Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1761948 times)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #8655 on: January 21, 2010, 07:29:37 am »
Protein, especially from animals, is linked to all kinds of diseases (from brain stuff to heart disease to a bunch of types of cancer). In small amounts, it's required and beneficial, but in the amount eaten by the average American/Canadian, it's dangerously unhealthy.

I'm sure I've posted that before. :)

Well, I consume more whey protein than animal protein, so I'm good to go?
Whey = milk = animal. Sorry. :P

Milk isn't an animal! So I call shenanigans
I'm sure there's whey protein in human milk too.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8656 on: January 21, 2010, 08:26:28 am »
Protein, especially from animals, is linked to all kinds of diseases (from brain stuff to heart disease to a bunch of types of cancer). In small amounts, it's required and beneficial, but in the amount eaten by the average American/Canadian, it's dangerously unhealthy.

Milk is still animal-based, though.

Small amounts of protein are fine and healthy. Your body is designed to drink human milk for the first ~5 years of life, and it's completely beneficial.

Your body isn't designed to consume milk from other animals, though, and not when you're older. And to editorialize a bit, I don't know how people CAN drink milk from animals without gagging. The whole concept is nasty. :)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #8657 on: January 21, 2010, 10:37:48 am »

Small amounts of protein are fine and healthy. Your body is designed to drink human milk for the first ~5 years of life, and it's completely beneficial.

Your body isn't designed to consume milk from other animals, though, and not when you're older. And to editorialize a bit, I don't know how people CAN drink milk from animals without gagging. The whole concept is nasty. :)

You're one of those freakish people aren't you?
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8658 on: January 21, 2010, 11:13:01 am »

I don't know how people CAN eat onions without gagging.  The whole concept is nasty.

A smelly vegan hippie?  Yup.  Well, I don't think he's smelly, and he doesn't really look like a hippie... where have you been for the last two years?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8659 on: January 21, 2010, 12:35:25 pm »
You just noticed? :P

I don't know how people CAN eat onions without gagging.  The whole concept is nasty.
Entirely different! At least eating onions is sort of natural. :)

A smelly vegan hippie?  Yup.  Well, I don't think he's smelly, and he doesn't really look like a hippie... where have you been for the last two years?
Thanks, I think?

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8660 on: January 21, 2010, 12:36:33 pm »
What's wrong with onions?  Next you'll be saying garlic is bad!  For shame, Sigh Dough!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8661 on: January 21, 2010, 12:46:36 pm »
milk tastes awful, isn't that enough?
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8662 on: January 21, 2010, 12:48:21 pm »
Entirely different! At least eating onions is sort of natural. :)

Everything is "natural."  I don't buy the "natural" argument under any circumstances.  "natural" is not intrinsically good.  next you're going to be telling me the gays are immoral because they're having unnatural sex.

milk tastes awful, isn't that enough?

that's a fantastic reason to not drink milk.

What's wrong with onions?  Next you'll be saying garlic is bad!  For shame, Sigh Dough!

I think onions are just one of these things that I've had more that one bad experience with.  Maybe the kind where you eat something and get sick soon afterward, and then you hate the thing you ate.

Garlic is okay in moderation, but too much is nearly as disgusting as onions.

I don't find the taste of either gross (although they're not pleasant), but I think that they tend to distract from flavors that I find better (for example, dressing in salads, etc.)  I'm also vehemently against having a flavor lingering in my mouth for days at a time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 12:52:47 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8663 on: January 21, 2010, 02:05:32 pm »

Have you ever considered that some people (who don't sit on the grass, hold hands, and sing kumbaya) who get physical activity might need more protein? ;P
And how do you automatically categorize whey protein as having the same negative effects, assuming there are, as milk?

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8664 on: January 21, 2010, 02:07:26 pm »
If your definition of need more-so fits with the category of wants.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8665 on: January 21, 2010, 02:11:30 pm »
If your definition of need more-so fits with the category of wants.
Need is a very open ended word. It depends on what you need it for. We don't really need anything, since we don't really NEED to live.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8666 on: January 21, 2010, 03:00:09 pm »
Have you ever considered that some people (who don't sit on the grass, hold hands, and sing kumbaya) who get physical activity might need more protein? ;P
And how do you automatically categorize whey protein as having the same negative effects, assuming there are, as milk?
Yes, our bodies need protein. And if you're treating your body the way nature designed it, the protein you get from your food is enough.

Vegetable-based protein is what's best for the body, and it doesn't come with the strings attached that animal protein is. Animal protein is protein that's created by animals. Eating protein created by animals in small amounts is ok, but too much increases your risk of bad stuff.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8667 on: January 21, 2010, 03:55:19 pm »
Yes, our bodies need protein. And if you're treating your body the way nature designed it, the protein you get from your food is enough.

Vegetable-based protein is what's best for the body, and it doesn't come with the strings attached that animal protein is. Animal protein is protein that's created by animals. Eating protein created by animals in small amounts is ok, but too much increases your risk of bad stuff.

"Treating your body the way nature designed it", could you elaborate on this? To me this phrase seems ambiguous.

So... the protein we make ourselves... is bad for ourselves?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8668 on: January 21, 2010, 04:10:55 pm »
treating your body the way nature designed it

fuck that.  i want everyone to gorge themselves on meat.  that way, we'll naturally select to eventually produce badass carnivores.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8669 on: January 21, 2010, 04:24:23 pm »
treating your body the way nature designed it

fuck that.  i want everyone to gorge themselves on meat.  that way, we'll naturally select to eventually produce badass carnivores.
Hahaha, I second this.