544 on: December 31, 2009, 03:57:12 am »
To quote myself:
How is that snobby?

Because it implies that every art has at least one subtlety for any given person such that they will enjoy it.  I don't agree with this, and I find it obnoxious when people tell me that I'm too unsophisticated to have the opinion that I don't like something.

I'm not really meaning to accuse you of doing this -- it was more of a rant that was sparked by the language you used.  I don't think people have learned to love the subtleties of every specific art because I think that just about every person will invariably find certain kinds of art boring or objectionable.
I can agree with that.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: December 31, 2009, 09:23:56 am »
I went back home to VA for 6 days, came back Tuesday and have noticed that my lower-back is starting to ache again... whereas it stopped aching when I was at home, but did ache before I went home.  I think it has to do with the cheap quality of my mattress.  My parents turned my old bedroom into the guest room and have a quality mattress that I slept on... I seriously would have stayed in bed all day if I could do everything in bed, haha.

I thought that the aches and pains in my muscles and joints were solely due to side effects of the Accutane (aka isotretinoin) I'm taking because I've been getting aches and pains in my knees and other joints that I've never had until I began taking it.  I guess it could be a combination of both the cheap shitty mattress I have in my apartment and the acne medication.

It's not extreme lower-back pain, but it sure makes me uneasy working out and reduces the amount of physical activity I can comfortably do.  I'll have to discuss this with my dermatologist in a couple weeks.  She mentioned the side effects before and said the higher dosage of Accutane she put me on might need to be reduced... but I'd be willing to stay on the high dosage since the medication is working twice as fast as when I was on it senior year of high school... as long as the aches and pains aren't going to cause permanent damage to my body, and my liver and kidneys are still checking out fine in my monthly bloodwork (the requirements for taking Accutane are 10x stricter than 5 years ago, luckily I have good health insurance).

I'm thinking about investing in one of those NASA-invented memory foam mattress toppers to make my relatively cheap mattress more comfortable.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:36:08 am by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8546 on: December 31, 2009, 09:42:25 am »
I went back home to VA for 6 days, came back Tuesday and have noticed that my lower-back is starting to ache again... whereas it stopped aching when I was at home, but did ache before I went home.  I think it has to do with the cheap quality of my mattress.  My parents turned my old bedroom into the guest room and have a quality mattress that I slept on... I seriously would have stayed in bed all day if I could do everything in bed, haha.

I thought that the aches and pains in my muscles and joints were solely due to side effects of the Accutane (aka isotretinoin) I'm taking because I've been getting aches and pains in my knees and other joints that I've never had until I began taking it.  I guess it could be a combination of both the cheap shitty mattress I have in my apartment and the acne medication.

It's not extreme lower-back pain, but it sure makes me uneasy working out and reduces the amount of physical activity I can comfortably do.  I'll have to discuss this with my dermatologist in a couple weeks.  She mentioned the side effects before and said the higher dosage of Accutane she put me on might need to be reduced... but I'd be willing to stay on the high dosage since the medication is working twice as fast as when I was on it senior year of high school... as long as the aches and pains aren't going to cause permanent damage to my body, and my liver and kidneys are still checking out fine in my monthly bloodwork (the requirements for taking Accutane are 10x stricter than 5 years ago, luckily I have good health insurance).

I'm thinking about investing in one of those NASA-invented memory foam mattress toppers to make my relatively cheap mattress more comfortable.
I don't understand....

..... what exactly can you not to in bed?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: December 31, 2009, 09:52:48 am »
NASA my ass, that stuff was invented in Sweden or something.  Anyway, I'm not a big fan of them :\

And as iago said, what can't be done in bed?

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: December 31, 2009, 02:17:50 pm »
I'm sure this suggestion will be shrugged off like it is by most people, but you should seriously consider yoga.

One of the reasons my guitar player doesn't play live anymore is because of back problems caused by jumping around on stage with the weight of a guitar on his left shoulder for 20 years. Knowing that, I visited the chiropractor requesting some preventive information. He refused to tell me anything worthwhile, until finally he understood I didn't have insurance and couldn't regularly visit him even if I wanted.

After realizing he couldn't milk me for money, he told me yoga is the best physical activity one could do to take care of one's joints, back, circulation, and muscle. And he was right. Anytime I feel pain in my back for whatever reason, yoga will always fix it. I always notice it most when I lie in bed that night and feel how immediately comfortable I am.

And yoga certainly isn't for women only. It's not so much for building muscle, as much as it's for taking care of full body health. I know many ASU football players that take yoga and say it should be a requirement for the entire team, because it's a very different kind of difficult.

If you're interested, I can help you get a hold of the DVD I use.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: December 31, 2009, 02:39:11 pm »
I'm sure this suggestion will be shrugged off like it is by most people, but you should seriously consider yoga.

One of the reasons my guitar player doesn't play live anymore is because of back problems caused by jumping around on stage with the weight of a guitar on his left shoulder for 20 years. Knowing that, I visited the chiropractor requesting some preventive information. He refused to tell me anything worthwhile, until finally he understood I didn't have insurance and couldn't regularly visit him even if I wanted.

After realizing he couldn't milk me for money, he told me yoga is the best physical activity one could do to take care of one's joints, back, circulation, and muscle. And he was right. Anytime I feel pain in my back for whatever reason, yoga will always fix it. I always notice it most when I lie in bed that night and feel how immediately comfortable I am.

And yoga certainly isn't for women only. It's not so much for building muscle, as much as it's for taking care of full body health. I know many ASU football players that take yoga and say it should be a requirement for the entire team, because it's a very different kind of difficult.

If you're interested, I can help you get a hold of the DVD I use.
I'll dibs that shit.
And your new musics. Dude we haven't talked in ages.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine