Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762091 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #8685 on: January 22, 2010, 01:05:02 pm »
While I'd readily admit that the average vegan probably has a much healthier diet than I, I don't think this is any sort of good argument.  I'm fine with you using it to justify your being vegan, but considering an equally healthy diet is easily possible without the vegan restrictions, I don't think it (unless you suplement it) is a good argument.

The moral argument is more reasonable, but I don't agree with it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8686 on: January 22, 2010, 02:10:33 pm »
While I'd readily admit that the average vegan probably has a much healthier diet than I, I don't think this is any sort of good argument.  I'm fine with you using it to justify your being vegan, but considering an equally healthy diet is easily possible without the vegan restrictions, I don't think it (unless you suplement it) is a good argument.
Please note that throughout the thread, I've tried not to push a vegan agenda. I didn't say not to eat meat/milk/etc, I've said to not eat *much* of them. Although I don't agree with eating animals, I know that others don't take the same stance. That's why I promote a healthy balance.

My point has really been, animal protein has been shown to cause bad stuff. Period. The rest has been arguments about language/other side-channel issues.

If the human body was not designed to consume meats, you wouldn't have the various enzymes that facilitate the absorption and decomposition of meats. They would, like certain poisons and chemicals, go through the body unchanged and instead be poisonoustoxic ((yay i remembered the word i wanted to use!)). Additionally, you would have no use for the canine and incisors that have been evolved into the human mouth.
I am (obviously) not a doctor, but I do know that the human body has trouble metabolizing meat. Yes, we can break down meat and absorb it, but so can herbivores (cows come to mind -- they're frequently fed meat (each other) on farms). At the same time, my understanding is that, like herbivores, we have longer intestines that work well for vegetable matter, because we're able to extract the maximum amount of nutrients from it. Meat, however, begins to decompose because of the length, and that's why it raises your risk of colon cancer and such things.

I haven't done any research to confirm or deny any of that, but it's my understanding from potentially biased sources. :)

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: January 27, 2010, 01:59:53 am »
My roommate this semester is creepy. He sits on his computer browsing facebook like 12 hours a day, and almost never says a word to me. I'm confused at how you can spend that much time on a site like facebook without having any real friends.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: January 27, 2010, 06:55:33 am »
My roommate this semester is creepy. He sits on his computer browsing facebook like 12 hours a day, and almost never says a word to me. I'm confused at how you can spend that much time on a site like facebook without having any real friends.
You COULD stare at it and pretend you do...

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: January 27, 2010, 07:51:27 am »
Install a keylogger when he's asleep, get his password, and remove all his friends.  See how long it takes for him to get them back.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8690 on: January 27, 2010, 11:22:46 am »
Install a keylogger when he's asleep, get his password, and remove all his friends.  See how long it takes for him to get them back.

hahahaha

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8691 on: January 27, 2010, 12:52:23 pm »
+1
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8692 on: January 27, 2010, 03:19:11 pm »

.. creepy. What happened to your old roommate? :(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: January 27, 2010, 06:29:54 pm »
He was an English major and moved to a dorm on the other side of campus to be closer to most of his classes. I like the area I am in but for the most part the only places that aren't painful to walk to from here are the science/engineering/CS buildings.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: January 27, 2010, 10:26:28 pm »
He was an English major and moved to a dorm on the other side of campus to be closer to most of his classes. I like the area I am in but for the most part the only places that aren't painful to walk to from here are the science/engineering/CS buildings.
Creeper. What if he turns out to be a sex offender.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:42:13 pm by Rupert »

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8695 on: January 27, 2010, 10:39:45 pm »
Creeper. what he turns out to be a sex offender.

He'll have a good story to tell?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: January 28, 2010, 01:08:02 pm »
You can learn a lot from Facebook.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8697 on: January 28, 2010, 02:01:12 pm »
Applied to Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman today.  I'm looking to do another summer internship in Maryland (likely that my girlfriend will be there this summer, so I'm taking some initiative).

Anyone know of some places near Bowie, MD (within reasonable commuting distance) that are looking for summer interns?  If it helps, I'll almost certainly have a degree by then.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: January 28, 2010, 04:14:52 pm »
while1 works for Northrup Grumman, ask him :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8699 on: January 28, 2010, 04:59:32 pm »
while1 works for Northrup Grumman, ask him :P

I know he does.  I already applied there, though.