Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762101 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #8670 on: January 21, 2010, 05:51:52 pm »
I havent posted in this thread in ages, but I figure I will fuck up your day and do it anyway.  I finally got into a law school I wanted (last app cycle I got into crappy schools I didnt want).  I reworked personal statement, applied a bit earlier, and just heard from my first school yesterday...and they said yes!  It's also one of my topic picks taking into account location, programs, etc.  Texas Tech.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8671 on: January 21, 2010, 06:10:04 pm »
Congratulations!  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #8672 on: January 21, 2010, 06:25:28 pm »
I havent posted in this thread in ages, but I figure I will fuck up your day and do it anyway.  I finally got into a law school I wanted (last app cycle I got into crappy schools I didnt want).  I reworked personal statement, applied a bit earlier, and just heard from my first school yesterday...and they said yes!  It's also one of my topic picks taking into account location, programs, etc.  Texas Tech.

I went there. Enjoy being in the middle of no where and literally smelling cow shit when the wind blows in from whatever direction. It's a great school if you're in a greek organization, otherwise it's probably insanely boring. The entire student population drinks only alcohol, mostly from Chimey's right in front of the University. I had a great time there but I couldn't stand living 5 hours from anything cool for another year.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: January 21, 2010, 06:34:38 pm »
thnx Blaze.

Lubbock is a bigger city than I'm from...it'd possibly be an improvement.  Also, not greek, not much interest in doing it.  Although, the contacts would be nice to make.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8674 on: January 21, 2010, 06:35:35 pm »
Have you ever considered that some people (who don't sit on the grass, hold hands, and sing kumbaya) who get physical activity might need more protein? ;P
And how do you automatically categorize whey protein as having the same negative effects, assuming there are, as milk?
Yes, our bodies need protein. And if you're treating your body the way nature designed it, the protein you get from your food is enough.

Vegetable-based protein is what's best for the body, and it doesn't come with the strings attached that animal protein is. Animal protein is protein that's created by animals. Eating protein created by animals in small amounts is ok, but too much increases your risk of bad stuff.

"Treating your body the way nature designed it", could you elaborate on this? To me this phrase seems ambiguous.

So... the protein we make ourselves... is bad for ourselves?
I'm assuming it is, which is yet another reason we don't eat people. :P

"Treating your body the way nature designed it" = not eating artificial foods. The milk that animals feed their babies is included in that category, but I'll leave "meat" out of it for now. :P

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: January 21, 2010, 08:24:23 pm »
I think this is comparable to saying "Having a heart is not healthy!"

"Treating your body the way nature designed it" = not eating artificial foods. The milk that animals feed their babies is included in that category, but I'll leave "meat" out of it for now. :P
How is milk "artificial"?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8676 on: January 21, 2010, 08:41:13 pm »
I don't understand your comparison. "Eating human flesh isn't healthy" seems valid enough to me?

Our bodies are designed to drink *human* milk, until you're roughly 5 years old. Our bodies aren't designed to drink milk that came out of animals, nor are they designed to do so when you're older.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8677 on: January 21, 2010, 08:50:20 pm »
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: January 21, 2010, 10:06:31 pm »
Our bodies are designed to drink *human* milk, until you're roughly 5 years old. Our bodies aren't designed to drink milk that came out of animals, nor are they designed to do so when you're older.
Artificial:
1.   made by human skill; produced by humans

Uhh, yeah. Milk isn't artificial. In fact, if you stretch the definition, human milk is closer to artificial than cow milk.
I don't understand your comparison. "Eating human flesh isn't healthy" seems valid enough to me?
I wasn't referencing consuming human flesh, just the fact that our bodies are composed of this animal protein, which, as you said, is harmful. So if our own muscle is harmful to ourselves, then a heart would be unhealthy!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8679 on: January 21, 2010, 11:50:02 pm »
Artificial:
1.   made by human skill; produced by humans

Uhh, yeah. Milk isn't artificial. In fact, if you stretch the definition, human milk is closer to artificial than cow milk.
You're arguing semantics by picking on the terminology I used. Get over it. :P

I wasn't referencing consuming human flesh, just the fact that our bodies are composed of this animal protein, which, as you said, is harmful. So if our own muscle is harmful to ourselves, then a heart would be unhealthy!
I don't think you're paying close enough attention:

Eating protein created by animals in small amounts is ok, but too much increases your risk of bad stuff.
So... the protein we make ourselves... is bad for ourselves?

Note that I'm talking about *eating* all the way through.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: January 21, 2010, 11:52:26 pm »

Well, whats the difference between eating something and it being part of your body? (the obvious counter example is fecal matter, but that is on its way out ;))

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8681 on: January 22, 2010, 08:43:59 am »

Well, whats the difference between eating something and it being part of your body? (the obvious counter example is fecal matter, but that is on its way out ;))

A lot...

Fecal matter is a good example. Just because something is *in* your body, doesn't mean it can pass through your digestive system/etc without harm.

Your argument makes very little sense. :P

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: January 22, 2010, 11:58:36 am »

A lot...

Fecal matter is a good example. Just because something is *in* your body, doesn't mean it can pass through your digestive system/etc without harm.

Your argument makes very little sense. :P

Your body can convert your own muscle into energy when needed, and in fact, will prefer that method in times of desperation. Fecal matter? Nope. So what is the difference there?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8683 on: January 22, 2010, 12:14:46 pm »
Your body can convert your own muscle into energy when needed, and in fact, will prefer that method in times of desperation. Fecal matter? Nope. So what is the difference there?
How about, the difference is that your body is designed to consume certain things, while other things are harmful. The application that has to anything here? None.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: January 22, 2010, 12:25:51 pm »
How about, the difference is that your body is designed to consume certain things, while other things are harmful. The application that has to anything here? None.
If the human body was not designed to consume meats, you wouldn't have the various enzymes that facilitate the absorption and decomposition of meats. They would, like certain poisons and chemicals, go through the body unchanged and instead be poisonoustoxic ((yay i remembered the word i wanted to use!)). Additionally, you would have no use for the canine and incisors that have been evolved into the human mouth.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:17:12 pm by deadly7 »
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine