Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762065 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #9030 on: October 20, 2010, 12:36:06 am »
I don't get it...

Why is saying "You seem pretty set" when someone is going to law school lol-worthy?

I guess deadly is still that same snobby-ass Indian kid as before... He's going to work in some lab for decent pay and never get laid.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9031 on: October 20, 2010, 02:41:20 am »
I finally bought a second monitor for dual-monitor goodness. I didn't realize how tiny a 25.5" monitor would make my old 20" look!

dick. :(

My 19" makes my 13" look small. I'm afraid of what will happen if I buy a 24".
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: October 20, 2010, 01:20:37 pm »
My 26" makes me 19" look small.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: October 20, 2010, 01:36:23 pm »
I don't get it...

Why is saying "You seem pretty set" when someone is going to law school lol-worthy?
I've spoken with several lawyers, and know people who have done likewise. The market is oversaturated, especially in the economic downturn. Law school graduates end up largely outside of their field, with a burgeoning amount of debt. According to USN ( http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/items/03153 ) Lubbock is a T3 school, which means that there's a slim chance Crazed may end up getting a job, but it will end up being years to repay his loans. Law isn't the portal to fame and hoes that it used to be, unless you're going to a T1 school and graduate high in your class -- the big law firms that pay 6- and 7-figures recruit exclusively out of there.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 01:39:51 pm by deadly7 »
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: October 20, 2010, 04:59:16 pm »
I don't get it...

I've spoken with several lawyers, and know people who have done likewise. The market is oversaturated, especially in the economic downturn. Law school graduates end up largely outside of their field, with a burgeoning amount of debt. According to USN ( http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/items/03153 ) Lubbock is a T3 school, which means that there's a slim chance Crazed may end up getting a job, but it will end up being years to repay his loans. Law isn't the portal to fame and hoes that it used to be, unless you're going to a T1 school and graduate high in your class -- the big law firms that pay 6- and 7-figures recruit exclusively out of there.

Yup...not exactly "set" with a mediocre job market and fucking...like $90k in loans.  BUT, at the same time, I dont really give a shit about working 90+ hrs a week at a large firm and being a lawyer that is glorified on TV/in the news/etc.  One of my profs was telling us she was BILLING 55hrs/week before she was diagnosed with breast cancer (which means she was probably putting in a realistic 70+ hrs per week).  She was making lower-mid 6 figures, with $50k/yr bonuses and walked away.  At the same time, her senior partner wanted to start his own firm because $700k/yr wasnt enough.  Depends what you want out of life.

Fuck working yourself to death (in a literal sense of health problems).  My former boss made $120k and while he did work for it, he also took about 5 weeks in vacation per year.  It'll take me a while to get to that point, but working for myself will be fine.  I dont want to work with all the politics of a huge firm anyway. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: October 22, 2010, 02:16:08 pm »
I wouldn't necessarily listen to deadly.

If you work hard it's possible to bill a large amount of hours (perhaps even be within the top in your firm...state/region/ or worldwide) even in an economic downturn. Trust me on this one.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: October 22, 2010, 03:55:15 pm »

If you work hard it's possible to bill a large amount of hours (perhaps even be within the top in your firm...state/region/ or worldwide) even in an economic downturn. Trust me on this one.

Trust how have you been? Are you a senior now?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: October 23, 2010, 12:58:53 pm »

Congrats on misconstruing what I said. Lurn2reed more. Once you get a job as a lawyer, depending on where you work you may be able to bill a lot. Many law firms are actually cutting people across the country, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Not to mention, most law firms aren't even hiring right now. Is crazed fucked? Not necessarily. Is he in a tough position, just like all the other kids in his graduating class will be? Yes. Crazed even agreed with my point.

But hey, make overarching statements without any kind of evidence. You'd be perfect as a patent troll lawyer! ;)
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9039 on: October 23, 2010, 03:53:52 pm »
But hey, make overarching statements without any kind of evidence. You'd be perfect as a patent troll lawyer! ;)

:(

I hate lawyers :(

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: October 23, 2010, 07:04:10 pm »
So I had a brief threesome last night. 2nd base with Girl 1 while going to third with Girl 2. At least one of the girls was bisexual. Then brought Girl 2 home and went at it all night. I am sore... very sore.

Girl 1 also stole all my pot.

Bitch.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: October 24, 2010, 02:15:14 pm »

I apologize for your loss. :(

--

Me and 3 friends went out to a state park nearby (Livermore, CA) and walked around for about two hours at midnight, smoking and enjoying the random wind/rain storm that hit while we were there. It was cool. It was like an adventure in black and white.

Begin: week with 4 midterms. Algorithm analysis, theory of computation, analytical mechanics, mathematics for physicists. :(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9042 on: October 25, 2010, 08:53:39 am »

Congrats on misconstruing what I said. Lurn2reed more. Once you get a job as a lawyer, depending on where you work you may be able to bill a lot. Many law firms are actually cutting people across the country, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Not to mention, most law firms aren't even hiring right now. Is crazed fucked? Not necessarily. Is he in a tough position, just like all the other kids in his graduating class will be? Yes. Crazed even agreed with my point.

Firms are making widespread cuts in the downturn, this is true - and even good lawyers are not immune.

What I said, though, was that it is still possible to be a top achiever at your firm but it depends on the person (as with anything.) We don't know CrAz3D's grades, contacts, method of thinking, etc., nor do we know for certain what the market will be when he's admitted to the bar. Consequently I'd prefer to remain optimistic for CrAz3D instead of making a blanket statement of failure. Indeed the law profession is over-saturated, but the law is something that we are required to interact with on a daily basis and is furthermore something very few people understand. The demand for the lawyer is there: but in order to be successful it requires long hours, constant networking, and a legal astuteness.

Additionally, legal billing is kind of interesting. Underperforming associates are not just fired, they are starved of hours over a long course of time. On the other hand, associates that have good relationships with their superior partner (the people finding the work) are going to receive more hours and better cases to bill.

The entire country agrees that new-hires are in a "tough position."

Ender; Hi. Yes, this is my senior year. What are you up to these days? Feel free to message me and catch up.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: October 26, 2010, 04:42:41 pm »
So I had a brief threesome last night. 2nd base with Girl 1 while going to third with Girl 2. At least one of the girls was bisexual. Then brought Girl 2 home and went at it all night. I am sore... very sore.

Bitch.

My roommate/girlfriend offered a 3some with her friend...but then her friend got into a monogamous relationship with some dude.  Fail.

More evidence of crazy: after we got back from our trip this weekend, we were talking and she "confessed" that she had planned on sleeping with me a good while before we finally did.  About a week before we slept together, she was driving me nuts talking about sex.  I sorta jokingly thought "WTF...is she TRYING to drive me insane?"  Apparently she was just trying to drive me to sex, and was just trying to get me into bed.  Now I constantly question the motive of anything she says.  Example:  she has been talking about saying "love."  This coming from the girl that called off her most recent wedding because her fiancee was too much of a push over.  *sigh*

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9044 on: October 26, 2010, 05:07:05 pm »
ech.  that's scary. :|